Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ebola hits Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Just looking at the CDC stats. Liberia is the hardest hit of the African countries in the worst Ebola outbreak in history with 1,830 dead. Given the total population of 4,000,000 that equates to .0004575% or 4.5/1000ths of 1% of the population dead six months after the outbreak in Africa started. Seems like a pretty small loss of life when you consider Liberia is not exactly a bastion of modern civilization compared to the United States. Now if you are of the belief that is all an intentional act by the current administration, the Illuminati, those lizard people at the center of the earth, etc. then I can see where you would dismiss these facts and continue to circle the wagons however, for the rest of us it might just be, at least a little food for thought. Just saying.
    Time is also a factor. The stats that you are referring to are as "so far". The real question is when will ebola exhaust itself and stop spreading and what it's R nought factor is. Definitely check out the site I posted. I am not pressing the panic buttons yet, but I am already prepping for the worst, stocking up on bleach, gloves etc.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    Time is also a factor. The stats that you are referring to are as "so far". The real question is when will ebola exhaust itself and stop spreading and what it's R nought factor is. Definitely check out the site I posted. I am not pressing the panic buttons yet, but I am already prepping for the worst, stocking up on bleach, gloves etc.
    Hard to say. It's been popping up since 1976. Apparently in shithole, third world countries it reeks limited havoc every few years without the benefit of much in the way of modern medical intervention. I'm just not buying it that now that we have the first case here it's going to ravage the American population. As with any disease it should be a concern or perhaps potential concern but we are so far from a crisis at this point it's not funny.

One side effect could be a major reduction in the numbers of illegal border entries as well as a bunch hurrying back across the border to avoid infection though I'm not hanging my hat on either of those at the moment. Really the best thing we can do is screen all passengers entering the country, particularly from African nations though folks go from Africa to other countries before coming here so that's not a guarantee either. We should also add a question to be asked of all people going to their doctor, urgent care or ER, "Have you been outside the country in the last 30 days or know someone who has?"
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The earlier outbreaks werre likely a different strain. The virus must have mutated rendering it more viable. That would explain why this outbreak is so much worse than the prior outbreaks.

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    The earlier outbreaks werre likely a different strain. The virus must have mutated rendering it more viable. That would explain why this outbreak is so much worse than the prior outbreaks.
    Here's some info on what scientists feel contributed to the severity of the most recent outbreak.

http://www.livescience.com/47140-ebo...ak-causes.html

Basically the worst of the five know strains of Ebola migrated via bats to some of the poorest countries in Africa. Heard Dana Perino on The Five talking about how she's been to Sierra Leone and according to her, "There's barely a light switch in the place".
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Apparently the CDC is concerned enough to warn funeral homes on body handling...

http://conservativeread.com/cdc-warn...ebola-victims/

Precautionary? Or expectational?
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Apparently the CDC is concerned enough to warn funeral homes on body handling...

Kind of makes sense from a precautionary standpoint. Precaution or expectation is kind of like the glass being half full or half empty. It's what ever you want it to be to fit you beliefs. If you believe it's all conspiracy there wouldn't be telling the funeral homes anything as they would be looking to maximize the death toll. Not sure what they would be telling funeral homes that is a departure from their normal practices. Funeral homes don't take bodies without a death certificate listing cause of death and I presume they use safety equipment when preparing bodies regardless of the cause of death. Doubt that they need to be told that the body of an ebola victim can't have an open coffin service and more than any other body that succumbed to an infectious disease.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

IMO there's only one proper way to handle the Ebola dead, incineration to ash. What does a mortuary do with blood they drain out while pumping in embalming fluid. Down a storm drain or down a sink that goes into a water treatment plant? If there are 5 strains of it, that means it has mutated 4 times from the original. Nobody can say when that 6th mutation will manifest and how it will present. Might just be a viable air born flue like version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    IMO there's only one proper way to handle the Ebola dead, incineration to ash. What does a mortuary do with blood they drain out while pumping in embalming fluid. Down a storm drain or down a sink that goes into a water treatment plant? If there are 5 strains of it, that means it has mutated 4 times from the original. Nobody can say when that 6th mutation will manifest and how it will present. Might just be a viable air born flue like version of it.
    http://funeralplan.com/askexperts/bloodembalming.html

Mixed with the embalming fluid to disinfect, sometimes additional disinfectants are added then into the sewer treatment plant. Drinking water doesn't normally come from treated sewage though the two do combine at some point in the aquafir though the sewer water really isn't sewage by then.

