Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voter ID Law Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Studies show that as many as 11 percent of eligible voters do not have government-issued photo ID.
    None of which have ever shown either how they function in a society which demands id to do something as simple as purchasing a decongestant at the local drugstore, nor that they are even likely to vote if they could show id to buy a decongestant at the local drugstore.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    None of which have ever shown either how they function in a society which demands id to do something as simple as purchasing a decongestant at the local drugstore, nor that they are even likely to vote if they could show id to buy a decongestant at the local drugstore.
    Most elderly, I imagine, have relatives who can do the shopping for them. Students, in such rare situations, can just get one of their roommates to buy.

I mean, really. How often in the past 5 years have you had to show anyone your photo ID?

Other than getting pulled over by police a few times for speeding -- oh, and flying out to D.C. and Indianapolis those two times -- I can't think of a single instance I've ever had to whip it out.

But for other folks who don't smoke or drink or fly anywhere, why would they ever need to show their photo ID to anyone?
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Most elderly, I imagine, have relatives who can do the shopping for them. Students, in such rare situations, can just get one of their roommates to buy.

I mean, really. How often in the past 5 years have you had to show anyone your photo ID?

Other than getting pulled over by police a few times for speeding -- oh, and flying out to D.C. and Indianapolis those two times -- I can't think of a single instance I've ever had to whip it out.

But for other folks who don't smoke or drink or fly anywhere, why would they ever need to show their photo ID to anyone?
    Had to show mine last week...to buy a bottle of Seagrams Dark Honey Whiskey...at a local grocery store. I'm 56 years old, and look it. And the young dweeb at the counter who asked did so because he was required to, by his superiors, for liability reasons, even though he knew it was absurd.

I've had to show id on average once a month or more, for years...just as a daily occurrence...bank rep doesn't recognize me withdrawing money...id, buying some beer, store has a policy...id...it's endemic...hell, I was required to show id at a night club 3 years ago...as was everyone who entered...

And for those few...who don't have id...who genuinely want to participate in politics...is it so much to ask that they get id to do so? Do we not ask as much to be able to drive a car? Do we not ask as much to buy property? Do we not ask as much to show citizenship? Should we not ask as much to show legitimate right to vote?

And why, pray tell, do you wish to denigrate legitimate voters by diluting them with illegitimate votes...if, as you try to portray, you actually care about legitimate voting...
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 10-19-2014 at 07:43 AM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I think it depends on how often during those 5 years you have to apply for Medicaid, food stamps (or whatever it is called now), or any other social program. If we are not requiring ID for social programs we are a lot farther gone than I imagined.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12