Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrying a .44 Magnum... Are you kidding me!?

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Nope, wouldn't carry a .44 magnum. The short barrels like Richard mentioned will give super muzzle flash and be loud as a howitzer going off! Also 2 to 3" of barrel won't deliver much real speed to the bullet, that's the muzzle flash the size of a basket ball. Most of the powder and speed is lost in pushing the bullet in the short tubes. Yes a Glock 30 in .45 ACP or the 29 in 10 mm should be far better choices for CCW application if he want's big-bore weaponry. In the winter I CCW a model 21 Glock in.45 ACP. In warm weather I use a Glock 19 in 9 mm with 124 gr. Gold Dot ammo.
    This^. Also a huge fan of the Gold Dots!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Classic Clint Eastwood, gotta love it! But this ain't Hollywood guys.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Classic Clint Eastwood, gotta love it! But this ain't Hollywood guys.
    My stepdad carried a S&W .44 mag in a shoulder holster sometimes when he did locksmithing. So it is not far fetched, but I agree with everyone here that it is not the best carry pistol whether open or concealed. In low light conditions the flash would be to much and combined with the recoil it would make it difficult to visually achieve a follow up shot.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    My stepdad carried a S&W .44 mag in a shoulder holster sometimes when he did locksmithing. So it is not far fetched, but I agree with everyone here that it is not the best carry pistol whether open or concealed. In low light conditions the flash would be to much and combined with the recoil it would make it difficult to visually achieve a follow up shot.
    As I said before, get yourself some Gold Dot .44 Specials for two-legged critters.

Magnums for bears, armor, and 100 yard targets.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    As I said before, get yourself some Gold Dot .44 Specials for two-legged critters.

Magnums for bears, armor, and 100 yard targets.
    Will most .44 mags fire specials safely? Like the .357 revolvers will for .38 special.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    Will most .44 mags fire specials safely? Like the .357 revolvers will for .38 special.
    Yep.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I carry a full size S&W 686 SSR in .357 magnum during the colder months in a shoulder rig. I couldn't see myself carrying a .44 magnum though; the weight of the gun and massive recoil makes it somewhat impractical.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12