Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The term "Operator"

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

The term "Operator"

I can't quite wrap my head around why in the hell it seems like just about overy Tom, Dick, and Harry with an AR (or a "Tactitooled" AK) seems to feel the need to call themselves an "operator" (Bro, I operate my fuck stick in your mothers sphincter every weekend). You're not a CIA special seal team master sargeant tactical shooter person agent operative guy, and this isn't fucking Call of Duty.. You're a guy shooting his guns. "Yeah, well I'm operating the weapon". I operate a pickup truck. Know what I call myself? A fucking driver. And when I'm shooting my guns, I'm a fucking shooter. Right now I'm operating a lap top computer. That doesn't make me an operator of any sort, that makes me a dick head with a screen, a keyboard, and an internet connection. Doesn't matter what is worn while doing so.

I was going to put this in general firearms, but this term seems tailored to SF wanna be AR fanboys and fuckers that tacticool their AK's, Mosins, and such. If you train to be able to use your gun effectively in a gun fight, good for you, continue to do so, it may save your life and possibly someone elses some day. But cut the crap, do what you do, don't dress it up like you're the be all end all definition of a warrior. You're a guy with guns who enjoys shooting, enjoys his right to bear arms and might be willing to put his life on the line fighting to defend it some day. You're not an operator, there is no urgency, no special task, your life does not presently depend on your actions, and the tool is a simple rifle, not a goddamn jet fighter or piece of complicated machinery.

End rant.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Mmmkay!

+1.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

That's the kind of operator I am.....

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Real operators:

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

So maybe I blew that just a wee bit out of proportion... I usually just point and laugh when guys refer to themselves as operators and move on. I gotta stop posting when I'm out of smokes.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

This whole thread made me chuckle.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

hated that game.............. EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHH
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

I posted a thread specifically for that video. lol

I'll add in the term running. You aren't "running" an optic you are using one.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON8861 View Post
    Welcome to the board! I have an optic for my AR but I haven't used it yet. I am still using the iron sights.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON8861 View Post
    yeah, Sade doesn't even have a song about that.

Thanks bro.

I guess people use the term operator for the same reason the handgun guns matches I used to see at my old gun club had very overweight middle aged dudes quickly running around from target to target. Given the fact that per the NRA, civilian use of a handgun takes place under 21 feet, I don't see why a civilian shooting match involves a lot of running.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Given the fact that per the NRA, civilian use of a handgun takes place under 21 feet, I don't see why a civilian shooting match involves a lot of running.
    For fun.

If the match was nothing but a simulation of a mugging, nobody would have any fun.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I can run from stationary target to stationary target getting my 'pew' on all damn day. Still not enough of a d-bag to claim to be an "operator".

Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast