Thread: Suggestions for a tack driving .22 bolt action rifle

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Suggestions for a tack driving .22 bolt action rifle

Budget is about $600. Not interested in competition, just something that will shoot a bunny in the eye at 75 yards reliably
    Last edited by davepool; 12-30-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You would be surprised how good the very inexpensive Savage MkII is. Even with an reasonably priced scope, it is a tack driver. You could spend a lot more money, but not get much more accurate.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    You would be surprised how good the very inexpensive Savage MkII is. Even with an reasonably priced scope, it is a tack driver. You could spend a lot more money, but not get much more accurate.
    +1 to that. I have the Mark II FV-SR and love the accuracy potential that it has. I plan on throwing a sound suppressor onto it down the road. MSRP is less than $300, BTW. Put rings and a Leupold VX-1 scope onto it and you will sit at around $500.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    +1 to that. I have the Mark II FV-SR and love the accuracy potential that it has. I plan on throwing a sound suppressor onto it down the road. MSRP is less than $300, BTW. Put rings and a Leupold VX-1 scope onto it and you will sit at around $500.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR
    That looks like a really nice rifle. Might have to get one!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

This might be something to consider, too.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...eets/8307.html
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

They don't make them any more but when I was growing up Dad had a Remington 541S. They made a an S, T and heavy barrel T but the S (Sporter) is the only one I know about first hand and it was very accurate and real good looking to boot. I believe it used the same action as the top of the line target model Remington was making back then, 40X maybe. Might be worth a look if you can find one.

Don't recall what the actual group sizes Dad and I were getting with ours, that was back around 1973-74. Reviews I found indicate .5" groups at 50yds were not uncommon with Match ammo. I do know we head shot a lot of squirrels with it as well as crows, and cottontails. Would love to find another one.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 12-31-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

CMP has Savage target rifles for about $250 without shipping (http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...et-commercial/). I know you were not looking for target rifles but these are definitely within your price range.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Thanks for the info. I did look at that savage mark ll on their website, it does look like what i had in mind. Checked out some you tube videos ( for what that's worth ) and it may be the one. The best price i could find locally was at sportsmans warehouse, they have a mark ll TR for $450, 22'' fluted barrel with a nice heavy stock.

"Be vewy, vewy quite, i'm hunting bunny wabbits"