Thread: Tula 500 Rnd. Sealed Tin of 5.56?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Tula 500 Rnd. Sealed Tin of 5.56?

One of the local WallyWorld's has a few sealed tins of Tula 5.56 ammo (500 rnd.) for $119.00.

Haven't heard much about Tula's 5.56 ammo. Is this a decent deal? How clean is it?

I'm thinking about getting a tin but figured I'd check here first.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Its similar to Wolf except dirtier and less consistent.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I made the mistake of buying a full case (1000 rds) of Tula polymer coated .223 and not only does it not function well in my M4gery, or future son-in-law's M4gery, it also sticks in my SAR-3, and my 84S-1. Some rounds that do eject can be caught with your bare hands, they are cold. Some rounds are not even powerful enough to eject, sticking nicely in the breech.

I have over a half a case left. Made it that far by taking a 20 inch cleaning rod to the range with me and seeing how many rounds my SAR-3 will fire before one sticks in the breech. And up until this ammo, my SAR-3 has been the model of what an AK should be, 100% reliable through over 8000 rounds.

Mine is from about 3 years ago, so I don't know if the newer stuff is better, but I personally will never buy another round of Tula .223.

Guns Network Contributor 03/2015 jakebrake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Its similar to Wolf except dirtier and less consistent.

kind of nitpicking...don't you think?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The worst of the Russian export ammo IMO. Silver Bear, Barnual = Best.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Okay, glad I came here first. I don't think I'll chance it with Tula. I'll keep looking for better quality ammo. No need to screw up something that's working well.

Thanks for the feedback. It saved me a lot of headaches.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Okay, glad I came here first. I don't think I'll chance it with Tula. I'll keep looking for better quality ammo. No need to screw up something that's working well.

Check this stuff out when it gets back in stock: http://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf-p...55-grain-fmj-b

I haven't shot any, but it has a good reputation. Made in Taiwan I believe. Should be great plinking and SHTF ammo. (I would probably get a couple boxes of more premium ammo for home defense during rule of law).
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Damn, I should have read this before I just bought 3 tins. Oh well live and learn. Next time that I go to the range I'll open up a tin and see how it functions. I did a quick internet search and this was the cheapest I have found .223 in a long time. I didn't get it for home defense or anything like that. But. I did get it for range time. So, reading the above. I will make sure that I have a cleaning rod next time that I go shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Damn, I should have read this before I just bought 3 tins. Oh well live and learn. Next time that I go to the range I'll open up a tin and see how it functions. I did a quick internet search and this was the cheapest I have found .223 in a long time. I didn't get it for home defense or anything like that. But. I did get it for range time. So, reading the above. I will make sure that I have a cleaning rod next time that I go shooting!
    BE optimistic, you might actually have gotten a batch that really has a full charge powder in the cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    BE optimistic, you might actually have gotten a batch that really has a full charge powder in the cases.
    That's the only thing that I can hope for!

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I've had OK results out of it with my various rifles.

If you check the current ammo deals thread I posted a link to classic arms who had the wolf gold for $280/1000

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post

I see FunkyP has suggested Wolf Gold from one source. Should they be sold out, try this one. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as....223+55grn+FMJ Mil Arms Channel has given it a pretty good rating for accuracy and power.