Thread: Had a Close Call Today

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Had a Close Call Today

Went to the range with my brother-in-law today and took my 1943 Walther P38. I loaded it up with some Federal, 115 gr, FMJ rounds and fired the gun for the first time. The shot went pretty well but then I noticed the slide looked like it was locked back. Next I noticed the rear site was out of position. I brought the pistol down where I could see it looked like the top had been blown off! I cleared the weapon, unloaded it and packed it up. My BIL found the top of the slide on the ground but we didn't see any other parts.

When I got home I took a better look at the pistol and there didn't appear to be any missing parts. The top that came off exposed the firing pin and loaded chamber indicator pins and springs. First thing I noticed was that all this stuff was full of cosmoline. I had cleaned the gun before taking it too the range, spent a few hours on it but I had not went into this area of the weapon. I took the upper slide assembly apart, compared the parts to an exploded view drawing of the P38 and found that no parts were missing. Also, no parts were damaged. Next, I spent another 3 hours cleaning all the cosmoline out of the firing pin housing. I put the pistol back together and function checked it and everything is working fine.

Next time I head to the range I am going to take it back and try it again. This time though, I will only load one round for the first shot just to make sure everything is working right.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Amazing what a little cosmo can do to a weapon. How many rounds did you fire before you were forced to stop?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'm glad you didn't get hurt, and that the parts seem undamaged.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Seriously, glad the gun and more importantly you are ok. Live and learn.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I hope it was fluke and good to hear you are uninjured. Wearing eye protection ... right?

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Amazing what a little cosmo can do to a weapon. How many rounds did you fire before you were forced to stop?
    Just 1.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I hope it was fluke and good to hear you are uninjured. Wearing eye protection ... right?
    Always. I have to wear glasses and my military issue ones, which are what I wear, are also safety glass.

As for the fluke, that is why I will only load one round when I take it out next time. After pulling the trigger the first time it will already be clear. I have 9mm snap caps and have run them through multiple times to make sure everything is feeding and operating correctly. The only thing I can't mimic is the pressure placed on the gun with an actual round.
    Last edited by ltorlo64; 10-14-2014 at 04:39 AM.

NRA Endowment Member

Forgot to state that the part of the slide that came off, that gave the slide a "blown up" look, was actually a dust cover to keep the firing pin and loaded chamber indicator mechanisms clean. The dust cover is designed to come off, just no without some prying and definitely not when firing the pistol!

NRA Endowment Member