Thread: Makarov magazine question

Makarov magazine question

My dad picked up an old Russian pistol years ago in a trade. It looks like its in really good shape from the few times I have handled it. The finish is real nice on it and it seems to function smoothly. However, he has never shot it because he doesn't have any magazines for it. He likes the firearm, but it's more of a curiosity to him. I was going to pick up a few for him for Christmas but don't know how interchangable the mags are. Can I just get any Makarov mag and expect it to work? Is there a certain maker that I should avoid?
    Also, is there a good blow up or manual that any of you guys have to help me break it down to ensure that everything is good to go? I would hate to have it break the first time we took it to the range. Any help you guys can provide, as always, will be appreciated.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The original Mak pistol is a single stack magazine. There were import Makarov pistols from Russia that took a double wide mag. Aside from those differences I think a Makarov single stack / single wide magazine should fit from any country. When I was a dealer I sold a lot of Mak pistols, most were Bulgarian. Took one apart once, can't remember exactly how I did it. I think there was something about the trigger guard involved.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    The original Mak pistol is a single stack magazine. There were import Makarov pistols from Russia that took a double wide mag. Aside from those differences I think a Makarov single stack / single wide magazine should fit from any country. When I was a dealer I sold a lot of Mak pistols, most were Bulgarian. Took one apart once, can't remember exactly how I did it. I think there was something about the trigger guard involved.
    Single stack mags are also supposed to work in the double stack gun

To the OP, Just get military surplus mags, they'll be around $20, and any country should be fine. Numrich has them for sure.

To take it apart you have to drop the mag, take the safety off, pull down the trigger guard and push it slightly to the right or left, then pull back the slide all the way and lift the rear of it off the frame, then ease it forward off of the barrel.

If the gun has adjustable sights it is a commercial pistol and worth somewhere around $200-$250, if it has fixed sights it is a military gun and worth considerably more than that.

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to shooting it with my dad when I get home for Christmas.