Thread: thinking of pulling the trigger on a .338 lapua

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

thinking of pulling the trigger on a .338 lapua

I have a .308 bolt gun i am very happy with, but would like something with a little longer legs. I like the .338, amazing range, great ballistics, and devastating round. What kills it for me is one thing, the cost of ammo, buying factory is way too much, the components are rather pricy and I have heard you only get about 5 reloads per casing. I worry at the price per shot, it would go from a range gun to a safe queen. So also thinking about getting a .300 win mag, the ballistics and range are not as great but far better than a .308, but the big plus is the ammo is far more affordable and reloading components are also cheaper.

So which would you get, and is the almost 4x ammo cost for the .338 worth it when compared to the .300 win mag?
    Initial Success or Total Failure

along with the ammo cost, how much more is the up front cost of the .338 compared to the .300.
    how much more stride does the 338 have against the 300.
    seems it comes down to how much you want to shoot.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Unless you plan on shooting over 1,000 yards frequently I'd say a .300 Win Mag is the better option. Besides, if you can't kill it with a .300 Win Mag it probably can't be killed.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

IMHO, 300 win mag.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Do you have 1000 yards or more to use with the .338 Lap? If not you're wasting your money. .300 magnum will be a better choice for you. But if you're in to "Impractical" go whole hog, go .50 BMG. With the BMG round you can get; AP, and API bullets to reload with. Then there's the Hornaday A-Max match grade bullets for high precision.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

both.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I looked at this and it is cheaper to go full 50BMG than .338 Lapua just on ammo alone.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I looked at this and it is cheaper to go full 50BMG than .338 Lapua just on ammo alone.
    +1
    You can get a "budget" rifle like a Savage in .338 for around $1600, but if you're going to pay $5 or more per round you might as well be paying for .50 BMG.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

A very good video on impulse buying :
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    A very good video on impulse buying :
    That was a great video

Ok now you have me looking at .50 cal, let me do some research, but before that I was leaning heavily into the .300 win. Mag, but we will see.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

ive been geting 338 for about $3-3.50 each. right now cabelas has herters for $30/10 i usually buy those at $35, or i get 20 rnd boxes of PPU for $60.

i havent bought any 300wm since i got 2k rounds at cabelas for $10.50/20. havent been deal shopping, but all i see now is at least $40-50/20

haven bought any 50bmg since i got 2 full cans years ago. trust me, 300 rounds of .50 lasts a loooong time, but when i was getting it, cheap surplus went for $1.50-2 per.

but when i was getting it, cheap surplus went for $1.50-2 per.

i used to get 100rd belted cans of .50 from ammunitionstore for $100 shipped, sometimes $89 shipped..... I wish I knew what was coming prior to 2008. I'd be rich.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Another downside to .338 Lapua is barrel life. They burn out after 5K rounds or so.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

That was a funny video.