Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a Hi-Power

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Thinking about a Hi-Power

The P-35 Hi-Power is one of the iconic firearms I have never owned and was thinking I might try and acquire one this year. I've shot several different models at one of our WV C&R shoots that a member brought. One had some type of system where you pushed the cocked hammer forward and could then fire the first round double action. Thought that was pretty neat but other than that they all seemed to pretty much be a 1911 style handgun in a smaller caliber (higher capacity as well).

Was wondering what I might need to look out for when acquiring one? Milsurp or commercial? Is one assembled in Portugal ok or should I be looking for made and assembled in Belgium only? Certain production years, features, etc. that I should either look for or steer clear of? How are they for hammer bite? I like the looks of the traditional hammer just like on my 1911's but I always get bit so maybe a commander/rowel type hammer is the answer.

Any photos you all have you be appreciated as well. TIA

P.S. Are the FEG clones any good and if so how close to the original are they? Was considering one as a cheaper alternative if they are any good.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 01-03-2015 at 09:54 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

First off a Browning Hi-Power is a single action only pistol. I have a Belgian Police model. There is no push the hammer forward stuff. That sounds like the Daewoo pistol from Korea, they called it "Fast Fire" mode. The HP does have a magazine safety so that it can not be fired if the magazine is out. This is typical of European auto pistols. It can be removed, I did it to mine but it was so long ago I can't even tell you specifically how I did it. The short answer is you remove one small part from the weapon that links the magazine absence to blocking hammer fall. It also made the trigger pull a tad lighter after removal.

OK Editing to add the following:
    FN HP Series SA-SFS (Safe-Fast-Shooting)

< Back to FN HP or Hi Power
    View
    Variants
    For Sale
    Reviews
    Pictures (1)
    Videos

The HP-SA-SFS is the only patented system in the world that combines the performances of the single action and double action pistol mechanisms without any of their disadvantages.

By: Quinton Posted: May 2, 2008 Filed under: Pistols, FN Herstal, .40 S&W, Semi-Automatic

Carrying the pistol safely with a cartridge in the chamber is the basic principle of the HP-SA-SFS. The hammer is permanently in the double action mode, although the weapon always fires in single action position, allowing the shooter to fire quickly and be more accurate from the first shot.
    So evidently, (I was unaware that FN had developed this variant until now) they do have what you were talking about in a newer model. My statements are reflective of the original FN P35 Hi-Power single action pistols.

They are OK, mine isn't exactly a tack driver but it is 100% reliable. It always feeds and fires, but I wouldn't want to use it past about 15 yards or it might miss a torso. Yeah, that bad. My Glock 19 is much more accurate. I don't know if this Belgian Police pistol is an exceptionally bad example or typical for accuracy from the model. IMO if you're looking to add one to the collection just because you don't have one, well that's ok. But OTOH if you wanted to get one because it you thought it was going to be the best 9 mm ever ... forget about it.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 01-03-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Mostly just looking to add to the collection but would like to shoot it as well as I've always found that inaccurate guns are neither fun nor useful.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

I wish I knew where I could get ahold of one from the U.A.R.? I used to have one, never cared to get another, but if I could ever find a U.A.R. High Power it would add nicely to my Egyptian Beretta Helwan Pistol. anyone know where any are? Paul

What is U.A.R?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    What is U.A.R?
    United Arab Republic? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_Republic
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

P.S. Are the FEG clones any good and if so how close to the original are they? Was considering one as a cheaper alternative if they are any good.
    I have an israeli surplus FEG that's good. The thing to know about the hungarian clones is that they aren't all copies of the hi-power, some of them are closer to a S&W semi than a browning.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

The U.A.R. High Powers are hard to find, they were Issued before They went to the Helwan, and before Egypt broke off from Saudi Arabia and became just Egypt again. or the A.R.E. Arab Republic of Egypt. Paul

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The Hi-power that my father gave me has always been very accurate. At 15 yards it makes a small ragged hole.

Also, the slim slide and frame and short grip make it a very concealable handgun for 20'th century standards.

If I had lived in the days before Glocks and other wonder-nines, the Browing Hi-Power would have been my preferred automatic.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    The Hi-power that my father gave me has always been very accurate. At 15 yards it makes a small ragged hole.
    See this is what I was wondering. The Belgian Police HP I own can't keep 5 rounds on an 8 x 11" sheet of paper from sandbag rest on a concrete bench. At 15 yards I'm talking about a 4 to 5" group from bench. I can OTOH do the one raggedy hole thing with any of the 3 Glock 19's I own. I'd held the HP and always wanted one. Took me 20 years to finally get one and it has been a complete disappointment.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a new barrel for it to see if that would help it. The original barrel is spotless looking, sharp rifling, no damage of any kind. Something is the cause of the poor accuracy. Someday I'll either figure it out or sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    See this is what I was wondering. The Belgian Police HP I own can't keep 5 rounds on an 8 x 11" sheet of paper from sandbag rest on a concrete bench. At 15 yards I'm talking about a 4 to 5" group from bench. I can OTOH do the one raggedy hole thing with any of the 3 Glock 19's I own. I'd held the HP and always wanted one. Took me 20 years to finally get one and it has been a complete disappointment.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a new barrel for it to see if that would help it. The original barrel is spotless looking, sharp rifling, no damage of any kind. Something is the cause of the poor accuracy. Someday I'll either figure it out or sell it.
    That sucks. I'm no Hi-power expert, but I believe that is uncommon. Or maybe it is because you have a surplus gun and I have a commercial model.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I have several, Some nice ones are C&R. Inglis, WWII German and post-war from the 50's.
    Img2006-12-09164535_01.jpg
    Img2003-02-27131912.jpg

Should I be looking at something from the 60's, current production? I doubt that I would use it for CCW but just in case is the HP pretty much good to go with defensive ammo or does it prefer ball? I'm gonna keep an eye out at my local gun shops and shows and see what I can find. What kind of prices are these bringing on the used market?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post

Also, the slim slide and frame and short grip make it a very concealable handgun for 20'th century standards.

If I had lived in the days before Glocks and other wonder-nines, the Browing Hi-Power would have been my preferred automatic.

This is exactly what has drawn me to this gun. What an iconic look.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

If I was going to get one, I'd get a more modern production so I could get some custom work done on it wihtout harming its value, simple stuff like checkering the front and back strap, trigger job, sights, etc.

but then I'd probrably want to have one in original condition so I'd need two.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    If I was going to get one, I'd get a more modern production so I could get some custom work done on it wihtout harming its value, simple stuff like checkering the front and back strap, trigger job, sights, etc.

I like the looks of this one a lot though I don't figure I'll be getting it customized. All I really need a is a strong shooter that I can plink with or use as a car/house gun if needed.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Should I be looking at something from the 60's, current production? I doubt that I would use it for CCW but just in case is the HP pretty much good to go with defensive ammo or does it prefer ball? I'm gonna keep an eye out at my local gun shops and shows and see what I can find. What kind of prices are these bringing on the used market?
    You'll have to test it for function with HP ammo. Older guns were meant for FMJ, but many of them feed HP, and the newer guns (like the Mk III) should be built for use with HP ammo.

My classic Hi-power runs hollow-points fine, so just test your gun to see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post

Nice!

Yes, I'd love to have a "modernized" hi-power. The one pictured looks absolutely sweet.

IF I got another again I think I would just Spring for a nice Inglis with tangent Sights and a good stock .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast