Thread: Cheap reflex sight

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Cheap reflex sight

Yeah, I know the saying, buy cheap, buy twice (or more). But I bought a $40 reflex sight by Firefield. I'm not expecting much out of this thing really, just got sick of looking at irons all the time. Right out of the box and mounted on the flat top upper in front of my rear flip up iron, the dot sits right on top of my front post. With my rear sight flipped up, I can look clearly through the glass at my sight post and shoot as usual with the optic off, with the optic on the red dot is right on where I'd be aiming anyway. So it seems on point, but a range test will tell. If this thing doesn't hold zero or whatever I have a paintball gun it can sit on.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I can't knock inexpensive reflex sights as many do a really good job. I got a Sight Mark reflex that I put on my M-4gery and am amazed that it has held up so well, and I haven't been the nicest with that rifle. It was even used in CQ/SWAT training and was not treated as it should have been, but everything came out ok. A good quick acquisition sight is nice, and with a price under $40 I didn't expect it to hold up, but it has.

Might be just fine, but made in china and purchased at walmart doesn't give me a lot of faith in it. I'll hopefully get a good idea of how it performs by next week. If it proves decent I might keep it a while instead of getting the MSE.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You should of got a Vortex Sparc II or Strykefire II. Under 2 bills and all reports are they are durable, reliable and quality. I have the Strykefire II on my AR pistol build. Worked well, adjustments were repeatable for windage and elevation. Haven't owned it for years, only months but I don't expect it to take a dump.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You should of got a Vortex Sparc II or Strykefire II. Under 2 bills and all reports are they are durable, reliable and quality. I have the Strykefire II on my AR pistol build. Worked well, adjustments were repeatable for windage and elevation. Haven't owned it for years, only months but I don't expect it to take a dump.
    Actually, it looks like a new generation of electronic optics are coming out of China that have the SPARC beat.

The Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot and the Hi-lux micro-max have 5 years of battery life from a single regular cr-2032 and come with night vision settings for $170 for the primary arms.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...20Dot%20MD-ADS
    http://www.thebangswitch.com/first-look-hi-lux-micro-max-b-dot-rds/

Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 10-21-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I did the same thing put a cheap reflex , 99 bucks at Cabelas (CP tacticle i think) on my Remington 11-87 police shotgun, kind of surprised it's held zero through 30 rounds of slugs and 000 buck...sometimes cheap works, it's just a home defense gun so the sight may never have a real test.

For something you don't shoot often and has a single use I'd figure this would be kind of a non- issue. This here AR is my range toy and one of my shtf guns. It sends quite a bit of lead down range, so an optic that holds zero after firing several hundred rounds is kind of necessary (the recoil of an AR is not much, but on my previous AR it was enough to knock the Centerpoint red dot off quite a bit, and frequently), long battery life is a huge plus, decent accuracy is essential, and not having to be real particular about cheek weld is a plus. When I look through the sight and put the dot on target I can move my head around a little and the dot appears to stay on the target.