Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to replace my kitchen knife. Question for the Chefs onboard

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Not quite like new but it takes out the bigger cut marks. i used 100 and 150 grit, they're not all that expensive, i only do it cause my wife worries that big nasty germs will hide in the deeper cuts, and she's a cheap ass, sorry i meant "frugal"

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

I have used Chicago...

cutlery knives for 50 years and have been happy with them. I get them on sale where ever so they don't cost too much. I have never bought any of the high end knives because of the cost. I have an old, prewar Germany, 12 inch chef knive that I picked up at an antique store for 3 bucks. The blade is tapered both ways and holds a super edge. I can't remember the name but they still make knives. A good sharpener is just as important as the knife. I have a 1 inch diameter ceramic sharpener that works super. I got it at Amazon.....chris3

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

just an update to the quest. Here is what i have come up with so far. I haven't been trying very hard and did not spend very much money.

From Top to bottom there is a Chinese Chef knife made of a weird alloy of metals that seems to be the hardest blade of the bunch. The next one is a 10" Victorinox Fibrox and last is a 10" Zwilling "Professional S" in B grade which I don't understand what is wrong with it. Seems fine to me.

The chinese one cost $20 From the asian grocery store the Victorinox cost $37 from the industrial kitchen place the ship orders their stuff from and the Zwilling cost $50 at Marshalls.

I didn't get an 8 inch like i wanted but after using the 10 inch blade i am more then happy with it and the smaller one would feel to small now.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Looks like you did ok. I've got a rather inexpensive Chinese knife like yours. I like it a like for smashing and mincing garlic. One nice thing about having such a wide blade is slicing/chopping. The technique I use is to place your left hand over the item you are cutting with your fingers curled under. Place the flat of the blade against the face of your knuckles and use them as a guide. As long as you don't lift the edge of the blade above your knuckles you can't cut yourself. You can actually cut quite fast and accurately this way. With it's wide blade the Chinese knife is great for this.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I think that you did good with your purchases!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I have a Japanese cleaver that is the hardest steel in the kitchen. Holds an edge forever...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12