Thread: what cleaning rod do you suggest?

what cleaning rod do you suggest?

I have coated steel, aluminum and brass.
    I have heard and read many stories how this will do that.
    steel is to hard, alum attracts dust and debris that can harm.
    so I just wanted to hear your input. right or wrong I trust your
    opinions above all others.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Simple answer....... go to any major Match and ask what the top shooters are using.
    Virtually every one will tell you they use either a one-piece polished stainless steel or one-piece carbon fiber rod.
    Few will tell you they use brass, aluminum, or a bore snake.

This is counterintuitive. You'd think that a soft metal rod would be less harmful, but the soft metal rods bend and flex easily, and grit can embed into the metal. The grit will transform a brass or aluminum rod into a lapping rod that will abrade the barrel.

I've used Dewey stainless rods for many years.
    My pistol rods are Pro-Shot stainless.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 12-29-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I personally use brass rod. Never had problems with it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

The instructor of an armorer's course I attended recommended one-piece rods. In fact, Dewey, as dfariswheel mentioned, was a brand he said was good. He said the screw-together types can bend/mushroom/deform at the connection points and mar up the bore, specifically the GI multi-piece rods. I've been lazy the past few years and have been using bore snakes.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

what is the advantage, if any, of a bore snake?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I use Dewy rods. I always take a solvent soaked patch and wipe a rod down before using it. If possible I also use a bore guide to assure centering of the rod. Most match shooters only clean in one direction, chamber to muzzle. When the brush or cleaning jag comes out of the muzzle they unscrew it and pull the rod back out. Repeat until finished.

On a bore snake; theory says more surface area and the ability to coil or wind it up to fit in a baggie in your pocket are the advantages. Otis systems are similar in that it coils up and can be carried in a pocket. You pull them from chamber to muzzle. There is the potential to lap the rifling asymmetrically if they get dirt / grit on them. Nobody with a $400 to $600 buck match barreled rifle is going to use one of these flexible cleaning system because of potential damage they might do to that barrel. You have an AK or SKS, eh these aren't tack drivers to start with. Field grade weapons, yeah for these types I can see them being used.

I personally have an Otis system cleaning kit that can clean everything from .22 LR to 12 GA. It all fits in a little round container about the size of a hockey puck. I keep it in my shooting box just in case I screw up and forget to take a real cleaning rod.

I have been using tipton one piece rods and really like them

The bore snake was invented for use as a fast method of wiping out a bore while in the field or in a hunting camp and be disposable.
    They were never intended to be the major method of cleaning a bore, and in fact don't do a very good job.
    Every time you pull it through, you're pulling the fouling and grit right back through again.
    Use a bore snake then clean again with a rod, patches, and bore solvent and you'll be amazed at what you get out.

The bore snake is sort of like taking a shower with your clothes on.

Another problem is that many people wash the snake over and over and keep reusing it. The snake will deteriorate and weaken. Sooner or later the smaller caliber snakes will break, leaving it stuck in the bore.
    The snake makers have no recommended method for extracting one that's stuck.

If you use it as intended and discard it when dirty, they are good for the intended purpose of a quick wipe out to hold the bore until you get home to your good rod and patches.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i qctually use bore snakes on my expensive target guns.

i dont clean with them, i clean teh guns at home with a real rod, but on a new gun, i use bore snakes at the range for barrel break in. i do a 50 shot break in, once a shot for the first 10, then every 5 till 50. so every one of my expensive target guns gets a bore snake run throuh it at least 18 times in its life. i try to do the break in procedure all on one sitting, and the guns get a real cleaning when they get home.

Ditto, all I use are Tipton Carbon Fiber Rods...

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I have been using tipton one piece rods and really like them