Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can show you my mak90 now

I can show you my mak90 now

When I first joined this forum I had no pic taking abilities. This has been rectified.
    What I know and don't know: 1) It's a 92. 2) Imported by glnc peoples liberation army. 3) It's a ribbed mag which is supposed to be good. 3) It looks like a real under folder but mechanism is missing.bolted in place. Not sure about that pin in the underfolder arm. 4) It looks like tang broken off rear trunion. 5) Because of the year (92) I doubt it was one of those underfolders that was held up in customs to have the thumbhole added with the underfolder closed.
    Well anything to add or subtract appreciated. Hope pics are clear. New at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sorry it took a while to wipe the tears from my eyes after looking at those pictures.

The holes in the sides of the receiver have been hogged out in what looks like a previous owners attempt at bubbafication. Why is anyone's guess unless they could not find the correct folding mechanism and put together that bolt and nut setup. Guessing the pin is in the stock to keep it in place after the previous owner either opened or closed it because the home made stuff didn't have the needed locking ring.

Also can't figure why the rear cover was cut like that, but...

The MAK-90s and NHM90s that came in with underfolding receivers had small plates riveted over the holes and a standard stock tang welded to the rear cover plate. The Bush-hole stock would bolt to that and use the pistol grip as the second locking device.

Unfortunately it looks like you will never be able to use the standard folding mechanism. Guessing if you want to go with Bubba's setup, you could use the pin in the stock to lock the folder open or closed if it is easy to remove and reinstall, but without physically looking at the parts, from the pictures it appears to be a pain to do.

Wow!

Thanks for the info. So the receiver was an underfolder but the hole was enlarged? When it's bolted in place in the open position it's tight. I can shoulder it and it shoots fine. Hey, I can't complain. I never thought I would own one in any condition.

The fact that you can bolt the stock solidly in place means you have a great shooter. The Chinese fire control groups were arguably the best in the business. Enjoy your rifle for what it is, a great shooter that got banned because it looked evil, which makes it great!

By the way look at my first pic with the importer info. The hole does not look as distorted.

Tried to dig out one of my underfolders but you would have to see my safe to understand why it would be a virtual impossibility. (Point of fact, only two people other than myself have seen the inside of my safe, one my daughter, the other a member of this site who knows better. )

After looking at your photos over and over, even though something doesn't seem right, I have to say that it is possible like you say, it could very well be the photos that make the holes look distorted. I wish I had an underfolder receiver without the folder installed to measure the diameter of the hole, but my brain is telling me that it looks like it has been slightly enlarged.

The hard part would be to find the correct Chinese mechanism and see if it fits. Even if it doesn't, you wouldn't be out any money as parts for the old Norinco are worth their weight in gold so resale would not be a problem.

That trunion pic is definitely distorted. The holes are symmetrical. They are both 0.637 across all the way around. I just looked on a you tube installation of the mechanism and mine looks close. There may be hope yet although it's fine the way it is. Hey, I think it's great that your safe is choke full of firearms. LOL.

Got a shot of the barrel?
    Just wondering if the cleaning rod is in place.
    Even if the bayonet lugs are ground down they still held their original looks
    Good shooters
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Got a shot of the barrel?
    Just wondering if the cleaning rod is in place.
    Even if the bayonet lugs are ground down they still held their original looks
    Good shooters
    Did not come with a cleaning rod. Lugs are ground down.

I stumbled across this guys info. What do you think?

Chinese underfolders do not use a rear trunnion as part of the folding mechanism. The dimpled receiver acts as the rear trunnion for the underfolder mechanism. The abbreviated rear trunnion is simply a strengthening cap and a guide for the recoil assembly at the rear of the receiver.
    Since the Romanian and Chinese are both single sided locking underfolders they seem very similar and both have the downward sloping stock angle. I have built and assembled a fair number of euro underfolders including the Bulgarian and Romanian which AFAIK..., both model after the early Russia folders as do the Chinese.
    So I would say there is a good chance the Romanian assembly would work in a Chinese. A Chinese would be better.., but likely cost 3x as much as the Romanian.
    I have visually inspected the Chinese and Romanian UF I own. Very similar. But have not measured or tried to fit up the parts as an interchange. I do have a Chinese underfolder stock and a Romanian internal assembly that I may part with if your research and find they are compatible. As noted the trunnion is not an issue and I assume the plate or rear you mention is just the same as a regular Chinese underfolder. Takes pics and I can confirm that for you.

The writer is correct, the Chinese use a plate that is riveted to the rear of the receiver to cover it and to serve as a place for the recoil spring retainer to lock into. The receiver is dimpled on both sides to add the strength for the folding mechanism.

Pardon my confusion. In your first reply to me you said "You did not know why the rear cover was cut like that". Are you referring to that riveted back plate between the receiver sides? Is the cut the open space below that plate? That opening should not be there? Could that opening be for a tongue on a wooden stock to fit in? Been trying to find pics on all of this to see how it all fits together. Thanks for your patience.

The plate is a double angle style that covers the whole rear of the receiver. The plate on your rifle had the lower 1/3 or so removed, guessing someone installed a standard stock there and used the stock tang that was installed to originally hold the bush-hole stock. That plate that is held on by two rivets on either side of the receive is supposed to cover the complete rear of the receiver.

Yes I don't know why the rear cover had the lower part cut off but I am guessing that someone tried to slip in a standard stock.

Don't worry about my patience. When it comes to helping someone figure out an odd-ball Norinco or Poly Tech I have all the patience in the world.

nhm90 223T.jpgThis poorly uploaded photo shows an NHM90 which was virtually identical to the MAK-90. This is how your rifle was originally allowed into the land of shall not be infringed.

I think I see. A standard stock with a separate pistol grip as opposed to the one piece Bush hole. I like the term Bush hole. Covers the stock and the guy. LOL.

I saw a pic of a before tampering plate on Ironwoods sight. With this explanation. Pic does not show up though:

Chinese MAK stamped angle cut with welded rear

plate and tang.

•This model was a folder MAK, that had the receiver end

welded shut, and the rear stock mounting tang welded on

as well.

• No stock can be mounted to this receiver type without serious

custom modifications. We have yet to see anyone bother with

modifying this model to accept a traditional AK butt stock.

Last edited by imanaknut; 10-05-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added photo

That picture shows what your receiver looked like before it was modified (I like to call it Bubbafied when someone modifies something beyond reason).

The tang was welded to the rear cover plate and easily removed with a dremel and a rebluing.

Actually, mine looks more like this set up. This has the double angle but it's not an underfolder receiver. The previous for an underfolder, has an angle that comes straight down. Confusing.
    http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDreceiv...KangleSTMP.jpgChinese MAK stamped angle cut receiver

•Double angle cut at rear of receiver

•Basically a cut version of the receiver shown above.

•These receiver types were not a factory original item, but a modified standard receiver, made to fit the sporter thumbhole post-ban imports.

•Tolerances can vary regarding the angle cut portion of the receiver. In most cases, our stocks will mate up

True, your rifle was a 56S-1 before the Bush order to ATF to enforce the 1968 GCA and that wonderful sporting purpose clause of the constitution that no one can find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast