Thread: Went Hunting.

Went Hunting.

Took my son out Sunday up to camp. We got there and unloaded. Nothing special. Firearms season officially started on Monday. But we had a tradition of sitting in the stand the night before just to see what might show up. He didn't want to do that so we made some dinner and watched some Band Of Brothers.

We got up early Monday morning, ate breakfast. Got ready to head to the stand. We brought his .270, .243, my .308, Sar 1, K98. After some discussion the night before, he decided that he wanted to hunt with the Sar 1. I thought that I would hunt with the K98 just for giggles. Where we hunt there is rarely a shot over 80 yards so open sights are just as good as a scoped rifle.

At about 6:15 we heard something moving. Still kind of dark, turns out it was a possum underneath the stand. First shot we heard was about 6:45. We sat in the stand till about 11. Didn't see anything except a turkey and I saw a white tail off in the distance. So, we decided to break for lunch. We head down the hill to the front of the property get to the road, and then walk the half mile back to the cabin on our private road which is gated and posted at the front.

We eat, he wants to nap, the wind picks up and it gets really warm. While my son is taking a nap. I decide to walk around to see what I can see. I head to the back of the property and notice that someone had put up green marking tape/ribbon from the property line all the way up the hill. Now recently we had been contacted about a gas line that is proposed in the state and the company asked if I would mind them walking my property. I said, that they could walk it. Nothing else. So, I took the tape down.

I get back to the cabin around 2 pm. Son is up. So we sit on the front porch talking and just looking for deer. I told him, hey why not walk around and see what we can see? So we decide to walk the road up to the gate. We get about half way there. I was just about to tell him to stop looking at the ground and look into the woods when he stoops down, picks something up and asks me Dad, is this your flashlight?

I looked at it and said, well it is now! We get to the gate and some jerk wad left a 3/4 full root beer can at the gate. It had rained pretty good the night before and we could tell that some one had parked at the gate off the main road, then backed out onto the road.

Now when we had walked the road earlier in the day, we didn't see the flashlight. Plus where it was in our road, if it were there the night before we would have run it over. So we surmised that the trespassers must have parked at the gate, started walking in and when they reached the end of the road leading up to the cabin saw our truck there and then decided to leave. We were going to stay another night, but he had a Civil Air Patrol meeting last night that he wanted to go to. Plus my Daughter is in town from school, and I wanted to spend some time with her.

Turns out, Daughter had some friends over, and then son was too tired to go to the meeting. I am off today so I am going to head back up there and put some more no hunting signs up.

Well, yesterday as we were leaving camp. We get about 100 yards down the main road, and have to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a doe. Sure enough about a 1/4 mile later. 4 more does in the road. Halfway home we see a deer run out in front of the car that is ahead of us. He hits it. We both stop, the deer was stunned and ran off. The guy was from California and was a little shaken up about hitting the deer, and didn't know what to do. As we watched the deer stumble off. I was prepared to take care of the deer if it were seriously hurt.

Now I told my son, you know what is going to happen. When we get home there are going to be plenty of deer on our front lawn. We live in a residential neighborhood that you can't hunt on. Sure as sh*t. There is a really nice 4 point right off of our driveway.

Now had I known that he wasn't going to go to his meeting and that my daughter had friends over. I would have pushed for staying another night and trying to hunt this morning. Oh well. We counted over 140 shots yesterday. Some close to us, but not on our property. I just find it really irritating that someone would have the balls to park at my gate, walk on my posted property then leave their trash at the gate. Oh well, rant off. At least there was no confrontation, plus now I have a new really nice flashlight.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

A new flashlight is always a plus, especially when it is free!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

I don't have that much property to hunt, but it is so bad here that they pull up my No Trespassing sings and throw them away..

Been told by some that they have hunted here for years, and I have no right to put them off this property!

sorry to hear about this from both of you. this is no different than what is going on in Mo. lack of respect and this does not apply to me and I am above your decision.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Now imagine what it would be like after shtf.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Got Hassled by the MAN!!

Well, me and my son went back up there today. We got up around 1 pm. Put a few fresh No Trespassing signs on the gate, and around the entrance. Went back down our road and put some more signs up. Went into the woods. Sat, heard a turkey, plenty of tree rats. Didn't see any deer. Got back to the truck. Unloaded the rifles. Drove to the front gate. I still had a few signs so we drove down the length of the property and put signs up. As we were doing this about three cars passed us. I waved them along. Well, we turn around to drive to the other end of the property. We get to the end, put the truck in park. About to get out and put the last sign up when a blue SUV pulls along us, from the opposite way.

The two guys were wearing orange vests. At first I thought that they were other hunters going to ask us how we did. Then the lights come on. Now I was parked off the side of the road on my property. LOOONG story short. They had got a call about two guys in a pick up shooting from the road. I told them that we were just putting up no trespass signs. It was almost comical. But as it turns out I had talked to one of the guys about 3 weeks ago at midnight when one of my neighbors up there called the police because of cars parked at the entrance to my gate.

I did tell them that I had a loaded pistol on me. With my CCW. He said good for you. Very pleasant experience. I thanked them several times for stopping and doing their job in a professional manor. The officers gave me their phone numbers and told me to call them at any time if I ever had a problem. All in all very good and nice to know that property is being looked after out there.

Some might remember that my same cabin was pretty much gutted years ago by thieves. The state patrol at the time basically told me. Sucks to be you. Just an up date.