Thread: Can anyone help with a translation? (Spanish/Portuguese?)

Can anyone help with a translation? (Spanish/Portuguese?)

It's from a Santana song called "Hannibal". It's a great jam but I've always wondered what they were saying:

Ah ya e ya
    Ah e yea ya
    Oba ibo si areo
    Ergua mala gura
    Obakoso cabiosile ache

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEzZ6M6WYc
    CHOOT UM!

I tried popping that mess into a translator and got very little. I tried looking up the songs meaning, but it didn’t show much. The last part has some thing to do with an old south American god/king, Obakoso. The cabiosile is a greeting to a king or something. I’m interested in this now, but I got other things to do right now.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

translator wants to auto detect it as esperanto.

(Some persons name) your back side makes my heart ache.

I think the meaning is basically "You are breaking my heart by walking away"

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    (Some persons name) your back side makes my heart ache.

I think the meaning is basically "You are breaking my heart by walking away"
    Interesting. How did you come up w that?
    CHOOT UM!

I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    Interesting. How did you come up w that?
    The first part "Ah ya e ya Ah e yea ya" is just sounds...sort of affectionate sounds like "oo la la's" or "yeah baby's" that you might hear in American songs

Then "Oba ibo" I think is a name

"si areo" another area (said by a male)

"Ergua mala gura" (something) bad feeling

Obakoso cabiosile ache (somebody's name, possibly an affectionate adaptation of the same above name (like "Mitzi" for a Michelle)

cabliosile is tough, might be a latin root turned pidgin language usage for "heart", might be a bad spelling of "kabiosile" which is a sort of Cuban rural music/culture of former slaves

And then "ache" is ache...like heart ache.

I think it's based on some bit of pidgin language, a mix of Spanish, Esperanto, and possibly local dialect.

Since those base back to Latin, I'm making guesses at long ago learned (poorly) Latin, with what little Spanish and Esperanto I know, weighing it against common song themes (women leaving is rather old and popular).

Anyway, that's my best sense of it. However it could very well be about a cheesecake he ate once in Mala, Peru

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    The first part "Ah ya e ya Ah e yea ya" is just sounds...sort of affectionate sounds like "oo la la's" or "yeah baby's" that you might hear in American songs

Then "Oba ibo" I think is a name

"si areo" another area (said by a male)

"Ergua mala gura" (something) bad feeling

Obakoso cabiosile ache (somebody's name, possibly an affectionate adaptation of the same above name (like "Mitzi" for a Michelle)

cabliosile is tough, might be a latin root turned pidgin language usage for "heart", might be a bad spelling of "kabiosile" which is a sort of Cuban rural music/culture of former slaves

And then "ache" is ache...like heart ache.

I think it's based on some bit of pidgin language, a mix of Spanish, Esperanto, and possibly local dialect.

Since those base back to Latin, I'm making guesses at long ago learned (poorly) Latin, with what little Spanish and Esperanto I know, weighing it against common song themes (women leaving is rather old and popular).

Anyway, that's my best sense of it. However it could very well be about a cheesecake he ate once in Mala, Peru
    Well that's more solidly based than what I came up with- from throwing out a few Google searches.
    About all I gathered was that obakoso was a greeting for Shango, but I have nothing on which to substantiate that.
    Last edited by Goodman; 12-11-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Cause spell check thinks Shango is spelled 'Ashanti'
    CHOOT UM!