Thread: RECALL: G2 Recalls R.I.P. Ammunition in .45ACP

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

RECALL: G2 Recalls R.I.P. Ammunition in .45ACP

RECALL: G2 Recalls R.I.P. Ammunition in .45ACP

"The last round you'll ever need" is now the last round you ever want in .45 ACP.

G2 Research, makers of the controversial G2 R.I.P. (Radically Invasive Projectile) ammunition quietly released a recall and warning related to the .45ACP version of their round.

It seems all of the ammunition made from July through November had a defect causing it to malfunction in Glock handguns. The malfunction was potentially catastrophic.

http://www.easybakegunclub.com/news/...in-.45ACP.html
    https://www.facebook.com/G2Research/...268569/?type=1

Be careful...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

AFAIK Glocks don't have "unsupported chambers". Here is a photo I got off the web years ago.

What exactly do you change with the ammo, make a thicker case?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I think G2 loaded too hot in the batch recalled....
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Probably. Why would chamber pressure increase due to an "unsupported chamber"? Seems that if a case lacks support it will swell/stretch in that area and even if it doesn't rupture the chamber pressure would actually decrease. I had some issues with Double Tap 135gr 10mm years ago where the case actually cracked. The G29 was stock except for a heavier Wolf recoil spring I installed before heading to the range. There were several other reports at the time of individuals getting ka-booms with the same ammo. I contacted Double Tap and shipped back the rest of the box. Never did hear what the problem might have been but they shipped me back a full box of 165gr that I requested as a replacement.

I do recall the 135gr load was stout enough that it left the checkering impression from the Glocks grip in the palm of my hand. Here is a couple of pics showing my fired cases.

Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I'm wondering if it isn't the barrel end, but the bolt/extractor end of the Glock mechanism that is the problem. Is the extractor area of the others supporting the case base?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No they don't IMO, (extractor question). If chamber pressure is too high for the brass's rating they're going to blow out. A great example of this for me were some 9 mm handloads I'd made up. In my Glock 19 they were fine, zero pressure signs on the cases, no bulging, primers not flattened. Put them in a 16.25" barreled Group Industries Uzi carbine and suddenly I had huge bulges at the head of the case. The primers were flattened smooth in the pockets and picked up tooling marks left on the bolt face.

The longer barrel of the Uzi?

I would have thought the subgun could handle hotter loads...

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post

that dosent mean the brass can.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post

It is a Group Industries Uzi, a Semi Auto with a 16.25" barrel. The Glock has about a 4" long barrel. The powder was AA7 a slower powder and the bullets were 147 gr. The AA7 is fairly slow burning so it can take advantage of longer barrels to deliver more speed. A maximum load that didn't produce high pressure signs in the 19, was bulging the crap out of the cases at the head over the feed ramp. These were standard 9 x 19 cases, none were +P brass.

I switched to AA5 powder and a max load there worked in the shorter 19 and the Uzi with the 147 grainers. The take away from this lesson is understand the powder type / burn rate and what it brings to the party via barrel length.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    AFAIK Glocks don't have "unsupported chambers".

That's always what they blame but personally I think the Glock KBs can more be attributed to the polygonal rifling than a lack of chamber support.

On traditional land and grooves in an overpressure situation, some of the excess pressure can blow by the bullet through the grooves, but on the poly there is very little space for gasses to escape. It has no place to go except through the unsupported area of the case over the ramp.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    That's always what they blame but personally I think the Glock KBs can more be attributed to the polygonal rifling than a lack of chamber support.

On traditional land and grooves in an overpressure situation, some of the excess pressure can blow by the bullet through the grooves, but on the poly there is very little space for gasses to escape. It has no place to go except through the unsupported area of the case over the ramp.

HK's have it as well....yet, you never hear of them Kabooming....
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    HK's have it as well....yet, you never hear of them Kabooming....

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...k-45-c-kaboom/

HKs are also far less common than Glocks and I would imagine less likely to have cheap reloads used in them.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???