Thread: tomahawk. why??

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

tomahawk. why??

so i recently got this fucking kick ass awesome estwing (BEST hammers ever) small (single handed) double bit axe. made in usa, by americans. one piece forged, no welds.

estwing-hatchet-black-eagle-double-bit-axe-blue-grip-e6-dba-large.jpg

i can use this outdoors. it has a tangible value to me. \

i also noticed that they have a similar tomahawk. amof, i have seen a lot of tomahawks around lately. i dont know why. to me, i think tin foil hatter fucking zombie believing fuktards buy them thinking they will be using them for self defense and they look meaner. thats what i think. a hatchet with a back that can be used as a hammer, or even this double bit axe i will use. i can see no practical use for a tomahawk.

i did notice on the estwing tomahawk tag it mentioned "trenching". idk how or why or what you would have to do to rench with one, or why i would want to.

so, my question is, does the tomahawk actually have any use in an outdoor/wilderness/camping/survival role that i am missing?? do i really need one and just not know it?? or are my current musings correct and they are just toys for the mall ninja?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The "tactical" variety has caught on as it became a fad with SWAT.

I'd rather have an old-school pipe hawk. The pipe tomahawk is quintessential Americana.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

then theres this..
    http://www.dsarms.com/p-14068-ds-arm...ead-cover.aspx

build an Ar and a trip to the ER.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    so i recently got this fucking kick ass awesome estwing (BEST hammers ever) small (single handed) double bit axe. made in usa, by americans. one piece forged, no welds.

estwing-hatchet-black-eagle-double-bit-axe-blue-grip-e6-dba-large.jpg

i can use this outdoors. it has a tangible value to me. \

i also noticed that they have a similar tomahawk. amof, i have seen a lot of tomahawks around lately. i dont know why. to me, i think tin foil hatter fucking zombie believing fuktards buy them thinking they will be using them for self defense and they look meaner. thats what i think. a hatchet with a back that can be used as a hammer, or even this double bit axe i will use. i can see no practical use for a tomahawk.

i did notice on the estwing tomahawk tag it mentioned "trenching". idk how or why or what you would have to do to rench with one, or why i would want to.

so, my question is, does the tomahawk actually have any use in an outdoor/wilderness/camping/survival role that i am missing?? do i really need one and just not know it?? or are my current musings correct and they are just toys for the mall ninja?
    I don't know what I would use one for, but the American Indian thought it was a pretty necessary tool.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

so, my question is, does the tomahawk actually have any use in an outdoor/wilderness/camping/survival role that i am missing?? do
    IMO yes a Tomahawk can be a camping and survival tool. I have one that has a hammer head on the back, I can also throw it, though in a real world defensive use I would not throw it.

I've made tent stakes with mine when I screwed up and left the can of tent stakes behind on one camping trip. Split and shaved kindling with it. Used it to split the pelvic bone on a deer when field dressing it.

Given a Zombie Apocalypse I would indeed carry one of my Thawks.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-20-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Just handy like a small axe. And some people are good at throwing them. Other people want to be good at throwing them because they want to be super cool like they are in Call Of Duty Black Ops.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcRu7wggVt0
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I have one that has a hammer head on the back,
    yes, this is my whole point. a hammer on the back= basically, same as a hatchet. the 'hawks i see everywhere have a spike on the back. and since no one has come forth in support of the usefullness of said spike so far, im going to assume im correct in that it has no useful purpose other than to look more "tactical"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

yes, this is my whole point. a hammer on the back= basically, same as a hatchet. the 'hawks i see everywhere have a spike on the back. and since no one has come forth in support of the usefullness of said spike so far, im going to assume im correct in that it has no useful purpose other than to look more "tactical"
    Its not to be tactical, its to remain true to the American tomahawk. The first steel bladed tomahawks were made from european ship boarding axes, so the european purpose for the spike would have been armor penetration. Pre-contact natives couldn't produce iron, so the natives took whatever steel tools they could get their hands on.

The more famous hawks had pipe bowls on the back, as a symbol of the native's choice to make either war or piece with traveling pioneers.

As to the difference between a hawk and a hatchet, a tomahawk is supposed to be slimmer and lighter than a hatchet, which makes it a better weapon.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

again, im not expecting a zombie Apocalypse scenario, so the "weapon" part is moot for my needs, but i have indeed noticed that they were slimmer and lighter, which could absolutely be a huge plus for packing one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    then theres this..
    http://www.dsarms.com/p-14068-ds-arm...ead-cover.aspx

build an Ar and a trip to the ER.
    OK, now that is just too cool. Whoever thought of incorporating an AR multi-wrench into a tomahawk is genius!!!
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Nothing says OSHA Non-Compliant like razor sharp edges on your wrenches.

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    Nothing says OSHA Non-Compliant like razor sharp edges on your wrenches.

Well said!

But that wrench really does conjure up an "I WANT" reaction, at least from me. I'd likely never use it as a wrench, but it sure has that "neat" vibe to it.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

As pointed out the spike is a left over in design from the days of metal armor. The spike was for piercing armor plate, (chest plate, back plate, helmet). If you want a hammer, get a hammer. If you want to chop kindling get a hatchet. The hatchet was around at the time the Tomahawk was in use, but most frontiersmen chose to carry a Tomahawk vs. a hatchet. The Hawk was a better fighting tool than a short heavy hatchet.

Fast forward to modern times. There might be an argument for the spike even today. Kevlar body armor might stop the blade edge on a hatchet, (I say might because I've never tried to chop a vest with a hatchet). On the other hand I do know that most Kevlar body armor is not stab proof especially for spike like objects. (Ice picks)

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I'm not much of a tomahawk fan...more of a machete fan, but I do have one of these and these are pretty neat. For a while my son and I practiced throwing it and we were getting pretty good at it.

They may look a little flimsy, but they are pretty tough (so long as you don't bend it the wrong way while trying to get it out the wooden target we used. They, also, are nicely balanced. Still, if push came to shove, I'd grab my machete first....

440324.jpg
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars