Thread: i need insight.

i need insight.

I take things for pain. Really? kma.
    now what do we know about a caplet named tramadol.
    federal laws are changing 10/6 about medication scrips.
    if you use a class ? narcotic you will have to have a paper written scrip
    from your doctor.
    isn't innovation so great, that we are reverting to where we have pasted.

tramadol. what is it?

got it ok? what does it mean?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol
    Last edited by l921428x; 09-23-2014 at 08:52 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

With Wikipedia referring to Tramadol as an "opioid", that puts it in a class similar to morphine and heroin, drugs derived from the opium poppy.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    With Wikipedia referring to Tramadol as an "opioid", that puts it in a class similar to morphine and heroin, drugs derived from the opium poppy.
    got that. I am trying to determine the difference tween this and 7.5 hydrocone...

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    got that. I am trying to determine the difference tween this and 7.5 hydrocone...
    What difference are you looking for? Cost? medical effectiveness? Dependency? Side effects?

Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lorcet) can be some powerful stuff, rather addictive, and people who take it "as needed" are prone to abuse or overdose.

Tramadol works on those same opiate receptors combined with an anti-depressant (serotonin re-uptake inhibitor), but Tramadol is not actually a opiate but what is called an "atypical opioid", a synthetic that works in a different way, it's also considered a "weak" opioid.

It's not as psychologically addictive, or as physically addictive, but it does have a physically addictive quality, your liver becomes dependent on it, so you can't just stop taking it without serious risk of liver failure.

It was originally marketed as a "safe" painkiller, more antidepressant than opiate, but that hasn't totally turned out to be the case. There have been some overdoses from it, and a few rarer possible side effects have popped up (which isn't so uncommon once something has been on the market awhile...sadly, in our society someone takes a pill then gets hit by lightening and then it has to be listed as a side effect )

It's becoming more popular for treatment of fibromyalgia, but I think the more common treatments are anti-depressants, particularly Duloxetine and Pregabalin.

Obviously I can't recommend anything, but if it's just been diagnosed and you aren't taking anything yet...were it me, I'd try something like those before doing Tramadol or Vicodin.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Tramadol in any dosage I've ever had won't begin to approach 7.5mg Hydrocodone in effectiveness. Hydrocodone such as Loritab, which is available up to 10mg is pretty much the lowest rung on the ladder when it comes to opioids. Tramadol is below Loritab.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

so why would you think that my doc would do that? lower lumbar stenosis is serious pain.
    literally you can be standing and it will feel like a cat just rubbed your leg and in the very next
    moment it feels as if you have an ice pick going thru your hip.

be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    so why would you think that my doc would do that? lower lumbar stenosis is serious pain.
    literally you can be standing and it will feel like a cat just rubbed your leg and in the very next
    moment it feels as if you have an ice pick going thru your hip.
    Probably because Tramadol doesn't have the paperwork involved that hydrocodone now has.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

N/A that is what I am thinking. federal laws change oct 6. so you suffer for what others do, sounds like welfare. I pay for others.

be the heat..

The new law took effect here on the 18th of this month. Instead of getting a Rx with two refills you just have to stop by your doctors office each month and get a new written Rx. Kind of a hassle but not what I'd call suffering. Where the "suffering" comes into play is those individuals that get those refills sooner than they need and abuse or sell the meds.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

well went back today and she gave me a scrip. said it would be the last. now everytime you need this you have to come see me.
    a 12 dollar scrip will now cost 42. she will only write a 1 month scrip. fucking pill mills.

be the heat..

On the subject of pain and so on, I wonder if caffeine intake is part of the issue. Those suffering chronic pain should probably lay off caffeine as it has an effect on nerves, including pain receptor nerves. Caffeine is good enough to be used in 3rd world countries as part of their torture routines, it amplifies or enhances the pain felt.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

a 12 dollar scrip will now cost 42. she will only write a 1 month scrip. fucking pill mills.
    That sucks. I suggest very politely asking the pharmacy if there are any discounts, friends and family pricing, etc. If they say no, ask again with the phrase "I'd hate to have to go price shopping around for these, Is there really nothing available?" or something to that effect.

I had the price of a script go from something like $175 down to $9 when they realized my dad was a doctor (that was a one time thing on some antibiotics though).

Don't know why your Rx would be $42 instead of $17 unless your MD is charging you for an office visit each time they write one which makes no sense since they often fax a refill (non narcotics) when the Pharmacy calls it in for no extra charge. If she used to see you say, every three months and at that time she gave you an Rx with 3 refills I don't know why on earth she would have to "see you" as in an office visit just to give you the two refills between regular visits she was giving you before the law changed?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    The new law took effect here on the 18th of this month. Instead of getting a Rx with two refills you just have to stop by your doctors office each month and get a new written Rx. Kind of a hassle but not what I'd call suffering. Where the "suffering" comes into play is those individuals that get those refills sooner than they need and abuse or sell the meds.

As usual, New York was ahead of the "screw you over some more" game. They reclassified Loritabs from CIII to CII, so now my doctor can't give me a 6 month script, I have to get a new one each month.

NY also has the "Prescription Monitoring Program" (PMP) which cross-links pharmacies so that you can't get multiple scripts filled at different drugstores or get early refills by going to a different store.

As far as "suffering", new Loritab users make the mistake of taking too many at a time, then run out early. The days until the next refill are withdrawal hell.

After going through that once, a Loritab user learns to count out the proper number of pills per day and doesn't take any more than that...
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

I can agree with what you say, she gave me a 1 month scrip, 40 pills, take 1 every 6 hours. somehow even with my limited skills the math does not work.

be the heat..