Thread: SHTF? What is better to have more of?

SHTF? What is better to have more of?

Pistol or rifle ammo? While shopping at the local stores (wall mart) over the years I have put a few boxes of this and that in the cart. My wife always asked me don't you have enough of that? Well, a while back me and my son did a little ammo organizing and inventory. Turns out that most of my ammo is in a pistol caliber. 9mm, .45, and .40. (Though I only have one pistol in .40.) I have plenty of rifle ammo as well.

Well, the question is. What should you have more of? Rifle or Pistol ammo? There is a reason that I have a good bunch of 9mm. Though I don't shoot them that much anymore.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No way to tell, it is merely opinion.

My own goals are these; 5,000 rounds for each long gun if it is semi-auto. 2,000 rounds for each bolt gun. 1000 to 2,000 rounds for a handgun, so if you have 4 handguns 4 to 8k in ammo. So my opinion is to have more long gun ammo vs. handgun ammo.

IF .22 LR ammo ever again becomes widely available again I am getting a case of CCI Mini Mags and a case of CCI subsonics.

Both. I doubt anyone is going to do all of that much shooting. How many fire fights do you think you can come out on top of before someone else gets lucky? Ammo however will be better than money. You never know when 10-20 rounds might get you a meal, safe passage, or a couple gallons of gas.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Hard to say. In a real SHTF scenario I'm of the opinion that firearms are going to be worth their weight in gold to those that don't have one. I'd rather have five SKS with 2,500rds of ammo than one SKS and 2,500rds of ammo. There are all sorts of situations that I can see the value of having armed compatriots over just you and a bunch of ammo. That being said I figure that since they are easier to conceal a handgun and therefore handgun ammo will be more in demand than rifle calibers.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Soap and toilet paper.

Great trade fodder that can't be used to kill you.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Soap and toilet paper.

There is a great truth voiced right here.

from what I understand in prison candy is as good as cash.

Guns Network Contributor 03/2015 jakebrake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    from what I understand in prison candy is as good as cash.
    smokes. smokes are like money.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Soap and toilet paper.

Don't forget tampons and kotex.

I would think you would want more rifle ammo than handgun ammo. In the event that you had an armed confrontation, you would/should be using your rifle. Handgun is for backup.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I would think you would want more rifle ammo than handgun ammo. In the event that you had an armed confrontation, you would/should be using your rifle. Handgun is for backup.
    That is my thinking also!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

I'd be doing most of my fighting within the confines of my suburban residence, so I could get by OK with pistol ammo. Rural folks might see things differently though. In all honesty though, if shit gets real, I have 4 rifles chambered in 5.45x39 with 85 mags and 25K rounds of ammo. I'm cool either way.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    I'd be doing most of my fighting within the confines of my suburban residence....
    That sucks.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I would go with rifle ammo and work hard to keep the zombies at bay and not need to get in a close range pistol shootout

I'm with schuetz...lots of both

This really depends on what's happening. I lean towards rifle, for the range and more power than a pistol. I've been also thinking of SBR guns or AK/AR pistols with the brace for a bit of both range, and conceal ability. It also depends if you have silencers or not. Someone may take more to a rifle but happen to own a suppressed pistol. That suppressor is God on the field. Only thing better in the no noise category are melee or bow and arrow weapons. Have both, ammo for both, and if you can suppress them. If SHTF I'd like the least amount of advertising that someone got shot.

I can absolutely wreck shit with a Sub2000 with 33-round Glock mags. Not that it's better than a rifle by any stretch, but I can get my point across with 9mm at fairly close ranges just fine.