Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springfield XD New Design?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Never have been a fan of fiber optics. They are cool when you're sighting in but they give the gun a tacky low-rent look on an SD pistol. Great on .22 target pistol, not so much on a serious weapon.
    No problems with the one on my XDs. Replaced the rod with a green one, so even in low light it still looks as good as standard three-dots.

I think Springfield is just done looking police or military and are going full-retard in the "make it look like a modern consumer product" department.

I'm surprised they don't just spell out "X-treme Duty" on every gun instead on calling it an XD. Every gun should come with a bag of Doritos and a Mountain Dew.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    No problems with the one on my XDs. Replaced the rod with a green one, so even in low light it still looks as good as standard three-dots.

I think Springfield is just done looking police or military and are going full-retard in the "make it look like a modern consumer product" department.

I'm surprised they don't just spell out "X-treme Duty" on every gun instead on calling it an XD. Every gun should come with a bag of Doritos and a Mountain Dew.

Yeah FOs are nice when you're shooting, I have some on a Buckmark and tried them on my G20. Just don't like the looks of them on an SD gun. They just give it a "toyish" look like a BB gun or a dart gun would have.

They do seem to be angling for the "unconventional" or perhaps the youth market look.

I'm surprised they don't offer a model with a zombie green grip or at least lettering.
    Last edited by weevil; 11-13-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

I'm much more impressed with the SIG P320.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

So I wonder if there going to do a whole line for there existing models with these improvements?
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

I have had "stick on inserts" on my XD for a long long time (years) and they are still holding strong... Got rid of that slick surface...

Here is a pic of what Im talking about on my XD Compact 45... Got it years ago from a friend...

J

I'll agree it looks pretty gaudy, looks wise I'll take the originals. Agreed they are slick, I had a Hogue slip-on no mine, and one of the reasons I got rid of it. This does look like a better grip, but the cheesy "Grip Zone" silliness needs to go.

Never have been a fan of fiber optics. They are cool when you're sighting in but they give the gun a tacky low-rent look on an SD pistol. Great on .22 target pistol, not so much on a serious weapon.

Sig P320 Cost what? I love my $400 XD... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post

Steve
    Last edited by jtrade; 11-13-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrade View Post
    I have had "stick on inserts" on my XD for a long long time (years) and they are still holding strong... Got rid of that slick surface...

Here is a pic of what Im talking about on my XD Compact 45... Got it years ago from a friend...
    The slip on actually had a real nice texture but it gave it a thicker feeling I didn't like.

I've tried the stick ons on other pistols and maybe I was just using the wrong brands but they always seemed to move around and leave gooey spots.

If they kept the "feel" of the XD grip but improved the texture that would definitely be an improvement, especially over aftermarket add-ons like slip-ons and decals.

I've shot the crap outta my XD and those stick on grips have not moved a mm... I did degrease the crap outta the grips where I stuck them to tho...

J

The slip on actually had a real nice texture but it gave it a thicker feeling I didn't like.

I've tried the stick ons on other pistols and maybe I was just using the wrong brands but they always seemed to move around and leave gooey spots.

If they kept the "feel" of the XD grip but improved the texture that would definitely be an improvement, especially over aftermarket add-ons like slip-ons and decals.

I never actually tried them on the XD it was a G27.

That pistol had a nasty twisty-torquey recoil to it which may have contributed to them working loose. I fired a lot of rounds through it too, one of the LGS was selling boxes of cop reject ammo at the time. Nice Speer HPs fairly hot 250 rounds bulk in boxes for around $50. I ran quite a few boxes through it. Even so never did get used to that nasty recoil.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

FWIW:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/11/13...eld-xd-mod-2/#

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ld-xd-9-mod-2/

Do I like the 'Grip Zone' on the side? No, of course not. But I'd still try one out for CCW for the sake of comparison to my other possibles.
    Want to try and win one? http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...od-2-giveaway/
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    FWIW:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/11/13...eld-xd-mod-2/#

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ld-xd-9-mod-2/

Do I like the 'Grip Zone' on the side? No, of course not. But I'd still try one out for CCW for the sake of comparison to my other possibles.
    Want to try and win one? http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...od-2-giveaway/
    I hope they bring these upgrades to every variant of the original XD line.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Hickok just did a video on the new XD mod 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post

Steve
    Same here. I want to try one.

The new XD looks like the same old chunk of 2x4 now with finger grooves.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I hope they bring these upgrades to every variant of the original XD line.
    You would think they would.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12