Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assembling a .308 AR - Palmetto State Armory receiver.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Assembling a .308 AR - Palmetto State Armory receiver.

Started to assemble the PSA upper and lower with parts I have around the house, plus a few I ordered.

The good: the upper and lower seem to be decent quality and were inexpensive.

The bad: this thing is only partially "DPMS" pattern. It's actually a proprietary nightmare. It takes mostly AR lower parts like DPMS (everything except the bolt catch and the takedown pins), but the .308 specific parts are not DPMS pattern, they are proprietary. Actually I suspect the bolt catch and takedown pins are Armalite pattern, but I don't want to waste money testing this theory. If these parts aren't Armalite, then PSA has introduced yet another pattern into the mix of AR10 incompatibility. Also, the forward assist is longer than the AR15 assist that is standard with DPMS (doesn't affect me since I'm using an AR gas vent instead - going to run it suppressed) and the standard DPMS pin for the dust cover is slightly too long (I'll cut it down, not buying another).

So, either PSA has introduced yet another standard for a handful of parts or their their gun is a DPMS/Armalite mutt.

Anyway, I got as much assembled today as possible considering the parts issue (I was using an AR LPK augmented with a few DPMS parts). When the Form 1 comes back, it will be getting a 10.5" barrel.

If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    So, either PSA has introduced yet another standard for a handful of parts or their their gun is a DPMS/Armalite mutt.
    Wow. That's a bit of a disappointment.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I was just about to order the PSA LPK just to wrap this up, but curiosity got the best of me and I ordered Armalite parts instead. We will see if my suspicions play out. I think this gun is Armalite for the upper and lower parts kits, but DPMS for the barrel/BCG.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

You're all about the SBR's, aren't you?

I noticed a few days ago that PSA had AR-10 pistol lowers in stock with the Arm Brace already installed. That would be very tempting to me if I had a AR-10 rifle already.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    You're all about the SBR's, aren't you?

I noticed a few days ago that PSA had AR-10 pistol lowers in stock with the Arm Brace already installed. That would be very tempting to me if I had a AR-10 rifle already.
    Yep. Since I usually suppress everything too, an SBR gives you a weapon that is still carbine length suppressed. I'm really curious to see how long the e-file Form 1 takes. I've heard rumors of seven weeks.

It also appears from threads elsewhere that the Geissele SSA-E doesn't work without modification (fortunately I'm using a Timney with a 308 hammer that I had lying around unused). The SSA-E would be the trigger to have in a 7.62 build. Looks like PSA has a mess on their hands.
    Last edited by nfa1934; 09-26-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Wow that is unfortunate. Sounds like they really screwed the pooch on this .308 lower.

PSA just released the proprietary parts for sale individually. The listings include pics of the individual parts (that you couldn't really see in the LPK pics). I am absolutely positive they are Armalite pattern.

Maybe they didn't screw the pooch so badly after all. I don't really have a problem with a mix of DPMS and Armalite patterns as long as I know which parts to get for the different pieces I need. I do have an issue with a new incompatible pattern adding to an already confusing lack of standardization. Probably a lot of other buyers too.

After the post office losing my first order, I finally received my Armalite parts (thanks to Riflegear for shipping a replacement order quickly).

The front take down pin is Armalite pattern, not proprietary.

The bolt catch is Armalite, not proprietary.

Unfortunately the rear takedown pin does appear to be proprietary, the Armalite is still too long. The proprietary pin is Armalite/DPMS diameter, but AR15 length. One freaking part on this rifle is proprietary. Who does something that stupid on a rifle type that already has a confusing mix of incompatibility?

So, the PA10 is AR15 for everything on the lower except Armalite front takedown pin/bolt catch and proprietary Palmetto rear takedown pin. DPMS for everything on the upper. Magazine is SR25/DPMS. And a known issue has arisen that the Geissele SSA-E will not function unless the hammer is modified (this is probably the ideal trigger for an AR10).
    Last edited by nfa1934; 10-17-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Wow, that's messed up. As uniform as the .223 / 5.56 platform is the .308 platform is a hodge-podge of parts sizes. This is no doubt hurting the development of people scaling up to this platform. It certainly has given me pause several times when I've thought about it. Makes me want to go .300 BO or 6.5 Gren.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Wow, that's messed up. As uniform as the .223 / 5.56 platform is the .308 platform is a hodge-podge of parts sizes. This is no doubt hurting the development of people scaling up to this platform. It certainly has given me pause several times when I've thought about it. Makes me want to go .300 BO or 6.5 Gren.
    This.

