Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else remember when these were a dime a dozen?

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Anyone else remember when these were a dime a dozen?

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Wow......

Glad I have 20 of these babies lying around....AKs have gone mainstream at this point....Everything is so expensive for them now day its crazy.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Seems like only yesterday they were $5 each. Didn't know there was such a demand for 5.45x39.

I will give up my 5.45x39 before paying that much for a cheap-a$$ mag!

And feel sorry for those first now trying to get into this infringed upon sport.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Remember Russian AK74 mags at $5 bucks no. I do remember East German Bakelites for as little as $3 bucks each. But for real deal Russian Bakelite magazines I remember that price as typical.

Wow...better than gold. I've got a tub full of those with the original paper wrapping, mine are EG tho

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Remember Russian AK74 mags at $5 bucks no. I do remember East German Bakelites for as little as $3 bucks each. But for real deal Russian Bakelite magazines I remember that price as typical.
    Yeah, I checked my stash and found them almost all to be German, but I don't remember ever paying that much for the couple that are Russian.

Once again an import bans driving prices to crazy levels.

This guy was selling them for $150!
    http://www.rrcfirearms.com/pd-izhmas...e-magazine.cfm

Man, I need to throw my handful of Izhmash 5.45 bakelites on Armslist. I didn't pay any more than $15-20 each for them 12-13 years ago. I don't even own a 5.45 AK.

I was getting EG's for as low as $2 each.

BUT the russian mags were always $20-45 , Just cause they're russian .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Holy crap! It looks like the E. German 5.45 bakelites are also demanding a premium. WTF?

$45? $80?!!!

http://whatacountry.com/ak-74magsegerman30round.aspx
    http://www.floridaarmory.com/East-Ge...30rd-Mags.html

The world is upside-down. AKs used to be cheaper than dog crap and ARs were like gold. Now it's the other way around.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I remember seeing russian plum mags at a show for like $10 a pop, I got bulgarian poly's (black and brown) for $7.50 each from the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Holy crap! It looks like the E. German 5.45 bakelites are also demanding a premium. WTF?

$45? $80?!!!

http://whatacountry.com/ak-74magsegerman30round.aspx
    http://www.floridaarmory.com/East-Ge...30rd-Mags.html

The world is upside-down. AKs used to be cheaper than dog crap and ARs were like gold. Now it's the other way around.
    I don't believe it is the world upside-down as much as it is our government using the constitution commerce clause to block importations of stuff they don't want us to have, like real deal Russian firearms and their accessories. Import bans have turned into a great way to stomp on our second amendment rights without leaving boot prints.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The dollar has lost its value internationally while domestic AR manufacturing has become cheaper due to a greater number of manufacturers and ARs being well suited to American CNC based cottage industries.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

This is strange... I always thought the 5.45 bakelite mags were cheap and plentiful and 7.62x39 ones were expensive and hard to find. Seems the 7.62x39's are going cheaper now. If I owned a 5.45 I wouldn't touch one of these at THAT price. Hell, Only reason I thought the Bakelite 7.62x39 was worth the $35 or so I paid is because the shipping was free and they were in flawless condition (unexpected of milsurp).
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

One thing I don't understand, is why one VERY rarely EVER sees any of the new made 5.45 mags from the last 10 years?

It can't all be embargoes.....
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    This is strange... I always thought the 5.45 bakelite mags were cheap and plentiful and 7.62x39 ones were expensive and hard to find. Seems the 7.62x39's are going cheaper now. If I owned a 5.45 I wouldn't touch one of these at THAT price. Hell, Only reason I thought the Bakelite 7.62x39 was worth the $35 or so I paid is because the shipping was free and they were in flawless condition (unexpected of milsurp).
    LOL. Apparently no one here has ever owned Heckler & Koch weapons! If you want to get raped, trying being an HK94 owner back in the day and get magazines (back when no one made them domestically).

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    LOL. Apparently no one here has ever owned Heckler & Koch weapons! If you want to get raped, trying being an HK94 owner back in the day and get magazines (back when no one made them domestically).
    With Classic H&K (before the German Govt. took over majority control) it was all because of the "middleman"....now...however many years it has been within the last decade or so, not only are there still "middlemen" but now we have to deal with Germany herself.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

From the late 1990's I was able to get $45 / mag for a HK G3 magazine. Granted they were steel vs. the aluminum ones, but for a time there were very very few HK G3 magazines in the US. Guys would snap them up every time I could get a few to put out for sale. It always come down to supply vs. demand.

From the late 1990's I was able to get $45 / mag for a HK G3 magazine. Granted they were steel vs. the aluminum ones, but for a time there were very very few HK G3 magazines in the US. Guys would snap them up every time I could get a few to put out for sale. It always come down to supply vs. demand.
    That was during HERR KLINTOON's infamous Assault weapon ban era, when High Caps were banned from new manufacture and we ALL were paying through the nose for high caps. I remember paying $150 or more for some of the RARER high cap mags.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    You're right, I've never owned an HK, and the cost is why. Shot a semi auto G3, and it was a very nice rifle. But not worth the money. One can find equal weapons elsewhere for half that cost. I don't have enough of a hard on for HK to justify the price of one, let alone their mags.

ETA: I also like bakelites, but I don't love them enough to pay $50 each. And if steel mags start hitting those prices... I'll just buy a shit ton of Crapco and Magpul AK mags.
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 01-09-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    You're right, I've never owned an HK, and the cost is why. Shot a semi auto G3, and it was a very nice rifle. But not worth the money. One can find equal weapons elsewhere for half that cost. I don't have enough of a hard on for HK to justify the price of one, let alone their mags.

ETA: I also like bakelites, but I don't love them enough to pay $50 each. And if steel mags start hitting those prices... I'll just buy a shit ton of Crapco and Magpul AK mags.
    During the 94-2004 CLINTON BAN, HK MP5 mags were going for $150-200 a piece !!!!!

Also remember the HK Customer Service Motto: "HK! Because you suck and we hate you!" hahahahaha
    Last edited by tank_monkey; 01-09-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast