Thread: ATF may be reversing stance on Sig brace soon

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

ATF may be reversing stance on Sig brace soon

A company making short barreled shotguns without the stock (not sure what these are called) was going to put a sig brace on them, but the ATF decided that would make it an SBS if the Sig brace was used as a stock and subject to NFA rules.
    http://www.shootingsportsretailer.co...the-sig-brace/
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Ummm, a shotgun with a short barrel is still NFA regardless whats on the end, even if it's a "weapon over 26" it still wont fly with them.

Typical fear mongering from a site whos not very informed just trying to generate traffic.

I'm sorry but please dont pass garbage like this along.
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 11-19-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Don't worry guys, they've spoken with an actual "worried shooter on an internet forum".

“The BATFE is in the process of reversing its position on shouldering arm braces due to a change in leadership. It might not be this moment, but it’ll be soon,” a worried shooter said on an Internet forum post about the ATF letter. “Investing a ton of money in weapons that are only usable with ‘arm braces’ may not be a wise plan for the future.”
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

peacemaker???
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Regardless of how decent the site is, the main point lies in the ATF letter. The NFA classification would go from AOW to SBS.
    However, should an individual utilize the SigTac SB15 pistol stabilizing brace on the submitted sample as a shoulder stock to fire the weapon from the shoulder, this firearm would then be classified as a "short barreled shotgun" as defined in the NFA, 26 U.S.C. 5845 (a) (1) because the subject brace has then been made or remade, designed or redesigned from its originally intended purpose.
    ETA: The significance of this is that the ATF is now stating that they are determining a guns classification in regards to the Sig Brace by how an individual uses the brace. Right now they are just redefining this AOW as an SBS due to how the Sig Brace will inevitably be used by some. It's not a big leap of the imagination to conclude they will soon start determining AR pistols with this brace as SBR's.
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 11-19-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    What I would really like to read is that a member of that fabled "top 1 precent" deciding to use some of that money that they would not be able to spend in five lifetimes and take on ATF and get them to admit, and then agree that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" does not have any restrictions on barrel or overall length among other things.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

So ATF is going to allow a brace if you strap it to your forearm but will make you a felon if you stick it up on your shoulder. Riiiiiiiiiight! I guess this will be a new class of crime called "Positional Felonies". They are seriously going to piss off a very LARGE group of people that have invested in the Sig Braces. We all have our BATFE letters that come with each Sig Brace purchased. They may have to eat a batch of tax stamps like they did for the Street Sweepers and Stryker Shotguns. Everyone that had one could at the time come forward and get a free NFA tax stamp. I believe they made those DD's.

^I'm sure we'll see a few low profile court cases about this at some point. And yes, they made those guns DD's, they are no longer importable, nor are USAS's, SPAS's, and many other "non sporting" shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    What I would really like to read is that a member of that fabled "top 1 precent" deciding to use some of that money that they would not be able to spend in five lifetimes and take on ATF and get them to admit, and then agree that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" does not have any restrictions on barrel or overall length among other things.
    You're going to be waiting a very long time then...

It's not a big leap of the imagination to conclude they will soon start determining AR pistols with this brace as SBR's.

no, they key thing is You can't count the brace towards Overall Length on a shotgun with a barrel less than 18" . It's something they need to clarify VS making internet hype .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    no, they key thing is You can't count the brace towards Overall Length on a shotgun with a barrel less than 18" . It's something they need to clarify VS making internet hype .
    Yep.

I'm really disappointed in a few online sources and internet personalities for hyping this up so much. Makes them look no better than than Fox news or MSNBC.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"