Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 problems with the theory of evolution.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Indeed, it's not our existence as life-forms that is so hard to understand, it is our sentience (capacity for sensation and feeling) that is the real amazing freak accident of nature here.
    It is only a freak act of nature if your entering argument is that there is nothing more intelligent than us. It is quite easy to understand if you accept that there is a being who is more intelligent than we can fathom. Of course, the problem with a being more intelligent than we can fathom is that we then have to determine if we want to trust this being.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    It is only a freak act of nature if your entering argument is that there is nothing more intelligent than us. It is quite easy to understand if you accept that there is a being who is more intelligent than we can fathom. Of course, the problem with a being more intelligent than we can fathom is that we then have to determine if we want to trust this being.
    Oh, I can fathom the notion of alien life more intelligent than us somewhere in this vast universe quite well, thank you very much. But it's quite a leap from there to say that just because beings more intelligent than us may live somewhere else in this vast cosmos, that they are somehow responsible for our own sentience.

Evolution has a pretty good explanation of how the sensations of pleasure and pain came about, at least. The reason sex feels so good is because it has the unintentional consequence of helping propagate our species. The reason pain hurts so bad is that it tells us when something is wrong, something that may lead to us not being able to propagate the species.

The very reason so many of us are naturally afraid of heights. Those of our distant ancestors' generations that weren't afraid of heights, likely walked over that cliff edge and didn't live long enough to pass those fearless genes down. Same with why so many poisonous wild berries taste so disgusting to most of us. Only those of our ancestors with the "right" mutations that developed a distaste for them survived long enough to reproduce and pass those mutations on down the line.

But if you have a better theory as to how our sensations may have come about, I'm all ears.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Us trusting the Almighty is .... a ridiculous concept. Also irrelevant. We, compared to the creator-of-all-things, are less significant than a Gnat fart in a category 5 Hurricane. Zero impact in other words.

This thread is one of those threads where there is no way to prove to a non believer that the topic premise is true. For the record I consider myself; a Christian, but I believe Evolution is a FACT. I don't put limits on the Creator.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Some of you guys who are still in college should really consider taking an intro-level biology course for one of your science cores, if you haven't already fulfilled them all. It will truly blow your mind.
    You're so naive I just can't take you seriously.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    ...but I believe Evolution is a FACT.
    Which experiment proved this "fact"?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Us trusting the Almighty is .... a ridiculous concept. Also irrelevant. We, compared to the creator-of-all-things, are less significant than a Gnat fart in a category 5 Hurricane. Zero impact in other words.
    Thankfully the Almighty's capacity for love is as beyond human comprehension as his intelligence and power.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    You're so naive I just can't take you seriously.
    "Naive" is someone who has never studied biology and thinks they are somehow an expert on the subject.

Just sayin'...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

"Naive" is someone who has never studied biology and thinks they are somehow an expert on the subject.

Just sayin'...
    As is someone who has taken a semester or two, even a whole year, and thinks they are an expert. One, however realizes the extent of the knowledge and seeks to increase it, the other doesn't realize they don't know it all.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Oh, I can fathom the notion of alien life more intelligent than us somewhere in this vast universe quite well, thank you very much. But it's quite a leap from there to say that just because beings more intelligent than us may live somewhere else in this vast cosmos, that they are somehow responsible for our own sentience.
    You just can't, or won't, fathom that this more intelligent being could be the God that you refuse to acknowledge exists.

Evolution has a pretty good explanation of how the sensations of pleasure and pain came about, at least. The reason sex feels so good is because it has the unintentional consequence of helping propagate our species. The reason pain hurts so bad is that it tells us when something is wrong, something that may lead to us not being able to propagate the species.
    The reasons for our senses could not be because an all powerful creator wanted His creation to enjoy life, or that this same all powerful creator wanted to provide a way for His creation to be protected from danger. I think creation provides a pretty good, actually a much better and more likely explanation than chance, especially when we see how the whole body works together.

The very reason so many of us are naturally afraid of heights. Those of our distant ancestors' generations that weren't afraid of heights, likely walked over that cliff edge and didn't live long enough to pass those fearless genes down. Same with why so many poisonous wild berries taste so disgusting to most of us. Only those of our ancestors with the "right" mutations that developed a distaste for them survived long enough to reproduce and pass those mutations on down the line.
    Again, the reason we are afraid of heights could just be that the Creator put that fear into us as a protection. It could also be the reason why poison is distasteful. In fact, it makes more sense than chance mutations being passed from one generation to the next when you take a look at how often beneficial mutations are passed from one generation to the next.

But if you have a better theory as to how our sensations may have come about, I'm all ears.
    This is the funniest thing I have read today. You have more faith in evolution, something that cannot be proven, than most religious people have. You have so much faith that when evidence is provided that other evolutionists have serious questions with evolution, or at least with the current timeline, you attack the messenger instead of looking at the source of the message. I have provided you with a better theory, as has Funky, but you refuse to look at the issue critically. That is unfortunate.
    Last edited by ltorlo64; 10-25-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: fixed spelling error

NRA Endowment Member

I would say that us trusting in, or not trusting in, the Almighty is very relevant. If it is not, then Christ died and rose again for nothing. This idea that Christ died and rose again also says that we are significant. God would not die for something insignificant, it would take something of great significance for this to even be considered.

This thread is one of those threads where there is no way to prove to a non believer that the topic premise is true. For the record I consider myself; a Christian, but I believe Evolution is a FACT. I don't put limits on the Creator.
    I agree with you on this. There is no way to prove the existence of the Almighty, the Creator, except by observation and critical thinking. There is also no way to prove evolution and the non-existence of god, except by observation and critical thinking.

Believing evolution to be a fact, I believe, puts limits on the Creator. This is because we cannot fathom how the Creator could make such a complex organism as a human, much less all the rest of the earth and the interworking systems, in 6 days so we come up with a way that we can understand. This seems to be limiting the Creator, trying to put the unfathomable into a box we can fathom. I don't understand how the Creator did this in 6 days, but He says He did and since He has been trustworthy and truthful in every other dealing with me I have to trust Him in this. The more I learn about the world the more it is re-enforced that something as complex as even a single cell could not happen by chance. When we add life, conscious, thinking organisms to the mix there is no other explanation that answers all the questions except creation by an all powerful Creator.
    Last edited by ltorlo64; 10-25-2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling error

NRA Endowment Member

Just sayin'...
    Naive is not realizing that you have less experience in a Bio lab than myself, and suggesting that I take a beginners course.

Just sayin'...

was_peacemaker
    Actually, evolution is the process, while natural selection is the mechanism of change and adaptation -- speciation over time.

Some of you guys who are still in college should really consider taking an intro-level biology course for one of your science cores, if you haven't already fulfilled them all. It will truly blow your mind.

This one is actually pretty easy to explain. Every living thing on this planet is primarily made of of only a handful of essential organic elements: carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, and phosphorus. Every cell in our body, even the nucleic acids that make up our genetic code.

The real conundrum is how all these inanimate elements ever gave rise to neural networks, electrical flow throughout our brains and nervous systems, that allowed for consciousness to ever arise.

Indeed, it's not our existence as life-forms that is so hard to understand, it is our sentience (capacity for sensation and feeling) that is the real amazing freak accident of nature here.
    So is that one place where chemistry and biology have pushed the limits and Quantum theory can pick it up? With the discovery of the Higgins Bosom we now know what gives those things you mentioned properties such as mass, wieght, and structure. So all those things are limited by the Higgns to a time-space continuum, so biology is only limited to that realm. Were even simple mathematics is not.

So what gives us awareness, maybe seen from another unseen force or as folks in M theory would suggest, super string. So if Quantum mechanics can pick up were the time-space limitations of biology leave off then it could suggest not only our awareness but how we are connected with unseen worlds.

was_peacemaker
    I would say that us trusting in, or not trusting in, the Almighty is very relevant. If it is not, then Christ died and rose again for nothing. This idea that Christ died and rose again also says that we are significant. God would not die for something insignificant, it would take something of great significance for this to even be considered.
    I agree with this. God has a very special connection with us. A glimpse through the Psalms and the Book of Proverbs highlights this.

was_peacemaker

Just sayin'...
    I don't think anyone here is coming across as an expert on it who hasn't studied it. I will admit I do not know alot about it but understood the explanations in the link I provided.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Which experiment proved this "fact"?
    What experiment disproved the fact?

What experiment disproved the fact?
    The real question is what experiment(s) has proven this to be a fact?

NRA Endowment Member

The real question is what experiment(s) has proven this to be a fact?
    God knows.

God knows.
    Good answer.

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    A couple of thoughts. We aren't born afraid of heights. Watch any little kid, untill he learns by experience or example, they aren't afraid of heights.

The six time periods cited in the scriptures as "day"
    Were not the 24 hour days we have now. Those periods could have been a year long, or ten million years long. Time is nothing to God, but "day" was the only way the translators of the Bible knew how to label those periods. Consider, that time means nothing to God, for all we know he might still be in the "7th day" of rest.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Tornado in a junk yard. That's how I feel about the state sponsored religion of evolution.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast