Thread: Went Shooting

Went Shooting

I have had vacation this week. First paid time off in 5 years. Well, as it goes. My time was spent doing things for others this week. I was going to go hunt yesterday, but my son had a Band parade. It was cancelled due to rain. He had two today. But both were canceled (rain.) So, no hunting today or parades. We find out that the afternoon parade was canceled at 2pm.

So, son and I went to a local indoor range. 8 lanes. We know the owners in a round about way. But we took the Uzi, though couldn't shoot it as there were other people there, and we didn't want to abuse our privileges.

Son wanted to sight in a few AR's. Did that, shot a mini 14. Pistol wise took a .32, .38,.357, and .22. We shot for two hours. Cost us 40.00 in range fee. We don't go that often, but if we were members it would be a one time fee for the year. But, I really don't like shooting paper, especially if I can go do it for free outdoors.

Well, sighted in a bushmaster that I have had for SEVERAL years and never put on paper. It has the floated handgaurd, and fluted barrel. I was really surprised at how accurate it was. Son was making consistent groups and several holes touching. Impressive.

Sorry to pics. But we had a great time. Son shot more than I did. Even when the range cleared out and we were the only ones there. I didn't ask to bring out the Uzi.

Another thing that I don't like there is brass only. No steel cased ammo. So, we had to use non wolf/tula ammo.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sounds like a good time, even with the cost.

I have seen quite a few ranges that require brass only and they don't allow you collect your own. More dollars for them.

I was looking forward to a range opening up two miles from my home, but when they announced their prices plus you have to buy their targets, I would rather drive the 100 miles round trip to a free outdoor range, regardless of the weather, and put up with the fudds.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Sounds like a good day. You did what I am hoping to do while I am on vacation. Well, except for the rain part.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I've got some guys coming over tomorrow
    We've been trying to meet the first weekend of the month this will be the third time
    Each time there's more showing up
    I'll be hanging around more than shooting (still healing) but if they let me I'll try to get some pics
    I'll add it to this thread if that's cool with you El Duce
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Always good to hear of some quality range time with a Father and Son. These are moments your son should remember in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    I've got some guys coming over tomorrow
    We've been trying to meet the first weekend of the month this will be the third time
    Each time there's more showing up
    I'll be hanging around more than shooting (still healing) but if they let me I'll try to get some pics
    I'll add it to this thread if that's cool with you El Duce
    Fine by me! My camera phone sucks. Plus I don't think that we have used a digital camera in awhile.

We had thought about joining this range. But in reality. I/we don't shoot as much as we used to. I don't reload, so the brass pick up isn't the issue. I would rather go shoot steel targets at a longer distance. Plus, I could drive the same amount of time in a different direction and shoot for free all day long. And not shoot my "good" brass cased ammo.

Son wanted to go. So we went. Still a better way to spend the afternoon.

Like I had stated. This was the first paid vacation that I have had in 5 years. What did I do all week? Cook for a local benefit, for 120 people. Great way to spend a vacation. Normally I get paid out for vacation that I don't use. I am off today and tomorrow. Might try to spend the last day of it in the woods.

Well OK then

Turned out to be a pretty nice day a little overcast but that's fine
    Only three of us so we skipped the trap little windy anyway.

I had some .22 sensitive tanerite we've been wanting to try out

Those things are loud for their size.
    Got some pistols out too

Later we rolled the gun rack inside and had some food

After letting the food settle decided to finish off a little more ammo and pack up

After sitting around the fire till it died down it was time to call it a day

Good day over all

Looks like great fun! Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    I would rather go shoot steel targets at a longer distance.
    Wow didn't realize how far back this thread was, we started using those here. Out to about 100 yds we really don't want to push it much farther, there's another place we can go with a good stop. Stopped the rounds good enough
    Anyway after missing a couple months we got together again. I heard it was snowing in Chicago wouldn't have known it here. Little cool and windy but we got 'er done again. Just wanted to share a pic before they got put away again

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quite a spread of diversity in firearms there Otto. I too was surprised to see how long ago this original thread started.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thread zombie!

Nice pics, Otto. One of these days I'd like to make the trip down I-65 & bust some caps with you. I've got some interesting toys you might like.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Quite a spread of diversity in firearms there Otto. I too was surprised to see how long ago this original thread started.
    Then there was the stuff the other guys brought

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Thread zombie!

Nice pics, Otto. One of these days I'd like to make the trip down I-65 & bust some caps with you. I've got some interesting toys you might like.
    I would really like that. There was just three of us again we asked others but just us again kind of last minute.
    Our schedule got a little behind mostly weather even though I shoveled the area off.
    If we can get it together with a little more time for people to plan I'll for sure let you know
    Of course if your welcome if you get down that way just a couple miles southeast of the Dairy intersection

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Then there was the stuff the other guys brought

I would really like that. There was just three of us again we asked others but just us again kind of last minute.
    Our schedule got a little behind mostly weather even though I shoveled the area off.
    If we can get it together with a little more time for people to plan I'll for sure let you know
    Of course if your welcome if you get down that way just a couple miles southeast of the Dairy intersection
    Most excellent.