Thread: 223 pet loads?

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

223 pet loads?

i have a 700 vtr in 223, the one with the triangular barrel. im looking to use some 75 gn hornaday a-max in it.

anyone have any pet loads for these? especially in this rifle? they will likely also get shot out of my "varmint" ar, with the 24" heavy fluted ss bbl. , but im more concerned about accuracy through the 700.

I have a load I really like for the .223 using the 75 gr hornady bullets. I am using the bthp instead of the a-max though as I believe the a-max is too long to be loaded to magazine length. I am using 21.3 gr of VV N135

Mods we should be able to leave this load up as it falls well within the safe range listed on the VV load table here;
    http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...remington.html

Which specifies a starting load of 20.7 gr and a maximum load of 23.3 gr for that bullet and powder combination.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    i have a 700 vtr in 223, the one with the triangular barrel. im looking to use some 75 gn hornaday a-max in it.

anyone have any pet loads for these? especially in this rifle? they will likely also get shot out of my "varmint" ar, with the 24" heavy fluted ss bbl. , but im more concerned about accuracy through the 700.
    How does it shoot with factory loads ? , i always wondered how accurate that barrel would be. Even if there's no significant change in accuracy it looks cool.

i dont buy "fancy" 223. any "factory" loads i have shot out of it will be pmc/american eagle 5.56 xm193 fmj's, so i dont expect much. add to that the fact that i have never had any luck with factory ammo (moderately priced stuff, i have never went for the $3/rnd stuff)

but that said, i have a 4" steel popper that i have no trouble at all hitting 100% of the time at 100yd, but imo, id hardly call that "accurate". and shooting beer bottles out at 200yd im about 70%. ive never tried it on paper.

afa potential, idk. i really dont think the barrel has anything to do with it, imo, the triangle shape is just stiffening the barrel without al the weight of a full bull barrel. just like fluting in a barrel. HOWEVER, it does have a built in directional muzzle break on the front of it, and i do have my prejudices about directional brakes affecting accuracy.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

What is the twist? You'll need a 1 in 8 for that 75 A-Max. Otherwise I'd recommend the 69 gr. Sierra Match King bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I have a load I really like for the .223 using the 75 gr hornady bullets. I am using the bthp instead of the a-max though as I believe the a-max is too long to be loaded to magazine length. I am using 21.3 gr of VV N135

Mods we should be able to leave this load up as it falls well within the safe range listed on the VV load table here;

Which specifies a starting load of 20.7 gr and a maximum load of 23.3 gr for that bullet and powder combination.
    thanks,

yes, good point, let me add that disclaimer:

im a big boy, of course i will check the loads out before shooting any. i hold no one responsible of any information here. i will use at my own risk.

and, of couurse, i know that the pressure allowances are different for the ar as in the bolt gun, and if the 700 load is on the hotter side, while perfectly safe, may not be safe in the ar.

this is not my first rodeo, no need to get the safety nazis involved, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    What is the twist? You'll need a 1 in 8 for that 75 A-Max. Otherwise I'd recommend the 69 gr. Sierra Match King bullet.
    specs say 1:9. id actually prefer a little lighter bullet, but i dont want to go down to the 52gn. i used to love sierra bullets, but lately i have been getting horrible accuracy with the same bullets and same loads ive been using for years. i think the obama rush has really hurt their qc. it makes me weary of trying any new loads with them.

Since I moved from Varget to H355, I dont think Ill ever go back but for a very accurate load i do like benchmark...

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post

IMHO Vihtavuori is over priced vapor wear.

thanks,

yes, good point, let me add that disclaimer:

im a big boy, of course i will check the loads out before shooting any. i hold no one responsible of any information here. i will use at my own risk.

and, of couurse, i know that the pressure allowances are different for the ar as in the bolt gun, and if the 700 load is on the hotter side, while perfectly safe, may not be safe in the ar.

this is not my first rodeo, no need to get the safety nazis involved, please.
    I just pointed out the disclaimer because I know a lot of forums have a strict No Load Data in Posts rule and what I posted should definitely be a safe load.

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    IMHO Vihtavuori is over priced vapor wear.
    I agree with you there it is very expensive. I am looking for a cheaper alternative but I havent loaded anything up yet so I can't recommend it. Schuetzenman made a couple of recommendations for powder in another post that I will dig up when I am ready to load up some more rounds.

The twist I am shooting the 75gr bullets out of is 1:8". I am not sure how 1:9 will do. My barrel wasn't crazy about the SMK 69 gr of 77 gr bullets but I didn't have a lot of rounds through it at that point so it may have needed a break in. I like the Hornady's enough I will probably stick with those though.

Just keep in mind if you go with the A-Max you'll be loading them one at a time in the AR.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

specs say 1:9. id actually prefer a little lighter bullet, but i dont want to go down to the 52gn. i used to love sierra bullets, but lately i have been getting horrible accuracy with the same bullets and same loads ive been using for years. i think the obama rush has really hurt their qc. it makes me weary of trying any new loads with them.
    Based on all I know 1 in 9 isn't barely going to cut it for the Hornaday 75 gr. BTHP. For the A-Max which is longer, not going to work at all. 69 to 68 is the top end of what a 1 in 9 can handle. Try the 68 gr. Hornaday, it is very close to the 69 sierra bullet in accuracy but a lot less expensive.