Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on this AR deal

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    That was a really good deal on the rifle. I agree with your choice of twist rate. Personally I would like the original that was used by the army in Nam that they complained the rounds deflected off vegetation. Don't have vegetation here to worry about, and the unstable round was devastating from what I have been told.

Ammo, be careful with the newer Wolf polymer coated junk. I along with several friends have had nothing but problems with it not only in my M4gery, but my SAR-3 and Norinco 84S-1. Best friend was about to pitch his new M4gery until I told him to try some brass cased ammo. Magically the rifle turned into the bullet hose it should be. Stuck cases, partial ejections, empties that were so cold you could catch them as they ejected and not burn your hands. Went with brass cased and no more problems.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Wolf Gold .223 is supposedly good stuff.

Here is some good 62 gr FMJ and JSP (very good stuff):

m855: http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-55...y-ammo-xm855bk
    62 gr bonded JSP: http://www.sgammo.com/product/hornad...8125n-read-des
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forgot Wolf Gold, it is good stuff because it uses brass cases, not polymer coated steel.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thank you. I may check at WalMart and see what they have that way I can try perhaps one or two different brands and or bullet weights in the 20rd boxes rather than getting 250-500rds just to find out they don't play well with this rifle.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    That was a really good deal on the rifle. I agree with your choice of twist rate. Personally I would like the original that was used by the army in Nam that they complained the rounds deflected off vegetation. Don't have vegetation here to worry about, and the unstable round was devastating from what I have been told.

Ammo, be careful with the newer Wolf polymer coated junk. I along with several friends have had nothing but problems with it not only in my M4gery, but my SAR-3 and Norinco 84S-1. Best friend was about to pitch his new M4gery until I told him to try some brass cased ammo. Magically the rifle turned into the bullet hose it should be. Stuck cases, partial ejections, empties that were so cold you could catch them as they ejected and not burn your hands. Went with brass cased and no more problems.

I thought the original twist from the 'Nam days was 1/12. Anyway. I shoot tons of 62gr and 55 gr through 1/9 twist barrels with no problem. The heavier stuff (75 gr) I use a 1/7 twist.

Sounds like a smokin deal, it should do you well.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

As mentioned this is my first AR so I'm pretty excited, more so than I thought I'd be. I knew from the web that breakdown was pretty simple and it is. Knew there where a lot of accessories/options for these but boy is there! Can see how these could get addictive with extra uppers, all the different mags, grips, forearms, optics, etc. Right now I just want to get this one set up and running then add a few mags ad ammo, maybe some optics like a red dot and or scope. After that I can start looking at a pistol caliber upper, etc.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I thought the original twist from the 'Nam days was 1/12. Anyway. I shoot tons of 62gr and 55 gr through 1/9 twist barrels with no problem. The heavier stuff (75 gr) I use a 1/7 twist.

Sounds like a smokin deal, it should do you well.
    Correct on the 1/12 twist of most of the early AR15/M16s . I believe there were also some done in 1/14. For those who do not know, the many of the original AR15s were select fire before being adopted by the government and renamed M16. The civilian version was later issued as the semi-automatic only AR15.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12