Thread: What are the procedures to putting on and taking off PPE?

What are the procedures to putting on and taking off PPE?

I've got the Israeli gas masks (NBC) that went on surplus for 10 bucks each years ago. (I've also got N95 surgical masks but no shields) I also have the blue nitral gloves and the Tyvek suits with booties and hoods. I know the tyvek suits are not really PPE rated but it's what I have, and it's better than nothing.

I know that the seems need to be taped up but other than that I'm not real sure how to put this stuff on properly and the big thing is, taking it off without contamination. I just saw on the TV yesterday, something about double gloving.

Can anyone shed light on the proper way to do this should it be necessary?
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

I know in the military for any type of Chemical, Biological, Radiation, Nuclear (CBRN) environment the priority it to hold your breath (not inhale and hold your breath), close your eyes, and don the mask. Once the mask is on you clear it and put on the rest of your gear, starting with suit, then gloves and lastly boots. Before putting on the gloves you would decon your digits. Warm soapy water should work for most cases if its readily available. When you decon you take off the overboots and stand on them. Then your top, making sure to lay it on the ground with the contaminated side down. then your pants on the coat and finally the gloves. Roll everything out as you take it off. Check out your local surplus stores. Some of them may sell old MOPP suits as hunting clothes (the charcoal in the suits mask the human smell, I guess). Thats basically it, from what I can recall. We don't actually train on this very much.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Here, this should answer most of your questions, if you have more specific ones feel free to ask, we do this stuff all the time.

http://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-11-5.pdf