Thread: Question about lower marked pistol

Question about lower marked pistol

Someone please enlighten me as I am a complete idiot in this regard. If I was to buy this lower.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...tol-lower.html

Could I mate it to this upper.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...arging-handle/

Put a stock on it and be legal?

I believe if it is marked pistol and you make a rifle out of it you are in violation. that it is marked pistol makes it for that purpose only. I am probably wrong but that is my take.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I dunno....

But depending on your State, you can always SBR a "pistol" FWIW
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I'm not really interested in an AR 10 pistol. I was just wondering because if I can do this, I would have and AR 10 for around $750 plus the stock.

I ran across this article which leads me to believe it would be okay. I don't know the source though, but of course everything on the internet is true.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/11...isconceptions/

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Per ATF and verified with the papers with my Beretta Neos pistol/carbine kit, you can use a pistol frame with a stock as long as you install a 16 inch minimum length barrel first before attaching the stock. You can return to original pistol configuration by first removing the stock, then installing standard pistol barrel.

Following that, with an AR lower marked for pistol, you would have to install an upper with a barrel length of over 16 inches, either full length barrel or shorter barrel with an extension to bring it over the 16 inch not in the second amendment rule. Or pay the tax which then makes it ok as recertified by Super Justice Roberts.

Thanks Nut. What you said is pretty much verbatim what was in the article. One thing it said was you should build it as a pistol first. This allows you to switch back and forth between pistol and rifle. My next question is what constitutes a pistol? If I put that 18" upper on it with no stock, is that a pistol?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I went in and looked at the Palmetto PA-10 offerings. The Rifle complete lower is about $50 bucks more than the complete pistol lower you linked. My thoughts are these; why piss around with a pistol lower when you want a rifle anyway for $50 bucks?

Say you get the pistol lower and that 18" rifle upper. Not very friendly to shooting in that configuration IMO, so then you're going to put a rifle buffer and stock on it. That's way more money than $50 bucks. Or you want to use the Sig Brace, those are $140 retail so way more money than the $50 bucks of the true PA-10 Lower.

If you recall I built an AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel. I used the Sig Brace, it skirts around the SBR $200 buck tax because it is a pistol, the Sig Brace is not a buttstock. Still you can shoulder it as if it was a buttstock. I saved $60 bucks which is not that much on the face of it. What I did save was having to run around; get finger printed, take a form 1 (I think) to the CLEO to get his sign off. I didn't have to take my mug shot and attach it to all the paper work. Lastly I didn't have to wait for permission 9 to 10 months to be told I can do what I want to do in assembling a weapon of my choice. The cheapest thing in the whole project was the $39.95 Anderson Manufacturing milled from a forging Pistol Lower.

My point is if you want a rifle just get the rifle lower and stop dicking around for $50 bucks. My 2 cents.

Schuetz, you are absolutely correct. I didn't even think to check for a complete rifle lower after I saw that pistol lower on the special page.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I long for the day when we don't have to worry about such piddly non-sense like this. BATFEFBHO rules make about as much sense as square-shaped wheels.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003