Thread: Delrin QA/QD muzzle brake model

Delrin QA/QD muzzle brake model

I haven't given up on my silencer projects. It just takes a long time for me to do anything. I finished (almost) my model of the QA/QD muzzle brake that I turned out of delrin.

The shoulder is 60* with a two start ACME stub thread (lead 8 pitch 4). Currently the holes are both 1/2 inch but I'm planning on the first hole to actually be 5/8 inch.

I did this out of delrin first just to make sure I had the tools needed to get the job done. So now the next step is to do a set of check gauges for the threads.

And so the silencer projects move forward. . .
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Neat! Looks like you're using the taper to create a seal, is that correct? Also why a Brake vs. just a Flash Hider?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Neat! Looks like you're using the taper to create a seal, is that correct? Also why a Brake vs. just a Flash Hider?
    Yes, the taper works as a seal and a "pinch point" that help keeps the silencer form unscrewing. "Thunder Beast" uses this concept on their QA/QD devices.

The brake serves a dual purpose. There is also a port on the top that helps prevent muzzle rise. Do a google on Benny Hill's "Rolling Thunder" that he developed for 3 gun. (yep, I've taken inspiration from a few sources) Also, when the silencer is screwed on, the ports will work as the first two baffles as it becomes integral to the internals of the silencer - an idea inspired by AAC's designs.

I've put a lot of thought into this silencer design. There are a lot of great silencers on the market now, and I've taken aspects of several that I really like. I'm actually making two 30 cal silencers. One will be titanium with lots of baffles used mainly on 300 BLK. But, it will be strong enough for use on 308. The other will be all stainless with just 4 or 5 baffles used mainly on my FAL rifles. Both will attach the same way, and all my rifles will eventually have one of these brakes on them - even the 223 AR.

The reason for the different number of baffles is do to the ammo. Recent tests have shown that cramming in more baffles for use on supersonic ammo has very little impact on suppression - The human ear can tell very little difference between a can with 5 baffles vs 9 baffles when using supersonic ammo. BUT, that changes with sub-sonic ammo. Cramming in more baffles can make a very big difference on sub-sonic 300 BLK. So I'm taking a que on that note, and tailoring my two 30 cal cans to their intended purpose.

Now, if I can only get these darn things done. I'm also sitting on an approved Form 1 to do an integral build on a Rugar 96-44. Sometimes I wish there were 36 hours in a day.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Wow, I'm highly impressed with the information in your post. Aside from the two AAC cans I own I really haven't "Gotten Into Suppressors" so to speak. Meaning I haven't gone out and looked for all the information on them that is out there. I'd love to make my own but to do that I'd need a Lathe and the tooling to run it with. By the time I do that, I could buy every suppressor I could conceive of wanting / needing.

I am VERY curious to hear what you learn about suppressing a FAL.

I quit looking into it a few years ago, due to the issues guys were having.

Good luck man.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    I am VERY curious to hear what you learn about suppressing a FAL.

I quit looking into it a few years ago, due to the issues guys were having.

Good luck man.
    I would imagine the gas bleed off port makes it hard to do, that and the system for the FAL requires tuning to prevent over pressure cycling of the action that can damage the weapon. Suppressors create some back pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I would imagine the gas bleed off port makes it hard to do, that and the system for the FAL requires tuning to prevent over pressure cycling of the action that can damage the weapon.

The two most common problems seemed to be accuracy and reliability, of which one or both suffered. Some guys have had good luck though.

If I were rich, I would keep one FAL dedicated for hush puppy use all the time, and leave the other unsuppresed I guess.

"Suppressors create some back pressure."

Correct. Which is why HK does not reccomend surpressing their rifle caliber roller locked guns. Which sucks 'cuz I always wanted to suppress my HK93
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!