I owned a Armalite AR10 years ago for a new york minute....did not care for how everyone makes there own parts and since there is no set stantard, I have always questioned quality, ruggedness and relibilty.

Now if I were rich, I would love to own a "real" AR10, but that's beside the point.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Originally planned a 10.5" barrel, but Black Hole Weaponry makes a 7.5". Seriously thinking about making this thing ridiculous. A 7.5" with 1:8.5 twist should stabilize a .308 subsonic with a suppressor (won't cycle the action though). Since a 7.5" barrel would be brutal on a suppressor with supersonic ammo, I'd remove it to shoot supers (and turn it into a ridiculously loud flamethrower).

Edit: decided to stick with 10.5". Handguards are too long for 7.5".
    Last edited by nfa1934; 10-28-2014 at 08:04 PM.

10.5" is still plenty short, it will be hugely loud and the flash will be visible on high noon blue skies days.

9.5" is an option too, but I'm a little concerned about using a pistol length gas system. My current options are 9.5" with pistol gas tube, 10.5" with pistol gas tube, or 10.5" with carbine gas tube. All are available with either 1:8.5 or 1:11 twist. Intend to use all supersonic ammo in the most common weights (145, 147, 150 grain mostly, maybe some 168). Will use mostly suppressed, some unsuppressed if I feel like being an attention whore at the range that day.

I'm leaning toward the 9.5" in 1:11. I'm going to use YHM's new muzzle brake/QD mount, so it will serve as a sacrificial blast baffle in the suppressor. I realize this muzzle device is going to make the rifle even more obnoxious unsuppressed.

Barrel arrived Tuesday. Went with 10.5". Would have had it completed yesterday, but this handguard requires red loctite to cure 24 hrs for the first step in assembly.

This thing is heavy, especially with the stainless steel suppresor. Will be even heavier loaded.

Nice!

The short barrel sure looks sweet.

My local PSA storefront has Smith M&P-10 rifles for $999. My dad got one last weekend so now I have to have one too. Didn't think I needed an AR-10 variant but now I do.

Thats going to be a really nice rifle!
    Im surprised you got anything from PSA.....That has to be the worse company Ive ever dealt with when it comes to gun parts...
    "lost in the mail" twice.
    EXTREMELY long shipping time. twice.

I made the mistake of ordering some FGGM ammo from them because it was so cheep....I KNEW I shouldn't have. But I just figured it would be the 5th order from them, they can't screw up all 5 right?

Well the order was made in Dec. Still no word from them on shipping. Ive tried to call and cancel my order to no avail as well.

Live and learn I guess...No more from me.

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    Thats going to be a really nice rifle!
    Im surprised you got anything from PSA.....That has to be the worse company Ive ever dealt with when it comes to gun parts...
    "lost in the mail" twice.
    EXTREMELY long shipping time. twice.

I made the mistake of ordering some FGGM ammo from them because it was so cheep....I KNEW I shouldn't have. But I just figured it would be the 5th order from them, they can't screw up all 5 right?

Well the order was made in Dec. Still no word from them on shipping. Ive tried to call and cancel my order to no avail as well.

Live and learn I guess...No more from me.
    Wow. I've never had a problem with them, but have heard from others that have. Thankfully there is a storefront within a reasonable distance that I can drive to now that will match the internet price.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Yeah... I don't think I'll be buying any AR10's any time soon. It'd be nice and all, but without parts standardization I can't be bothered.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    Barrel arrived Tuesday. Went with 10.5". Would have had it completed yesterday, but this handguard requires red loctite to cure 24 hrs for the first step in assembly.

This thing is heavy, especially with the stainless steel suppresor. Will be even heavier loaded.
    Really nice looking. I envy you your collection.

So, did you ever get around to shooting that thing? If so how did it function, what kind of accuracy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast