Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M17s Bullpup - collect it, modernize it, or sell it?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

M17s Bullpup - collect it, modernize it, or sell it?

Title pretty much says it all. I bought a Bushmaster M17s Bullpup after my 18'th birthday ten years ago. Now I'm unsure of what to do with it.

If I sell it, I'll get a new gun but I'll miss the M17s for nostalgia purposes. The new gun would be a new AR or AK.

If I modernize it, I'll have to pay for for about $250 in parts, plus optics and light. And then it will no longer be an 80's collectible. Modernization would include top and bottom rails, new charging handle, cheek rest, optics, flashlight, VG, and a new muzzle device.

If I keep it as-is, I'll be holding on a to a keepsake, but I don't care to use it as a defensive weapon in its factory configuration. It would essentially be nothing but a collectible and a souvenir from my days as a young lad.

What are your thoughts?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Title pretty much says it all. I bought a Bushmaster M17s Bullpup after my 18'th birthday ten years ago. Now I'm unsure of what to do with it.

If I sell it, I'll get a new gun but I'll miss the M17s for nostalgia purposes. The new gun would be a new AR or AK.

If I modernize it, I'll have to pay for for about $250 in parts, plus optics and light. And then it will no longer be an 80's collectible. Modernization would include top and bottom rails, new charging handle, cheek rest, optics, flashlight, VG, and a new muzzle device.

If I keep it as-is, I'll be holding on a to a keepsake, but I don't care to use it as a defensive weapon in its factory configuration. It would essentially be nothing but a collectible and a souvenir from my days as a young lad.

What are your thoughts?
    Don't customize it. It IS memorabilia from another period. I can guarantee you that there is some collector out there who will want a strictly ORIGINAL version of this gun. I'm that way. I don't buy heavily customized weapons. As for milspec guns (and I know that the M17S is not a military gun by any stretch of the imagination) I only buy weapons in configurations that were ISSUED or saw combat. All that mall ninja, custom stuff is for other types of customers Just IMHO. I have one too. It's NOT a good shooter. Way too back heavy and I don't like the charging handle. Also for some reason mine short strokes all the time Can't figure why. Oh well

IMHO, it's one of those guns you're going to regret getting rid of.

I saw 1 or 2 ever, and that's it.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The M17S never caught on, and I don't think Bushmaster sold many. There are enough out there that they aren't that rare number wise, but not enough that you run into them everywhere.

My M17S shooter has been very reliable for me, and very accurate. It's short length hides a long 21 inch barrel and although a heavy rifle, once shouldered it does balance fairly well. It also gets a lot of attention when I pull it out at the range.

My prediction is that it will increase in value over time, and in the not too distant future can make you glad you kept it original. Bullpups are slowly catching on, think Tavor.

The rifle in this picture has a modified receiver, but I have one to replace this one if I ever sell it. The Beta C-mag makes it almost impossible to hold since you have to worm your arm around it, but once shouldered it does fit tightly and will give your arms a good workout.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I'd keep it just like it is for now.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

From an investment point, it is likely gaining more value than money in the bank and it can't go to zero like a stock.

From a nostalgia point, one of or the fist gun purchase as a new adult, you can't beat it.

I'd hold unless I really needed the money...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I think yall are right, I should keep it as a collectible.

I already have a few 80's guns, so I should just think of them as my 80's collection.

Hell, I keep the TEC-9 for nostalgia even though it never gets shot, so why not this too.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Unlike a woman it won't; get wrinkles, get fat, get bitchy, spend your money unless you let it. It won't yell at you for leaving it at home. Might as well keep it.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

id agree, first, dont mess it up. take option b right off the table.

and as said, it holds sentimental value for you. you cant buy that in another gun and, contrary to what a lot of sellers think, cannot charge a buyer for it.

i always wanted a ss mini 14 with the flding stock on it. apparently like on the a-team. i never watched the a-team, and would have no idea about this connection if ppl hadnt made the comment before. but a friend had one, and i thought it was cool as shit (maybe he was an a-team fan?? idk) years later i found one cheap, so i picked it up. the gun is no where near as good as the nostalgic memories. in actual shooting, i cant stand the damn thing, and it cant hit the broad side of a barn. BUT, in looking at it, i remember how i yearned for it in years past and how cool i thought it was, which to be fair, still has the look, even if ive grwn to hate the function. and, like schutez said, its not eating anything. unless you really need the money/space, keep it.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Check out this website:

http://www.kmaerospace.com/M17s%20Mo...%20Rails.shtml

This guy sells a top rail and flat charging handle that can be installed without permanently modifying the firearm in any way. Remove the carry handle and replace it with a full length top rail. I plan on doing this to mine down the road.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Unlike a woman it won't; get wrinkles, get fat, get bitchy, spend your money unless you let it. It won't yell at you for leaving it at home. Might as well keep it.
    yup. well said. you be funny sometime.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

And if it's too loud you can silence it.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    And if it's too loud you can silence it.
    or just lock it away for years at a time.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    or just lock it away for years at a time.
    I keep that short black bitch locked in the closet.

Good job Ike
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I keep that short black bitch locked in the closet.
    Why you racist you!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    Good job Ike
    Why you racist you!
    Hell, the only reason I ever take her out anymore is to get her lubed up and work her action some.

I faced the same decision a couple years ago and I'll probably regret it at some point but I've had several M17S's in the last 20 or so years ... the one before this i don't think i ever even shot before I sold it, then I got this one for a "steal" so I took it to my machinist and spent some money with K&M and now I enjoy it ... Yes, the barrel is cut down to 16 & 1/16" it's very handy, lighter and runs cooler. IMHO the way they should have been made in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    I faced the same decision a couple years ago and I'll probably regret it at some point but I've had several M17S's in the last 20 or so years ... the one before this i don't think i ever even shot before I sold it, then I got this one for a "steal" so I took it to my machinist and spent some money with K&M and now I enjoy it ... Yes, the barrel is cut down to 16 & 1/16" it's very handy, lighter and runs cooler. IMHO the way they should have been made in the first place.

This one is pretty cool. IMHO do what you want with it. I may be wrong but I don't see them becoming collector pieces like original HKs or Sigs have. I kinda hate that guns have become investments like classic cars have, puts them out of reach of a lot of people and in my opinion safe queens are less enjoyable than range guns.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post

Looks like a good rifle.

I had the same mods in mind, except I would leave the barrel stock. And I'm on the fence about the cooling vents.

Thanks for making my decision more difficult.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast