Thread: Why is it called shithook when it is spelled chinook?

Why is it called shithook when it is spelled chinook?

Just asking

As old as most of them are they've acquired a nicname denoting rickety rust buckets that don't really fly they just beat hell out of the air. They're actually pretty badass as aircraft go.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

It's a great bird. I was doing a helo cast out of one several years back and I notice a bucket strapped to the floor. Hydraulic fluid was steadily dripping into it from a hose overhead. I called the crew chief over and asked him if that was going to be an issue during our training. He smiles and says "Only if it stops." All the pilots I have talked to who fly those things love them. They are not the prettiest but man can they move.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    They've had that name since Nam at least. Just the GI way to assign a dirty name to anything. I'll tell you for sure, if you go to hook up a sling load to one of those beast and touch the cargo hook, it will knock the shit out of you from static electricity. That could be one way it got the name shithook.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

I remember reading that phrase in the book, the thirteenth valley.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    I'll tell you for sure, if you go to hook up a sling load to one of those beast and touch the cargo hook, it will knock the shit out of you from static electricity.
    Haha. You too. Nothing like flagging a Chinook down for a load. Pure adrenalin. I've heard the CH-54 will have you making snow angels if you don't use a static probe.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Haha. You too. Nothing like flagging a Chinook down for a load. Pure adrenalin. I've heard the CH-54 will have you making snow angels if you don't use a static probe.
    The first downed Slick I hooked up to one, I made the mistake of sitting on top of the rotor head. The damn ship was about 3 feet above my head and the hook just out of my reach. The pilot must have lowered the collective slightly as the damn thin came down and almost pinned me to the head. I bailed off like a MFer. Never did that again. Second time I was standing on the scissors levers when I hit the cargo hook bare handed. Geeze, MFer, that hurt. Never had the pleasure of doing a Crane. Bet that was an experience in itself.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR