Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So who is not voting and why?

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Amen guys. So long as the ballot box is still an option, it is our civic duty to utilize it, and try to effect political change through non-violent means.

As has been pointed out, many good men have given their lives, dying in violent death, so that the rest of us could enjoy the peace. It's a shame that only about 50% of eligible voters reliably ever show up to the polls, but I can understand the apathy when people think that no matter who is in charge, nothing will ever really change.

As for convicted felons, in most states they can regain their right to vote upon completion of their entire sentence (including probation or parole):

https://www.aclu.org/maps/map-state-...chisement-laws

In fact, in Maine and Vermont even current prisoners can vote -- which isn't that outlandish of an idea, really, since they have just as much of a stake in our laws as the rest of us, considering those laws put them in prison in the first place.
    I think felons should have all rights restored when their sentences are finished. Being let out of prison implies that the "debt to society" is paid in full. If so, then why is the ex-con still punished?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I think felons should have all rights restored when their sentences are finished. Being let out of prison implies that the "debt to society" is paid in full. If so, then why is the ex-con still punished?
    Most don't serve their full sentence and are out on parole or probation. So generally the debt is not fully paid. Obviously this works to the states advantage as it gives an excuse to keep a closer eye on them.

To the topic, nope not voting in this one. It's a registration issue. I'm technically registered at my old house, which I still own (until she refinances it), but now am a district over. I could have, should have updated it, but didn't. I'm up at city hall next week so I'll deal with it then.

Frankly everyone on the ballot here, both sides, are total shitheels, unworthy of cleaning toilets at a public truck-stop much less holding office. But there were a couple of Constitutional amendments I had sorta wanted to vote against.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12