Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City of Houston demands pastors turn over sermons

Mayor, city attorney distance themselves from sermon subpoenas:

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/h...ad-5824816.php
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Got to love politicians back tracking on what they actually intended due to backlash. If OKC can permit a satanic mass. These pastors should be able to say whatever they want.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

It's no secret I'm not a fan of churches. Or religion in general. That's my right. As it is hers to bash the churches, and that right also extends to the church to express their view that homosexuality, according to their religious beliefs is morally wrong. We are all protected by the first amendment, and cannot be persecuted for expressing their faith, nor their views. this is an abuse of power and outright fucking disgusting.

Unless the congregation is leaving their Sunday service to play a game of fag tag on the city streets, she has no damn legal reason to do this.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

This is sad and shameful to our freedoms. I think whoever really runs shit is poking around trying to entice violence on different issues to see if they can start a war here, then blow the resistance away with those Predator drones up there. Or at least try. The mayor is going to o just be a fall guy if it doesn't work out. And retire on our dime.

Pastors to Lesbian Houston Mayor: Don’t Mess with Texas Preachers
    Read more at http://sonsoflibertymedia.com/2014/1...Q0V7k4qBqjK.99
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    This has got to be unenforceable as completely unconstitutional right?
    Nope.

These are public statements made by people who are involved in a lawsuit.

It's the mayor who was sued, the law allows a person being sued (limited but broad) rights of discovery to documents that may contribute to their defense.

If those churches were involved in anything related to that lawsuit, even if they aren't the ones doing the actual suing, then they may be fair game in discovery.

It's one of the downsides of suing someone, the other person gets to look into you as well, along with potentially your family, friends, business partners, associates, etc.

There is a good chance that the judge will rule those particular things to not be relevant (I can't offhand see how they would be), but the mayor, acting as a defendant in a lawsuit is well within her rights to ask.

Personally, I think it's shitty of her to do that, but it's not unconstitutional.

Obviously, as many articles pointed out, it's a scare tactic intended to try to get the plaintiffs to drop the suit. That's not uncommon either, but using it against a church is pretty shitty

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    Nope.

These are public statements made by people who are involved in a lawsuit.

It's the mayor who was sued, the law allows a person being sued (limited but broad) rights of discovery to documents that may contribute to their defense.

If those churches were involved in anything related to that lawsuit, even if they aren't the ones doing the actual suing, then they may be fair game in discovery.

It's one of the downsides of suing someone, the other person gets to look into you as well, along with potentially your family, friends, business partners, associates, etc.

There is a good chance that the judge will rule those particular things to not be relevant (I can't offhand see how they would be), but the mayor, acting as a defendant in a lawsuit is well within her rights to ask.

Personally, I think it's shitty of her to do that, but it's not unconstitutional.

Obviously, as many articles pointed out, it's a scare tactic intended to try to get the plaintiffs to drop the suit. That's not uncommon either, but using it against a church is pretty shitty
    It appears anyone who is opposed to the Mayor in this case has become fair game for her political games.
    The misuse of the Legal system should carry stiff penalties for those that do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rktman View Post
    It appears anyone who is opposed to the Mayor in this case has become fair game for her political games.
    The misuse of the Legal system should carry stiff penalties for those that do it.
    If they oppose her by suing her, then there is a reason for it. It's not like out of the blue she decided to force pastors to turn over sermons for "state pre-approval" or anything like that.

Those pastors may not be the ones personally suing her, but if they were involved in the events that led to the lawsuit then they may have information and documents germane to her defense.

She does have the right to defend herself from the lawsuit.

She does not (or at least should not) have the right to harass pastors or others who have the First Amendment right to oppose her moral views.

This is a very basic attack by those who want silence the moral views of others whether they be Christian, Jewish, Atheists, etc.

Not arguing with your statements on this topic any longer so this thread will not be derailed like so many others.

Quote Originally Posted by rktman View Post
    She does not (or at least should not) have the right to harass pastors or others who have the First Amendment right to oppose her moral views.

