Thread: Help me choose a barrel length on next SBR

Help me choose a barrel length on next SBR

Another 300blk. I'm going with either 8" or 7.5 on my next SBR and thought I'd ask you folks. Here's a pic with a delrin model of my QA/QD muzzle device. The barrel in the picture is 8".

Side view

Top view

What I'm thinking is if I go to 7.5 inches that should just tuck the shoulder of the muzzle device under the handguard and allow for clearance of the top port. I have plenty of clearance for the silencer to fit under the handguard so that's not an issue. What do ya'll think; go with 8 inches, or 7.5?
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

If you don't have to worry about can clearance, I'd go with the 7.5.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

7.5 if your planning on concealing it at any time for any reason, who knows when that half inch less will allow you to tuck it away just a hair easier. Otherwise I'd just leave it at 8.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I always like the concept of having a pair of identical weapons, (though I have seldom achieved it). The only truly identical weapon system I have are Glock 19 pistols and in that case we have 3 of them. So I'd say build an exact duplicate of your current SBR in .300 blackout.

BTW have you Chronographed your 8" BO rifle? What speeds with what bullet weights?
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-19-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I always like the concept of having a pair of identical weapons, (though I have seldom achieved it). The only truly identical weapon system I have are Glock 19 pistols and in that case we have 3 of them. So I'd say build an exact duplicate of your current SBR in .300 blackout.

BTW have you Chronographed your 8" BO rifle? What speeds with what bullet weights?
    So, you're saying I need to go 7.5 with both then? OK.

No I haven't done any chrono work on it. My 247gr cast were pushing around 1010 (IIRC) out of a 10 inch barrel.
    Last edited by L1A1Rocker; 11-19-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    So, you're saying I need to go 7.5 with both then? OK.

No I haven't done any chrono work on it. My 247gr cast were pushing around 1010 (IIRC) out of a 10 inch barrel.
    Personally if it was me I'd stick with 10" to get more speed out of the round. Plus I think 10 to 11 makes a more balanced looking weapon. Reference my pistol build with a 10.5" barrel with a Sampson Evolution II rail FF handguard.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Delrin is a great material for valve components, but I've never heard of a delrin muzzle break before.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Delrin is a great material for valve components, but I've never heard of a delrin muzzle break before.
    Here's a pic with a delrin model
    I have not turned out that actual muzzel device yet. I just recently received the cutting tool to cut the 5/8" ports. I think the model is now as complete as it's going to get. Also, the top port is WAY too big. I also have recently received the cutter holder to put a 1/8 in hole there. There will also be a 1/16 in hole in the right of the final brake to offset the muzzle's tendency to move right under recoil.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Check your suppressor warranty. AAC will warranty a can on a 300 BLK down to 7.5". YHM will warranty 300 BLK down to 8". Varies for other manufacturers. I wouldn't give up warranty coverage for .5" in barrel length.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    Check your suppressor warranty. AAC will warranty a can on a 300 BLK down to 7.5". YHM will warranty 300 BLK down to 8". Varies for other manufacturers. I wouldn't give up warranty coverage for .5" in barrel length.
    Good advice, but my silencers are all home built on Form 1s.