Thread: New Lawsuit Aims to Overturn Post-86 Machine Gun Ban

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post New Lawsuit Aims to Overturn Post-86 Machine Gun Ban

After today, it's all historical.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Would be nice to regain one of our constitutional rights!

Unfortunately the way things are, not going to hold my breath. Can't imagine someone who paid $15,000 for a $600 M16 will be happy to see the 1986 ban go away.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post

Unfortunately the way things are, not going to hold my breath. Can't imagine someone who paid $15,000 for a $600 M16 will be happy to see the 1986 ban go away.
    Well yes, those that have "invested" in the rare transferrable commodity of full autos will take it in the shorts if the ban is overturned. But for the greater good I hope the ban gets dumped. I for one would convert every AR to full auto if the ban was killed off.

Ya'll do remember what was said about the "M-16" (by name) in the Heller decisions right?
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Nut nailed it. I'd love to see this pass though.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Everyone who buys a transferable knows the risk.

If they don't they obviosly have more money then brain cells, or they are just plain naive.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Ya'll do remember what was said about the "M-16" (by name) in the Heller decisions right?
    Oh yes, it was referenced as a modern day minuteman musket.

Some of you guys know I've got an M16 with several different uppers including a 9mm SMG and an Colt LMG ... and an HK/Fleming registered sear with several hosts and even though I'd lose some of the money I have invested in the Colt and nearly all on the sear I'd be in on such a deal (of course what I have is a mere pittance compared to some people).

The thing is, you never know what might come out of the closets if that were to happen ... it would be like having another amnesty ... I could see grandpa's M2's and grease guns getting registered, maybe some old MG42's ... who knows! It could be really really cool!

I might register a couple AR receivers, a couple SiG and HK trigger packs ... maybe even an AK sear or two that came out of parts kits, but it would most likely be a waste of money as manufacturers would be selling them too ... at first at inflated prices but like everything else, they would come down ... but ... the only reason I might register them as machine guns is so I could put short barrels on them.

To be honest, with the price of ammo I rarely shoot the ones I have, and the main reason I keep them is they keep going up in price ... average M16 is currently going for $25K and HK sear is $27K ... I paid about 1/3 that only 2 years ago.
    Last edited by kimberkid; 11-01-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I would. I paid 6K for my AR18, I'd be more than happy to eat that money paid to gain the ability to exercise our rights without restraint.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I would. I paid 6K for my AR18, I'd be more than happy to eat that money paid to gain the ability to exercise our rights without restraint.
    I would too ... my M16 and HK sear were considerably more ... but then I could get more cooler stuff at a more reasonable price!
    -----
    In re-reading this thread, I wonder ... if the 86 ban were to be overturned, that would take an act of Congress ... I wonder if they would also raise the cost of the NFA stamp?

The original intent of the $200 NFA fee was to discourage people from buying machine guns ... the fee hasn't been raised in 80 years!

Using an inflation calculator, $200.00 in 1937 had the same buying power as roughly $3,449 in 2017 annual inflation over this period was about 3.62% ... or 1700% if you don't want to do the long math.

If Congress updated the cost of "that" stamp, to even $1,700 (less than half of the inflation rate), although they would be much cheaper I doubt many people would be rushing out to convert or get new Machine Guns.

The time to get them is now! Even if the 1937 law were overturned you have had the pleasure of enjoying MG's longer than people without!
    Last edited by kimberkid; 12-22-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Since the Justice Roberts amending obamacare to make not having insurance a tax, not a penalty to make it legal, that would also make the tax installed by the 1934 NFA also legal and therefore harder to repeal. Granted in the case of the NFA, any mandatory tax on firearms can be considered an infringement on our 2nd amendment rights.