This is a very basic attack by those who want silence the moral views of others whether they be Christian, Jewish, Atheists, etc.

Not arguing with your statements on this topic any longer so this thread will not be derailed like so many others.
    In principal I totally agree with you, however because there is a lawsuit, and she is the defendant, she does (or more accurately *may*) have the right.

I think it was a real dickish move, not even a tactically smart move, and one that obviously backfired (which should have been predicted), but due to the particular circumstances it's not necessarily unconstitutional.

The pastors retain their first amendment right to say whatever, but so she can defend herself in a lawsuit, she does have some limited rights to include what they have said as potential evidence.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    According to the Fox News article, the pastors, preachers and such are not part of the law suit.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    According to the Fox News article, the pastors, preachers and such are not part of the law suit.
    Yes, I saw that. The problem is they have attached themselves to the issue by speaking on it, using the church to give out information and collect signatures.

In a lawsuit, it's not just the people who are suing that the defense can question or request evidence from, but also people attached in some relevant way to the people suing.

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Let's break that down. They have the right to preach against sin, whether it is daily lives lived or if a government sanctions it. They can preach to the congregation to resist the governments sanctioning of sin by the lawful means of voting, and what would be the most effective vote.

What they are not suppose to do is allow electioneering be sponsored by the church, such as providing petetions sponsored or approved by the church on church property.

In my opinion, sermons could not be forced to be produced. The only thing they could call for is evidence of outright electioneeing on church property.

ETA...besides that, she is a fat ass queer...
    Last edited by N/A; 10-16-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Let's break that down. They have the right to preach against sin, whether it is daily lives lived or if a government sanctions it. They can preach to the congregation to resist the governments sanctioning of sin by the lawful means of voting, and what would be the most effective vote.

What they are not suppose to do is allow electioneering be sponsored by the church, such as providing petetions sponsored or approved by the church on church property.

In my opinion, sermons could not be forced to be produced. The only thing they could call for is evidence of outright electioneeing on church property.
    The sermons were publicly made statements, but they might be evidence of electioneering, or evidence that in some way (and I really can't think of any) that may be helpful to her defense. Which *might* make them relevant.

Personally I think the "electioneering" thing is nonsense, blatantly unconstitutional. The only reason they at all get away with limiting the religion's right to do it is by punishing them by withholding tax free status.

If a religious figure wants to say in their place of worship "Don't eat chocolate, spin in circles 3 times a day, only brush your teeth from left to right, and don't vote for Pedro, vote for Rickman instead" the government shouldn't be allowed to say a damn thing about it.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

The sermons were publicly made statements, but they might be evidence of electioneering, or evidence that in some way (and I really can't think of any) that may be helpful to her defense. Which *might* make them relevant.

Personally I think the "electioneering" thing is nonsense, blatantly unconstitutional. The only reason they at all get away with limiting the religion's right to do it is by punishing them by withholding tax free status.

If a religious figure wants to say in their place of worship "Don't eat chocolate, spin in circles 3 times a day, only brush your teeth from left to right, and don't vote for Pedro, vote for Rickman instead" the government shouldn't be allowed to say a damn thing about it.
    Government didn't have a thing to say about it until Lyndon Johnson had to silence his critics and proposed and passed a law preventing churches from participating in, or taking a position, that could be construed as political. Well, unless that position was a liberal position.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Government didn't have a thing to say about it until Lyndon Johnson had to silence his critics and proposed and passed a law preventing churches from participating in, or taking a position, that could be construed as political. Well, unless that position was a liberal position.
    Is that when the tax thing started? I didn't know that.

I agree, it's bullshit.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Is that when the tax thing started? I didn't know that.

I agree, it's bullshit.
    Churches were not being taxed before, but Lyndon Johnson proposed an amendment to the tax law which pushed churches into the 501c3 status which allowed government to control what is and is not spoken in the churches.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

The word "sermons" has been removed from the subpoenas. Mayor said it was because it made the subpoenas " overly broad".
    Ministers refusing to cave in.

There's a fat ol cow somewhere in Houston that is overly broad also. ��

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12