Thread: Picked Up A New Rock Island Armory M-5

Picked Up A New Rock Island Armory M-5

My Rock Island Armory M-5 arrived today, less than a day and a half after I ordered it. The gun comes pretty well soaked in rust inhibiting oil. No doubt applied to insure it's journey from the Philippines, (one of the wettest and most humid places on Earth), would be rust free. The gun is very well built. I chose the Nickel finish, and it seems to be very evenly applied. The action is no different than all of the rest of these guns I've handled in the past, butter smooth and slick as can be. With the gun vertical resting on the recoil pad, a simple press of the bolt release allows the forearm and bolt to drop without any assistance. Lockup is bank vault tight.

I spent about an hour wiping, cleaning and giving it a wash in clean Kerosene, after which I gave it a good blow drying with compressed air, but I've got it ready to go. I went out back just to cycle some ammo through it, and it accepted everything I ran through it. My dealer said he sells a ton of them, and has never gotten one back. One guy called him telling of an ejection problem. He told him to box it up and bring it in, but the guy never brought it back. I'm anxious to crank this thing up. Being as it's all steel the gun is heavy, (a bit over 7-1/2 pounds empty). I'm not seeing that as a minus because it's not a gun I'll be carrying in the field. It's strictly a range gun and a house self defense weapon. I'm thinking the extra weight will help absorb some recoil when shooting the big Magnum 3" slug and buckshot loads. The design is based on the old High Standard Flight King, with 2 slide bars instead of just one.

If anyone is looking for a well made, reasonably priced fighting shotgun, give this Rock Island Armory M-5 a good look. You won't be disappointed at the quality for the money. I doubt you could find a better deal on a new combat shotgun anywhere. They also come with a lifetime warranty. Pretty hard deal to beat all the way around.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Sounds pretty neat.

Pics?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I'm going to try to get to the range some time next week. I just want to assure myself it runs dependably. I'll take a bunch of different ammo with me. I've got everything from 1-1/8th ounce Trap reloads, to 3" Magnum slugs, buckshot, and Turkey loads. I'll give them all a shot.

This gun does not have an interrupter, much like the Model 12 Winchester. You can hold the trigger back and the gun will fire the instant the bolt locks up, when the slide come to the fully forward position. I mentioned that with the gun vertical resting on the recoil pad, a simple press of the bolt release will allow the bolt and forend to drop open to it's most rearward position.

I was doing some reading last night, and in the 1974 Gun Digest the High Standard Flight King, (the model this gun is patterned after), is advertised as having a "Falling Slide Action". It's without a doubt the slickest pump action I've ever handled. If this gun runs as good as it looks and handles, I'll be happier than a pig in $h!t, and may even pick up another one in the standard Parkerized finish.

well let us know. sounds like fun, what is the bbl length?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

20" barrel length. 4+1 capacity in 2-3/4". 3+1 in 3". It also has a Speed Feed butt stock that hold an additional 2 rounds.