Thread: is 762x54 used as

is 762x54 used as

the Russian light machine gun round?
    like the 762x51 is for our machine guns?
    I think I know it is but I was reading somewhere else that they were surprised
    to read isis was using it.
    did I miss sumpin?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I would assume so as the PKM and Pecheneg are belt fed machine guns and they both are cambered in 7.62X54R. I've seen them both used in light and medium roles. PKMs are almost as common as AK's in some parts of the world( not here dammit).

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

As noted above the 7.62x54r is used in still used in that role. In fact I'm pretty sure it is the oldest military round still in use.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    As noted above the 7.62x54r is used in still used in that role. In fact I'm pretty sure it is the oldest military round still in use.
    It is the oldest continuously in service military cartridge bar none that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    It is the oldest continuously in service military cartridge bar none that I know of.
    Yuppers.

I think the second would 30-06...(last I heard the Mexican military still carries LMG's in that caliber)
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Even so, the 7.63x54r is about 10 years older than the 30-06.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Yep. The .50cal is probably a close 2nd as far as U.S. munitions go also the 45 ACP though I don't know if you can say it's been used continuously since we did switch to the 9x19 but I guess the 45 ACP was still used by some units and IIRC some units are gong back to it.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

The 9mm Luger was invented in 1902 and first adopted by the German navy in 1904 and is still in use to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    The 9mm Luger was invented in 1902 and first adopted by the German navy in 1904 and is still in use to this day.
    Yes but the 7.62x54r has been around since 1891 with the launch of the Model 1891 Mosin Nagant rifles for Russia.

was_peacemaker
    If I am not mistaken the weight of the LMG rounds are/were heavier than the Mosin and SVD issued rounds. I think the LMG rounds are around 170-180 gr. Whereas the Mosin and SVD rounds are between 140-150gr.

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    If I am not mistaken the weight of the LMG rounds are/were heavier than the Mosin and SVD issued rounds. I think the LMG rounds are around 170-180 gr. Whereas the Mosin and SVD rounds are between 140-150gr.
    I think you are mistaken on this. The bullet weight is linked to the original cartridge having a heavier bullet as that was the norm of the time. The original was a 210 gr. round nose bullet. By 1908 they went to the lighter 147 gr. bullet was picked as it used less resources and on the whole did the job as well or better. Lighter bullet gave faster bullet speed and therefore reduced bullet drop. Certain countries preferred the heavier 170 to 180 gr. bullet weights. The Yugoslavs in particular stuck with 180 gr. and it had a boat tail. I've shot a lot of that ammo and it was very accurate in the M39 Finns and the 91-30's I owned at the time. Countries that had the earlier heavier bullets put the silver paint on the tips of the lighter bullets to mark them for easy identification. Similar to how M855 ammo has green tips in the US to show the difference between the M193 55 gr. Vietnam era rounds for the 5.56 / .223 cartridge.

The US .30-06 round started with a 220 gr. round nose bullet and then was transitioned to the lighter 152 gr. Spitzer flat bottomed bullet. This weight was designated M2 Ball.

IIRC I've got a crate of 7.62x54r with a silver and yellow stripe on the outside of the crate. Might be Hungarian or Yugo. Guess I need to go through the armory and do another inventory.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Yes but the 7.62x54r has been around since 1891 with the launch of the Model 1891 Mosin Nagant rifles for Russia.
    Yes, not questioning that just since the discussion had turned to .45acp and 30-06 I felt it was worth mentioning that 9mm outdates those.

You're right though 7.62x54r is the champ for longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Yes, not questioning that just since the discussion had turned to .45acp and 30-06 I felt it was worth mentioning that 9mm outdates those.

You're right though 7.62x54r is the champ for longevity.
    Sorry, tunnel vision on my part. I was looking at your post with the 54r round in mind. Forgot about the other rounds mentioned though I had skimmed the content.

Sorry, tunnel vision on my part. I was looking at your post with the 54r round in mind. Forgot about the other rounds mentioned though I had skimmed the content.

Oh no problem, yeah these threads do have a habit of wandering off topic.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    IIRC I've got a crate of 7.62x54r with a silver and yellow stripe on the outside of the crate. Might be Hungarian or Yugo. Guess I need to go through the armory and do another inventory.
    I had some of that to, and I believe it was Hungarian. At least that was what it was advertised as. Really, dirty stuff.