Thread: That time of year again. 4 wheeler won't run.

That time of year again. 4 wheeler won't run.

2000 arctic cat with less than 500 miles on it. Yes less than 500 miles. I put a new fuel filter on it. Changed the oil, new battery. It will turn over. Run with some starting fluid. Run with some gas poured on the air filter. But that's about it. What say you?

bad gas, stuck float or gummed up injectors.

Give it fresh gas, run it for a bit on starting fluid/gum-out.

Other than that it would be clear/ clear carb/injectors, fuel line.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Old gas?
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Time to clean the carb.

Got it to idle. So, it's a start. Sorry for the pun. Changed out the gas. I agree time to clean out the carb. Call me a procrastinator. But, I do always wait for the cold weather to mess with this darn thing.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 00RedZX-6R View Post
    Time to clean the carb.
    Yep. Sometimes my Grizzly will do that. There should be a hose coming off the bottom of the carb. With a Philips headed needle valve close by it but still on the bowl. Unscrew/open the valve. If gas runs out of the hose.....your getting gas. If you don't, the floats are stuck up or the carb is gummed up.

i have an '03 Yamaha Bear Tracker that used to give me very similar fits. it would start and idle (maybe, on a good day) but try to give it gas and it would choke. IF it would move it would bog down trying to climb any sort of grade. i tried it all: fresh gas, fuel filter, clean the carb, etc etc.

i have a neighbor who used to run hill climbers and such and actually has the very same bike in his barn, that had the very same problems. he suggested replacing the Main Jet with the next size up. it gave the bike that little shot of "umff" to correct the problem.

instead of taking the bike out back and shooting it i now run it every day on the farm.

El Duce, maybe you might try the same thing on your Arctic Cat. it might just do the trick and the part had minimal cost/installation hassle associated with it.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Try fresh gas with a double dose of "Seafoam" added to the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoctor View Post
    Looked all over the garage for the seafoam. I got it to idle pretty well for awhile before I shut it down. Got it on the charger for a bit more, and then give it another go tomorrow. Thanks for all of the advice and replies!

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoctor View Post
    Do not "double dose" seafoam! You can do serious damage to the engine.

Personally I won't put it in a tank, it really doesn't mix that well with gas. I prefer to put it directly into the carb/throttle body, or let it suck in through a vacuum hose. Just a bit slowly, on a fully warmed up engine, until the engine starts to die, shit down and let it sit 5 minutes. Then start it up and run it gently. Only to about 2X idle speed until the white smoke stops. Then you are good to go.

If you want to use a cleaner additive for gas, then use a real cleaner additive for gas, not seafoam.

Just my 2 cents. Some people love it, some say it hurts stuff, others just say it's a waste of money that turns your exhaust white for a few minutes.

But nobody should say to "double dose" it.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Don't use starting fluid, it burns away the layer of oil on the inside of the cylinder, a better alternative is wd40, which leaves some lubrication behind.

Broondog - good advice.
    El Duce - do you have a portable generator? If so, do you start it up about every other month and run it for 5-15 minutes (depending on size)? Have you ever had a problem starting it if you let it sit for several months?
    Then why would your Arctic Cat be any different?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Broondog - good advice.
    El Duce - do you have a portable generator? If so, do you start it up about every other month and run it for 5-15 minutes (depending on size)? Have you ever had a problem starting it if you let it sit for several months?
    Then why would your Arctic Cat be any different?
    I do have the portable generator. (though I put stabil in the gas). My cat has been a piece of crap since the day that I bought it. I only really use it for plowing driveways, and sweeping grass off of the front yard. It's been on the charger. Now that I got home. Going to give it another try. Thanks again for all of the helpful advice.

Well, it started, let it idle for about 15 minutes. Then. I was able to drive it around the driveway. So, I would call that success. Thanks again folks! Put some of the sea foam in it. I think that did the trick. Plus new gas. Fresh battery probably helped as well.