Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And in news that genuinely matters...40,000% INCREASE IN CESIUM READINGS IN 500 TONS OF RADIOACTIVE WATER...from Fukashima

And in news that genuinely matters...40,000% INCREASE IN CESIUM READINGS IN 500 TONS OF RADIOACTIVE WATER...from Fukashima

Massive Failure: Highly-radioactive water flowing into trench at Fukushima plant fails

Barrier is not holding at Fukushima plant — All efforts have failed to stop very high levels of radioactive materials flowing into ocean — Officials: More water’s coming in than we were pumping out —
    http://conservativeread.com/massive-...a-plant-fails/
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

it has the word conservative in the title can't be true.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Maybe we'll see a giant Rock Lobster Terrorize Toyo in the next year. Sucks to be them.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

I like how the article had zero data on actual cesium levels, what cesium isotopes were present, and normal background.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

"And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

This has disastrous consequences written all over it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    I like how the article had zero data on actual cesium levels, what cesium isotopes were present, and normal background.
    You don't actually expect news articles to be informative, now do you?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    This has disastrous consequences written all over it.

"The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter."
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Considering how vast and expansive the Pacific Ocean is, it would take many, many Fukashima disasters to ever cause any serious alarm.

Just more propaganda being pumped out by the fossil-fuel industry to try to scare us into not converting so many of our dirty coal-fired power plants to carbon-free nuclear power.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Was also thinking about the dilution rate as the water enters that not so tiny pond called the Pacific Ocean.

Also waiting for word on Godzilla entering Tokyo Harbor!

Gozirra, beeg rizzard!

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Considering how vast and expansive the Pacific Ocean is, it would take many, many Fukashima disasters to ever cause any serious alarm.
    Given cesium has a half life of over 30 years, and given it's still pouring into the ocean, looks like there will be lots of time to tell if you're right or wrong.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Just more propaganda being pumped out by the fossil-fuel industry to try to scare us into not converting so many of our dirty coal-fired power plants to carbon-free nuclear power.
    And what credentials do hold to make this claim ? anything to back up your theory ?

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    And what credentials do hold to make this claim ? anything to back up your theory ?
    http://www.theengineer.co.uk/opinion...017047.article
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

There you have it...an opinion piece by a features editor...settled science.

The Engineer is an esteemed British science and technology journal. I think it's pretty safe to say that all articles and opinion pieces are vetted by staff scientists and engineers and reflect the general consensus of the board.

But by all means, go back to donning your tin-foil hat and full-body radiation suit if you're afraid the miniscule amount of cesium seeping into the ocean is going to contaminate the 187 quintillion (187,189,915,062 billion) gallons of water in the Pacific Ocean and ever be a real danger by the time it reaches here.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

But by all means, go back to donning your tin-foil hat and full-body radiation suit if you're afraid the miniscule amount of cesium seeping into the ocean is going to contaminate the 187 quintillion (187,189,915,062 billion) gallons of water in the Pacific Ocean and ever be a real danger by the time it reaches here.
    It is not often that I agree with LAGC, but his logic and the logic of the author are sound, and the author backs up his conclusions with examples. This radioactive water is an issue for Japan and for the areas immediately next to Japan, but not much farther. I am not even sure that China or Korea are in much danger.

This is a much different issue than at Chernobyl where the radioactivity is airborne, or will become airborne if disturbed. There are a few reasons for this. First, airborne contamination (radioactive particles or dust), disburses much more readily and it is in a medium that is not a very effective shield to the radiation given off. Water if a very effective shield medium with a tenth thickness of between 2-24". A tenth thickness is the amount of a substance that will reduce radiation levels by a tenth (ie, if a source gives off 1 rem and you are on the opposite side of 1 tenth thickness of shielding your exposure would be .1 rem). Water also binds with the contamination preventing it from spreading very far and very fast. The longer it takes for the contamination to move the less there will be due to decay. Granted the half-life is about 30 years or more for some of the isotopes being seen but it is still decaying at a constant rate. Last, as LAGC has pointed out is the dilution factor. The estimate is about 1.25 million gallons of contaminated water being introduced into 1.87 quintillion gallons of water. This gives about 6.7 x 10(-7) parts per million, or almost nothing.

Since it was asked of LAGC, I will answer as well. My knowledge of contamination and radioactivity comes from working in nuclear power, as an operator, maintainer, supervisor, manager, and executive for over 30 years. I do not have a PHd, but lots of training and practical experience.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    It is not often that I agree with LAGC, but his logic and the logic of the author are sound, and the author backs up his conclusions with examples. This radioactive water is an issue for Japan and for the areas immediately next to Japan, but not much farther. I am not even sure that China or Korea are in much danger.

This is a much different issue than at Chernobyl where the radioactivity is airborne, or will become airborne if disturbed. There are a few reasons for this. First, airborne contamination (radioactive particles or dust), disburses much more readily and it is in a medium that is not a very effective shield to the radiation given off. Water if a very effective shield medium with a tenth thickness of between 2-24". A tenth thickness is the amount of a substance that will reduce radiation levels by a tenth (ie, if a source gives off 1 rem and you are on the opposite side of 1 tenth thickness of shielding your exposure would be .1 rem). Water also binds with the contamination preventing it from spreading very far and very fast. The longer it takes for the contamination to move the less there will be due to decay. Granted the half-life is about 30 years or more for some of the isotopes being seen but it is still decaying at a constant rate. Last, as LAGC has pointed out is the dilution factor. The estimate is about 1.25 million gallons of contaminated water being introduced into 1.87 quintillion gallons of water. This gives about 6.7 x 10(-7) parts per million, or almost nothing.

Since it was asked of LAGC, I will answer as well. My knowledge of contamination and radioactivity comes from working in nuclear power, as an operator, maintainer, supervisor, manager, and executive for over 30 years. I do not have a PHd, but lots of training and practical experience.
    You are right. My Uncle was head of operations for the South Texas Project, the world's largest two commercial reactors. He always said people way over reacted to the dangers of nuclear power.

And LAGC is wrong, it is the anti-nuke left overs from the sixties that fight nuclear power and fear monger the industry.

Chernobyl's problem was piss poor, cheap design and even worse operation. Morons should not build and run nukes. Fukashima's problem was location. Japan didn't put enough thought in where they placed it. Three Mile Island was operational stupidity (my uncle did the investigation). Chernobyl and Three Mile Island had the operational people override every safety shut down in place to get the reactors to fail instead of automatically shutting down.

Europe has a higher percentage of nukes supplying power than the USA and has had no problems. The USA has had one incident that was mostly contained because of good design (even when the operators went full retard). Nukes built right and operated like they are supposed to be are one of the safest and cleanest power sources.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    And LAGC is wrong, it is the anti-nuke left overs from the sixties that fight nuclear power and fear monger the industry.
    You are right about that. If liberals could get rid of nuclear power they would. It scares them because they don't understand it.

Speaking of Chernobyl, don't forget about how the management tried to hide the fact that there was a problem which meant that no serious action was taken for between 8-12 hours. The people responsible for Chernobyl should have been tried and executed before they were able to die from radiation exposure. They killed hundreds of people, many were soldiers who had no idea what they were being asked to do and that there was no way for them to live what they were being asked to do. It is just sad and maddening.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Chernobyl wouldn't have happened if the control team hadn't got a bright idea to try increasing efficiency or whatever they did that got away from them. If they hadn't strayed from the sop there wouldn't have been an event even if the design is inherently poor.

Be that as it may, why is Fukushima of no consequence yet globular warmins is the end of the world?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast