Thread: Camper/travel trailer

Camper/travel trailer

Greetings gents,

I'm loooking for a little advice on buying a used travel trailer. If you have one, what would look at before buying?
    Thanks.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Get one with as many slide outs as you can afford. If you don't need s large one to live in, then get a bumper pull trailer so you can carry stuff in a pick-up bed.
    Last edited by N/A; 10-12-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Make sure furnace, fridge, and stove all work.
    Test the flush.

BISHOP

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

My rig
    [IMG][/IMG]

What I pull it with
    [IMG][/IMG]

Set up. And yes that is a portable hot tub out front....
    [IMG][/IMG]

Frig is the most expensive appliance, run it a few days if you can.

A top tank leak in the holding tanks are not uncommon and are very expensive to fix, more so if you don't do the (HUGE AMOUNT) of work yourself. Fill the tanks to full and see if there is a dripp (or running out like hell!). Fresh water isn't too bad, but gray or black will make the whole trailer stick inside.

As far as what to buy, what is the price range?
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Thanks for the tips. Not wanting to spend a fortune, prbly 5-9k.

Roadhouse Groupee

This is pretty cool and in that price range

http://www.hankboughtabus.com/

Also check the corners to make sure there are no evidence of leaking.

Look closely at the skin on the outer surface. Look for missing screws, cracks, abrasions, or dents.
    Look underneath at the hitch assembly, in particular for rust or other damage that could indicate structural weakness.
    Look in the wheelwells for more of the same.
    CHECK THE BRAKES if it has brakes.
    Test ALL lighting and switches, LP gas devices (burners, oven, lights, water heater, etc.).

And good luck!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Are there any tell tale interior areas to look for evidence of previous leaks?
    I'm thinking about a 26-30 ft bumper pull.

Quote Originally Posted by rktman View Post
    Are there any tell tale interior areas to look for evidence of previous leaks?
    I'm thinking about a 26-30 ft bumper pull.
    AC units, vents, sky lights, plumbing vets, etc are all leak areas, but these are fixed with flex caulk. Seams in roofing are another area to inspect.

Larger and slides make life easier. 26 footers are for the hunting camp, not staying in while working or taking vacations with kids...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    AC units, vents, sky lights, plumbing vets, etc are all leak areas, but these are fixed with flex caulk. Seams in roofing are another area to inspect.

Larger and slides make life easier. 26 footers are for the hunting camp, not staying in while working or taking vacations with kids...
    I disagree!
    In the 60's, my parents took my brother and me to the NY World's Fair ('64), New Orleans that Christmas, six weeks (only the first 2 w/Dad) through the desert Southwest, Disneyland, Frisco, Yosemite, etc., in a 21 foot Holiday Rambler travel trailer. This had only a single axle, NO A/C, but could sleep 6 if the table was lowered across the seats (never did). The toilet, vanity, and shower were in the same "closet" and we had a small generator for 110 V circuits but could use 12 V lights and propane lights off of the 20 lb. bottles on the hitch.
    It was a bit crowded but not too bad for a family of four. It might be tight for 3-4 hunters, their insulated clothing, etc., but it is doable.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    I disagree!
    In the 60's, my parents took my brother and me to the NY World's Fair ('64), New Orleans that Christmas, six weeks (only the first 2 w/Dad) through the desert Southwest, Disneyland, Frisco, Yosemite, etc., in a 21 foot Holiday Rambler travel trailer. This had only a single axle, NO A/C, but could sleep 6 if the table was lowered across the seats (never did). The toilet, vanity, and shower were in the same "closet" and we had a small generator for 110 V circuits but could use 12 V lights and propane lights off of the 20 lb. bottles on the hitch.
    It was a bit crowded but not too bad for a family of four. It might be tight for 3-4 hunters, their insulated clothing, etc., but it is doable.
    Our neighbors just sold their new, once used, Casita Travel Trailer and bought a larger one. She thought it was cute, but he hated it. Each to his own, but for extended stays, 30 foot with slides would be my minimum...

And, you old fart, they didn't make many RVs longer than 30 foot in the 1960s. A 36 foot Boles or Airstream was considered HUGE back then... You didn't see RV parks full of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks back then. Most people pulled RVs with their family car that wasn't rated to pull anything big. The 1 ton trucks of the sixties were not today's Cowboy Cadillac...