Thread: What do you guys know about Internet Security suite software?

Question What do you guys know about Internet Security suite software?

I've been running Norton Internet Security since they revamped the engine back in 2009. Earlier versions were widely known mostly for their bloat, just like McAfee still to this day -- the two main players from the early pioneering days of anti-virus software under MS-DOS. But the post-2009 NIS line was pretty damn well streamlined with an only 15MB memory foot-print, fast scan times, high detection rate, and ran well both on desktops and laptops/netbooks. Well, I just found out that Symantec (who bought Norton out years ago) is doing away with their old versions (NIS and Norton 360) and merging everything into their new plain-Jane "Norton Security" line. It's main "selling point" is it's universality, being able to work across all sorts of devices, including smartphones to tablets -- up to 5 devices under one license now, although the new product costs a whopping $80 just for one year of protection. I'm just afraid a unified interface like that is only going to bring back the bloat, so I'm now exploring other options since I always try to renew right around New Year's to remember when it's time.

I've seen all the good reviews about Bitdefender and Kapsersky, the latter which is kind of appealing because it's made in Russia, so less likelihood of them white-listing U.S. law enforcement agency trojan horse software like the FBI's "Magic Lantern" tool that Norton was accused of white-listing and letting through several years ago. I've also heard from a couple system administrator types who swear by WebRoot, which appears to be the cheapest top-tier player right now, supposedly even quicker than Norton although with a less-than-stellar malware detection rate.

With all the hacking scandals and stories about identity theft in the news right now, it just seems like a bad time to let anything lapse when it comes to computer security, especially if you do any online banking or e-commerce. Having just a basic freeware anti-virus program doesn't really seem like a very wise choice these days, when most of the paid options at least offer two-way software firewall and active keylogger detection feature should any "zero-day" malware get through. Even Mac and Linux aren't entirely safe these days.

Any thoughts/recommendations?
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Not a fan. Run antivirus. If you want a firewall, run a firewall. Browse responsibly. Be aware of your computer.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    Not a fan. Run antivirus. If you want a firewall, run a firewall. Browse responsibly. Be aware of your computer.
    I guess that's another option -- just use separate products.

Those AdBlock and NoScript add-ons for Firefox are still my main line of defense against web-hijacking attempts when viewing iffy web-sites, but I like knowing there's keylogger detection going on in the background as well in case something gets through. At least on my main e-commerce/banking machine. My gaming system I don't keep or do anything sensitive on there, so I really don't give a damn if one of those indy Steam games is all back-doored to hell or something, although I still like to run AV on it just to prevent anything malicious from infecting and interfering with any of my gaming executables and causing them not to load.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    ^^^ this 1000% ^^^

I never use any "virus protection" and have never gotten a virus, malware or any other problem. How?

• Don't use WinBlows
    • Use Linux
    • Don't use MSIE
    • Use Firefox
    • Don't open "male enhancement" emails
    • Use a hardware firewall/router
    • Don't expose my internal LAN to the outside WAN
    • Only open email from senders that I know
    • Don't use ANYTHING from Microslop

Besides, what does a virus do? SLOWS DOWN YOUR COMPUTER. What does Norton, McAfee and other similar software do? SLOWS DOWN YOUR COMPUTER.

If A = B then B = A, right?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    ^^^ this 1000% ^^^

I never use any "virus protection" and have never gotten a virus, malware or any other problem. How?

• Don't use WinBlows
    • Use Linux
    • Don't use MSIE
    • Use Firefox
    • Don't open "male enhancement" emails
    • Use a hardware firewall/router
    • Don't expose my internal LAN to the outside WAN
    • Only open email from senders that I know
    • Don't use ANYTHING from Microslop

Besides, what does a virus do? SLOWS DOWN YOUR COMPUTER. What does Norton, McAfee and other similar software do? SLOWS DOWN YOUR COMPUTER.

If A = B then B = A, right?
    Still have to ask Roger...if you've never run an anti-virus program, how would you know you've never had a virus?
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I've been running Malwarebytes Premium (the pay version) it seems to be doing it's job. I have the firewall on and site/rediretion blocking with regular scans...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have used Norton about 3 years in a row and then last year switched to Kaspersky. It was alright. This year I am back to Norton as it is rated just slightly higher than Kaspersky, but those two are about the same for protection and price.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Still have to ask Roger...if you've never run an anti-virus program, how would you know you've never had a virus?
    Because:

* I run Linux
    * I've never had a problem with my machine

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Because:

* I run Linux
    * I've never had a problem with my machine
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
    * Not all virii, etc., cause problems with your machine.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

The thing about linux hax is that most of them are geared towards making the nix box a bot to be controlled for ddos attacks rather than theft of your bank account. Also note that most of the major routers that run teh innernets runs on linux, so serious hackers (meaning they're out to make a point rather than steal money) will be trying to exploit linux rather than ms products. For example, the xmas takedown of the xbox game network was done apparently by hackers attacking the routers in the undersea cables, wich I have to assume are running a version of linux.

Now to the root of the thread, for ms products I suggest ms essentials, ccleaner, and superantispyware.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...tials-download
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

For adblocking, you might use a 3rd party router firmware and use one of the scripts available to stop them right in the router.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ad_blocking

http://tomatousb.org/
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php...locking.68464/
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
    * Not all virii, etc., cause problems with your machine.

Well, of course you're right. Kinda like Shingles. The virus may be in my computer, just waiting for it to get old enough to strike!

Oh, by the way, from your link (Wiki):

There has not yet been a single widespread Linux virus/malware infection of the type that is common on Microsoft Windows; this is attributable generally to the malware's lack of root access and fast updates to most Linux vulnerabilities
    Very true.

LAGC - I've been running 98 or XP since 1998 and I've only had one "virus" problem in all that time. And that turned out to be an infected email from, of all people, my mother!
    I use a combo of AVG Free AV, ZoneAlarm's free firewall, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Malwarebytes free version. All are free and seem to be doing the job.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”