The strain of Ebola involved in this latest outbreak, Ebola - Zaire was first diagnosed in 1976 while it may be a mutated strain it's not a new one. Most of them seem to have originated from different parts of Africa so they are different strains. Some are not harmful to humans and some have only occurred once or twice infected 10 or fewer with varying mortality rates
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 10-01-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Mortuaries are told not to embalm. The recommendations are for health care workers and mortuaries. The mortuary will receive the body wrapped in a plastic shroud then zipped into 2 body bags. This is to be incinerated or buried in a hermetically sealed casket.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/gui...ortuaries.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    Mortuaries are told not to embalm. The recommendations are for health care workers and mortuaries. The mortuary will receive the body wrapped in a plastic shroud then zipped into 2 body bags. This is to be incinerated or buried in a hermetically sealed casket.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/gui...ortuaries.html
    Makes sense. Why embalm a body if it won't be viewed?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Good to know you guys feel a government that has turned the ME into turmoil from stem to stern; unleashed multiple diseases, many previously all but eradicated, back into the US in record numbers, along with several new ones; have sent healthcare prices soaring, as well as energy and food prices; and has abetted islamofascism at every turn...is so well equipped to turn the tide on a pandemic.

I'm sure that will work out well for you...
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Good to know you guys feel a government that has turned the ME into turmoil from stem to stern; unleashed multiple diseases, many previously all but eradicated, back into the US in record numbers, along with several new ones; have sent healthcare prices soaring, as well as energy and food prices; and has abetted islamofascism at every turn...is so well equipped to turn the tide on a pandemic.

I'm sure that will work out well for you...
    Not trying to rain on your parade. Just tossing out some facts and a little common sense. You're free to ignore or counter as you are able.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

thanks Oswald that is what I was trying to say. I don't know what set Richard off but I was in no way saying grab your gun and your bag.
    I in no way trust our .gov. if we all die, I bet dc will be there.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    thanks Oswald that is what I was trying to say. I don't know what set Richard off but I was in no way saying grab your gun and your bag.
    I in no way trust our .gov. if we all die, I bet dc will be there.
    Nothing has "set me off". I'm just posting information which some appear to be lacking. That shouldn't feel threatening to anyone.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Roadhouse Groupee

I'm less concerned about a possible outbreak here than the shining example of our fucked up health care system

In times of real enough crisis, enough first responders will pull together, get their shit together and get things done, despite obamacare and the incompetence of so called superiors.

As for us, the best we can do is stay low and out of the way in the worst of the crisis. Stock up and prepare to live the hermit life until the worst blows over.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

I am willing to bet...

this will not be the first case the muslims send over here....................chris3

White House: No Ebola travel restrictions
    http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...eMHszc.twitter

Report: “Disaster Teams Were Notified Months Ago They Would Be Activated in October”
    http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...tober_10012014

U.S. Ebola patient helped carry convulsing pregnant woman who later died of the virus days before he flew to Texas. Four more of his neighbors died too: So how was he allowed to board a plane?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3F0VmeZVF

U.S. Ebola Patient Had Layover in Dulles, CDC Didn't Inform Other Passengers
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...tional-Airport

The CDC Does Nothing As Ebola Potentially Spreads from Dallas to Portland to Payson (AZ) to NYC
    http://www.thecommonsenseshow.com/20...son-az-to-nyc/

Possible Ebola contacts now up to 80
    http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10...case.html?rh=1

United Airlines releases flight numbers for the planes Thomas Duncan caught from Liberia to Dallas
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3F0XSc6xu

I think this might be jihad from the white house.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

damn now why would Liberia say that they may prosecute him? cluck cluck cluck cluck
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    White House: No Ebola travel restrictions
    http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...eMHszc.twitter
    Right there is reason enough for impeachment. Dereliction of duty by deliberately not taking precautions against spreading the virus to our shores.

Let call him Barack Hussein Ebola.

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast