Thread: Bunny killer targets

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Smile Bunny killer targets

Got the Savage Mark ll TR out on this freakin freezin ass day and shot a few targets:

First up : RWS R100 premium, all 5 shot groups at 50 yds, not real thrilled, except for the two groups in the lower left side.

Next up, Lapua X ACT, this stuff was $25 a box, meh so so.

Next up RWS Rifle match , 10 shot group, fired the first 5 with a very dirty bore, cleaned it up and shot the circled group in the center.

Next Eley Tennex, ugh, rifle no likey. In fairness i was getting really cold, could not feel my fingers and got in a hurry cause i wanted to leave, also shot with a very dirty bore, slight east to west breeze maybe 5 mph

Last and most impressive for what it is, Blazer bulk ammo $24/500. Clean bore the 3 flyers could be called fouling shots, 7 in the same hole(almost) after that. I weighed each round on my scale, all 10 were exactly 50.8 grains.
    I like a rifle that will shoot cheap ammo this well.

Still have a lot of testing to do with other ammo when it's not so fucking cold. Yea i know 35* isn't cold to most of you, but i'm a desert rat who puts on a coat when it drops below 70

50 yards isn't really a good test IMHO and my goal was to test each type of ammo at 50 &100 yds but you know, FUCKING BRRRR

Overall, i like this rifle and it's worth what i paid for it. Has a nice solid feel when operating the bolt, mags lock in tight.

Watch out bunny wabbits, i'm comin for ya.
    Last edited by davepool; 01-03-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Interesting how different the groupings are for the different ammo. I know different ammo is better or worse, but wow. Still think you will be able to get bunnies with any of them.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

this and your other thread have me interested in these rifles. I would probarably get one of the ones with the laminate stock. They had one I like over at Bud's for $375

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

.22 LR results are widely different for any ammo type and it really usually comes down to how the chamber is cut. The .22 LR is a "Healed" bullet design. The Heal is the part of the bullet inside the case. But the main body of the bullet is the same diameter as the outside of the case. This is a hold over from the early origins of the .22 rimfire round. It was originally black powder charged.

Often .22 LR rifles or handguns will do better with quality but non match grade ammo than high dollar ammo. Really a lot of the accuracy comes down to finding the ammo and bullet shape that works well with the chamber cut in the barrel of the particular weapon. The other aspect can be how damaged the O.D. of the bullet is on common bulk ammo vs. high end match ammo. Usually you'll find the expensive ammo is very pristine and has no dents or scratches in that bullet O.D. The bulk ammo will have a lot of small dings in it. Match guns have match chambers, common hunting rifles usually don't have a chamber that is as tight as a match gun will have. Possibly why super expensive ammo often doesn't shoot as well as the cheap stuff in a field grade weapon.

CCI usually comes off as some of the best lower cost high quality ammo for accuracy. Green Tag which is CCI's match grade ammo has done well in several rifles I've shot or owned. I've had variable luck with Aguila Rifle Match ammo, some did well with it, some didn't.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 01-03-2015 at 11:07 PM.

I have a lot of CCI i will test next time out, standard velocity, mini mag, velocitor and stinger ( i'll try to find some green tag) and still have a few different varieties of match ammo i want to try. The blazer really surprised me. I got bored one day and decided to segregate a hundred rounds by weight, ended up with 9 groups separated by a tenth of a grain, who knows maybe it helped get that 7 shot one hole group.

I got three more weekends to play around with this and then i need to focus on getting ready for the NMLRA Western National Shoot in March, gonna try and break the record in the aggregate i won last year.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    this and your other thread have me interested in these rifles. I would probarably get one of the ones with the laminate stock. They had one I like over at Bud's for $375
    I'm glad i asked for suggestions in my other thread, helped me make this choice. When i find the ammo it shoots well at 50 yds, i'll move out to 100, that will be the rifles real test.

I liked the laminated stock also,but sportsmans warehouse didn't have one in stock. The wood stock on this one is heavy,solid and fits the action very well.

I have 4 other center fire Savages and they all shoot well, my 116 hunter in 7mm mag will shoot 200 yd groups like the ones on the shoot and see target
    Last edited by davepool; 01-04-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I got three more weekends to play around with this and then i need to focus on getting ready for the NMLRA Western National Shoot in March, gonna try and break the record in the aggregate i won last year.
    What aggregate did you win?

In-line bench rest. It was my first competition, so i picked the easy one . Used a CVA Accurra V2.

Also shot in the revolver aggregate, absolutely sucked, got a 265 out of 400. Hope to do better this year, been practicing my off hand pistol shooting, might break 300 this year