Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a .44 Magnum... Are you kidding me!?

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Carrying a .44 Magnum... Are you kidding me!?

After doing some shooting today, my buddy (who has been on the fence about carrying a gun for some time) finally decided a gun was a better weapon than his pig sticker after a simple water jug demonstration. Finally, I broke through to the guy! But his decision making process baffles the hell out of me. After shooting my Glock and Dustin's .44 Magnum S&W , he's hell bent on carrying a .44 Magnum. The reason he cited: the superior power of the cartridge. What I've tried telling him is bigger isn't always better, especially when carrying a gun for defense. I mean the weight of one of these 6 shooters makes for slower target acquisition, the barrel length not only makes drawing a clumsier affair, but also makes the weapon damn hard to conceal, especially in the warmer months! I'm currently working on talking him into a 10mm or .45ACP, something manageable that'll still pack enough punch for the guy to be satisfied. The guy can shoot decently, and isn't an idiot about handling guns, but when it comes to concealed carry he doesn't have a damn clue! Why anyone remotely knowledgeable about guns would consider this is beyond me.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Lots of folks including my self carry a S&W N frame for CCW. I carry a 3" 610-2 in 10mm but a 2.5" or 3" in .44 mag would carry the same. He don't have to shoot full house magnums in it. I do carry mine during the fall/winter months where even a light jacket is enough to conceal. As long as he's not looking at an 8"+ barrel he could be just fine.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nope, wouldn't carry a .44 magnum. The short barrels like Richard mentioned will give super muzzle flash and be loud as a howitzer going off! Also 2 to 3" of barrel won't deliver much real speed to the bullet, that's the muzzle flash the size of a basket ball. Most of the powder and speed is lost in pushing the bullet in the short tubes. Yes a Glock 30 in .45 ACP or the 29 in 10 mm should be far better choices for CCW application if he want's big-bore weaponry. In the winter I CCW a model 21 Glock in.45 ACP. In warm weather I use a Glock 19 in 9 mm with 124 gr. Gold Dot ammo.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

As far as carrying goes, a lot depends on the body size of the individual. A small-framed guy won't be able to conceal a large revolver as well as a heavier-built guy. I'm large enough to conceal a SW Mod. 29 with 3 in. barrel, but prefer to carry a Bond Arms .45/.410 as it's thinner and easier to conceal.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

if you use .410 shells what do you use?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    After doing some shooting today, my buddy (who has been on the fence about carrying a gun for some time) finally decided a gun was a better weapon than his pig sticker after a simple water jug demonstration. Finally, I broke through to the guy! But his decision making process baffles the hell out of me. After shooting my Glock and Dustin's .44 Magnum S&W , he's hell bent on carrying a .44 Magnum. The reason he cited: the superior power of the cartridge. What I've tried telling him is bigger isn't always better, especially when carrying a gun for defense. I mean the weight of one of these 6 shooters makes for slower target acquisition, the barrel length not only makes drawing a clumsier affair, but also makes the weapon damn hard to conceal, especially in the warmer months! I'm currently working on talking him into a 10mm or .45ACP, something manageable that'll still pack enough punch for the guy to be satisfied. The guy can shoot decently, and isn't an idiot about handling guns, but when it comes to concealed carry he doesn't have a damn clue! Why anyone remotely knowledgeable about guns would consider this is beyond me.
    I wouldn't want a revolver for carry. I know they are probably more reliable than a semi-auto, but having only 5 or 6 shots doesn't thrill me.

My older 1911 (the 1920 pistol) is reliable... it never fails to fire and it never jams up, so I carry that (plus 2 spare mags).

For that matter, all my pistols are reliable, but I prefer the big heavy .45 cal slug.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Nope, wouldn't carry a .44 magnum. The short barrels like Richard mentioned will give super muzzle flash and be loud as a howitzer going off! Also 2 to 3" of barrel won't deliver much real speed to the bullet, that's the muzzle flash the size of a basket ball. Most of the powder and speed is lost in pushing the bullet in the short tubes. Yes a Glock 30 in .45 ACP or the 29 in 10 mm should be far better choices for CCW application if he want's big-bore weaponry. In the winter I CCW a model 21 Glock in.45 ACP. In warm weather I use a Glock 19 in 9 mm with 124 gr. Gold Dot ammo.
    For a revolver, it seems to me that a .357 magnum would make the most sense. Practice with .38 and carry .357, right?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Load up with .44 Specials for self defense, and hot magnums for hunting and bear defense.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    A S&W Governor.

Or a Taurus judge if you ain't got no money.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    For a revolver, it seems to me that a .357 magnum would make the most sense. Practice with .38 and carry .357, right?
    .357 will also split your ears.

I was surprised to see how much of a majority of members at the S&W revolver forum recommended the .45 ACP Smith 625 for home defense over the .357 models, citing muzzle flash, flip, and blast. As well as citing the effectiveness of modern .45 ACP defensive loads.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    .357 will also split your ears.

I was surprised to see how much of a majority of members at the S&W revolver forum recommended the .45 ACP Smith 625 for home defense over the .357 models, citing muzzle flash, flip, and blast. As well as citing the effectiveness of modern .45 ACP defensive loads.
    I've got a 4" Model 22 and a 3.5" M25-14 and prefer both to my 4" Model 28-2. Partially due to the 45ACP round and partially due to the fact they both take full moon clips so reloads are faster, at least for me. Same with my 610-2 in 10mm. Those full moon clips are just faster for me than a speedloader. Plus when you eject the full moon everything comes out together so there is no worry that an empty case slipped over the ejector star or got hung up against the top of the stock or the cylinder release.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    For the most part, I, usually, load it with 2-1/2" Winchester, 000 Buck (3 pellets, copper plated).
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Only time I ever carried my .44 was on spring camping trips to hills....shoulder rig. That, was only in a Bear area.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    Only time I ever carried my .44 was on spring camping trips to hills....shoulder rig. That, was only in a Bear area.
    Dan
    I was gonna say that. Good Answer Dan Morris. When I visited my friends in ALASKA I carried a Model 29 Stainless. I don't even know if that will stop a Kodiak though.

IIRC, Massad did an article (his normal gun fight breakdown article) in American Handgunner years ago about a woman that carried a 44 in her purse. She won the fight.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

And he'll carry it a time or two....until the new wears off.

Then it'll sit at home or in the glovebox because it's a burden to carry.

But don't waste your time trying to convince him otherwise, let him live and learn.

Experience is the best teacher.

On the bright side you might be able to get a good deal on the .44 when he realizes he needs something more carry friendly.

Last edited by weevil; 10-23-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Forgot about this thread. Schuetz, thanks for filling in my blanks. Weevil... He's since been talked into Glock's 10mm. Came to his senses. Tank Monkey, If I were worried about grizzlies in Ohio, a .44mag would be the smallest gun I recommend anyone carry. That ain't the case though. L1A1, glad it worked out. Any gun is better than no gun. I still see .44 mag as an inferior weapon for CCW compared to a smaller semi-auto or double action 6 shooter.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Weevil... He's since been talked into Glock's 10mm. Came to his senses.

Good choice!

One of my carry options is a G29-SF.

Bascially a magnum revolver in pistol form. Not .44 mag levels but somewhere between a .357 and low end .41 mag depending on the loads.
    Last edited by weevil; 10-23-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Wink

Some guys can handle it, no probs:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast