Thread: Think I may have to get the book: Stalin: Volume I: Paradoxes of Power, 1878-1928 by Stephen Kotkin

Think I may have to get the book: Stalin: Volume I: Paradoxes of Power, 1878-1928 by Stephen Kotkin

Sounds both interesting and terrifying at the same time.

Interesting from the historical perspective, terrifying for the same reason, present time...

Here's a good analysis of the book from The Atlantic: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ngle_page=true

Anyone who can read between the lines can see the parallels and perils we face today.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

"I chose freedom"(first person view considering he was one of the true believers during the elimination of the farmers which lead to the famines and the terror and "The Forsaken" which is the best IMO on the the terror of Stalin, A little bit about the Americans that emigrated to Russia only to find what communism is all about. If only we weren't armed, LAGC and KADMOS could have their way.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Thanks Oswald, I'll pick that one up too. Funny that Hitler is described as one of the antichrists but Stalin is over looked. What's truly amazing that the US decided to partner with Stalin. Pure evil.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    What's truly amazing that the US decided to partner with Stalin. Pure evil.
    Partnering with one evil to fight another, leads only to more evil.

Our shame is that we have ever believed otherwise.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Mao was even worse
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Stalin, Mao responsible for close to 70 million deaths. Obama and his weak vacillation on sealing our boards and the blocking air travel from Ebola saturated West Africa ... just may out do them both.