Thread: I made a phony cleaning rod for my mak

I made a phony cleaning rod for my mak

In another thread Full Otto asked to see my barrel with cleaning rod. Mine did not have a rod. It got me to thinking. I looked at pics of ak's and liked that it looked more authentic. I was going to order one but I remembered my receiver is not threaded for one. How was it going to stay in Place? Would it be snug enough just pushed in place? I started looking at my collection of dowels and rods and came up with a vinyl coated wood one. It was perfect. Very snug. Had to lightly tap it down with a rubber mallet. Got it back out. Cut it. Painted it black. It was ALMOST perfect. However, I did not like the way it looked under the front sight. Kinda hanging down with space in-between. What to fill that space with? JB weld? Na too involved. Then I remembered I had vhb tape. That holds anything. One piece was too thin so I sandwich two together. Degreased the under side of the sight,pressed the tape in place,trimmed so it was the dia of the rod and touched it up with black paint. Looks even with the cut bayo lugs under the gas block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I really like seeing things like this!!!

One suggestion, the end of the cleaning rod on most AKMs ends in about the middle of the lug under the gas block. The ones that don't are usually AK-74 variants and use the muzzle brake to retain the rod.

Regardless, that is one great idea and looks nice!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post

One suggestion, the end of the cleaning rod on most AKMs ends in about the middle of the lug under the gas block. The ones that don't are usually AK-74 variants and use the muzzle brake to retain the rod.

Regardless, that is one great idea and looks nice!
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...T-89-01131.jpg
    I went by this pic:

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Does your AK not have the "slot" for the cleaning rod to snap into? On my WASR (and I assumed most AKM platformed rifles) the cleaning rod goes through the bayonet lug, down into the hole in the end of the lower hand guard until the larger end of it catches on this "slot". You then have to bend the rod away from the rifle, push further into the hand guard, and then let go once it snaps into place.

If you'd rather stick with you phony rod, then by all means do it, I just thought you may prefer your rifle look correct with a proper length and placed "rod", being that it's aesthetics you're interested in.
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 10-09-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: minor correction.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

And I just realized I'm in the Chinese AK section. A little out of my element on these ones.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

My lugs were cut off to conform with the "sporting" edict of the time. The rod would only be able to slide thru the hole on the bottom of lower hand guard. The rods I have seen are threaded on one end. That end gets screwed into the receiver. My receiver is not threaded. Yes, I would love to have the proper stuff but thanks to the government they had the importers butcher a nice piece of history so the rifles would not look "evil".

Sounds like presidential fucktardery.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Sounds like presidential fucktardery.
    To put it mildly. LOL.

By the way every time I hear the term "had my lugs cut off" I can't help thinking of a male dog that had his balls cut off. They kinda of emasculated these rifles also back in the day. LOL.

One thing if anyone likes this idea and wants to do it. It will be a little tedious to get the lower hand guard off once it's done. I thought of this also but as I really have no reason to take the lower off frequently I was ok with it. The upper comes off more often for cleaning.

Hence why most post ban rifles (post pretty much any ban) are frequently referred to as neutered rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post

...............that is one great idea and looks nice!
    Same here kind of an "in your face" thing I guess
    Way to go fez

I did one many years ago now, had the rod just no front sight holder or lugs.
    Actually made the pieces from metal with a dremel and file. Had access to a shop then and was able to weld them up
    From five feet away you couldn't tell the difference
    Have since sold the gun. Why after all that work?
    Kind of kick myself sometimes guess I just wanted a preban
    Last edited by Full Otto; 10-13-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe