Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Toy.

New Toy.

I had a sudden urge to get one. NO real reason or use either.

Modgear plate carrier (didn't know the name at time of purchase) but similar ones were about $90 on ebay
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MOLLE-338

AR500 ballistic Plates from Ebay that are die curved not brake bent, and that have been Rinolined for spall protection.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/321280776801...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And basic moral patches and a Condor mag carrier (holds 6mags)

It fits perfectly (its a one size fits most).

Stitching is very well done except for one spot on the back.
    There are pockets for front and back plates, as well as padding and a mesh for ventilation.
    There is a quick release pull (it comes with 2) to remove the whole thing with one pull, and it works well.
    There are also loops for a camelback tube on each shoulder.

I am wearing it now as I type, just to get a feel for it. Our guys in the desert have to wear these every day. Its very heavy when you hold it but feels light as you wear it.

There are no side plate pockets, but I am going to get pouches for side plates.... Again for no real reason.

I don't play paintball or airsoft, so there is no real reason to have this other than
    I had an urge.

I bought this after looking at several for over a week, then narrowed it down based on you tube vids.
    Same goes with the armor. There are many vids of tests on these plates.

These plates arrived DAYS after manufacturer, and steel has no expiration dates.

Hey guys that have combat experience PLEASE chime in on your personal experiences with your own vests.

BISHOP

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Funny you should mention it. I was just discussing with circle_10 the other day about how I should get some armor

I LIKE THIS ONE (WITH NO OTHER TO COMEPARE IT TO).. sORRY CAPS........

You can do your own armor pricing, its all based on $$ and what you think you may be in front of. It is defeated by 762.51 armor piercing rds WAY easily.

Do your youtube homework, there are guys that buy these things and shoot it with everything.

This one specifically I can answer ANY questions that I can.
    My little boy was hitting me with a bully club on the back plate and I actually couldn't even feel it. nit even a vibration.

BTW this is why we need a gear section.

BISHOP

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

We should all have a set of armor.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Maine Military (local mil surplus store) actually had ,on clearance, bullet proof vests. One fit my 6yr old and it was only $29.

I swear that when I bought the carrier that CTD didn't have the name of the maker listed BTW.

Just like back in the day, I will take pics of anything I have here in detail that you ask..

The more $$ you have to have to spend in this specific item the lighter it will be... Ceramic plates, a lighter carrier, ect....
    All I can say is that I watched and participated in shooting ceramic plates with SS109 at about 20 feet and they went right through with NO problem!

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 10-12-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Bishop, I just have to say, you rock.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    We should all have a set of armor.
    I agree. I have a set up like Bishop's. Mine is a Condor plate carrier with similar coated plates. It is cheap insurance.

You need one of these: http://www.skdtac.com/MSM-Patch-Do-I...-p/msm.130.htm

I have a Rhodesian recon rig, with an ar500 steel plate that I had lineXed (they come that way now) but I don't have any pictures of my setup.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

I'm currently running 3 single pouches in front, and a huge wide 3 deep on the left side. I'd like to swap that out for 2 monkey stompers, and a collapsible dump pouch, but I can't justify the cost.

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

This could be an interesting thread.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

"And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

HA, with that YOU are the plate carrier.

BISHOP

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    How much would you weigh if you had a suit like this made out of 1/2" AR500 steel?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

It is magnificent, no?

Yeah I've no clue how much a suit made of thick plate would weight, a codpiece alone would be like 30 pounds. However, back in Roman times, the Germans had guys who would get into a metal suit that was so heavy they couldn't get up off the ground.The romans just knocked them over and left them.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

I like this patch also.

I've seen one guy with one right where I have my flag. I thought it looked cool. I may do this and place my flag to the side and also get an IR reflective flag in reverse for my back..

BISHOP

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    It is magnificent, no?

Yeah I've no clue how much a suit made of thick plate would weight, a codpiece alone would be like 30 pounds. However, back in Roman times, the Germans had guys who would get into a metal suit that was so heavy they couldn't get up off the ground.The romans just knocked them over and left them.
    I have a chainmail suit I wear for the Renaissance Festival around here. The shirt weighs about 50 lbs., and the coif weighs about 10 lbs. That doesn't count for the other gear I wear with it. The helmet weighs about another 8-10 lbs. Solid armor would weigh considerably more. I find that after I wear it for a while, I'm about 1/2" shorter...
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Here's a couple pics of my rig. Need to put glowsticks back in, I had some but I'm not sure what I did with em.

Nice rig.

Love the AR.

Thanks FunkyPertwee.

I really need one of those "Front Towards Enemy" claymore patches, my rig doesn't have a back plate! Actually, I just ordered one, as well as "Fuck it, we'll do it live", and a 3 pack of ranger plates for those gen3 pmags in the middle. And made a lanyard/fob for the folding knife and flipped the clip so I can tuck it behind the admin pouch and not have excessive shinys.

Nice kit as the Brits would say.

I am still looking for a couple more patches and a couple pouches.

I want a rip off first aid kit. I see them for about $40 on ebay , complete not just an empty pouch, but I want to see what the local mil surplus store has a price first. They are usually a lot more than buying online WITH shipping. But I always check local first.
    I need to buy a new C.A.T and a molle holder for it.

I need to find a place for my EOD Robotics prybar knife.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 10-13-2014 at 05:38 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast