Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assembling a .308 AR - Palmetto State Armory receiver.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Haven't fired it yet. Just got my .308 headspace gauges yesterday. I want to check it before I shoot it.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Thanks for doing all the T&E with PSA's .308 lower nfa. I was seriously thinking about getting one of their "blemished" .308 lowers for $99 for a future build, but I must admit after reading your build issues about their use of 3 different brands/makes of parts (DPMS, Armalite, and 1 proprietary), I'm now thinking I'll stick with DPMS pattern (the most prevalent at the moment). Plus I like what DPMS did with their GII series of .308.

But you sure did make it work out well. Very nice indeed.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    Thanks for doing all the T&E with PSA's .308 lower nfa. I was seriously thinking about getting one of their "blemished" .308 lowers for $99 for a future build, but I must admit after reading your build issues about their use of 3 different brands/makes of parts (DPMS, Armalite, and 1 proprietary), I'm now thinking I'll stick with DPMS pattern (the most prevalent at the moment). Plus I like what DPMS did with their GII series of .308.

But you sure did make it work out well. Very nice indeed.
    You might consider Aero Precision. That's the reciever I would buy now.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    I used an Aero Precision for my AR (5.56 not 308) and I have a few friends that have used the Aero Precisions as well. Never and issue and the price is very good.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    Thanks for the tip!
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I used an Aero Precision for my AR (5.56 not 308) and I have a few friends that have used the Aero Precisions as well. Never and issue and the price is very good.
    I've examined Aero Precision receivers, never purchased one. If you want low cost it is hard to beat an Anderson receiver. I see them at Aim Surplus's web site for $39.95. A local shop now has them in stock for $59.95. With GA sales tax that gets it out the door for just under $64 bucks. These are the AR15 type. I've got 2 of them, 1 rifle and 1 pistol lower. They compare with my Stag, Rock River and Colt lowers IMO.

Headspace is good. Need to find time to get to the range now. Actually my stepdaughter was asking about a range trip last week, so I should go soon (she likes shooting my suppressed .22 pistol).

Ordered a GG&G bipod to use when I have the suppressor attached. I know a bipod on an SBR is a little silly, but the can brings the length out to an ordinary unsuppressed carbine length (And the stainless YHM Phantom weighs a ton). Bought the quick detach version of the XDS-2, so I can use it on multiple rifles (and take it off the SBR when there is no can attached).

Brownells has DPMS ATACS .308 stripped lowers on sale for $129.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...zz1zzClearance

Bipod arrived. Even the 25rd PMAGs clear the ground. I'm liking the 20rd D&H mags, unlike the DPMS steel mags they hold a full 20 rounds and unlike the ASC/C Products steel mags they drop free.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Very nice!

Palmetto had a complete 16" .308 carbine for $719. I would have been seriously tempted if I had the money.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12