Thread: Question, getting video/pics off microsd cards from gopro and other cameras with XP?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Question, getting video/pics off microsd cards from gopro and other cameras with XP?

Having trouble with two camera's. I have a gopro hero3+ and the camera that came with my drone. They both use microsd cards. I cannot get anything off the cards both in the camera and with a dedicated card reader in XP. Boot into 7 and I can get the video and pics no problem. XP says the media is unformatted, would you like to format now. If I click yes, it fails to format. Is there something I need or can? add to XP to see microSD cards?
    Gopro has minimum requirements of 7 for their software suite, but you'd think I could still get the data off a card with XP.

How many GB are the sd cards? It may be a limitation of 32bit windows and how large is recognized by XP, which would be why XP sees them as unformatted, and won't format them.

Edited to add:

You may need this XP Hotfix to read SD cards larger than 2 GB: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...v3-x86-ENU.exe
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 01-15-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Wrong platform. Sorry should have indicated XP64 64GB microsd.

Are the Win7 and XP 64 machines different computers, or is it a dual boot?

Also, are you using the same card reader/writer on both computers (if not a dual boot system)?
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Are the Win7 and XP 64 machines different computers, or is it a dual boot?

Also, are you using the same card reader/writer on both computers (if not a dual boot system)?
    Dual boot. Card reader is on the same machine. Just tried the card with a USB adapter on another machine XP32bit same thing.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 01-15-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Dual boot. Card reader is on the same machine. Just tried the card with a USB adapter on another machine XP32bit same thing.
    Try that hotfix linked to above on xp32bit machine...if the card reads then, try the same hotfix on the xp64bit partition. If it won't install on 64bit, you may need to find the 64bit hotfix version of that install...

At least we know it's not the reader, as that card is an SDXC card...can't be read by readers designed for SDHC cards, at least not without an update of some kind (generally firmware).
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 01-15-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Ahhh...you may need this update on those XP installs: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ng=en&id=19364

You may be missing a driver for the exFAT file system, needed for the SDXC cards.

Check this article, about half way down: https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdx...#cards-for-pcs

...sounds exactly like the error you're reporting...
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 01-16-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Ahhh...you may need this update on those XP installs: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ng=en&id=19364

You may be missing a driver for the exFAT file system, needed for the SDXC cards.

Check this article, about half way down: https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdx...#cards-for-pcs

...sounds exactly like the error you're reporting...
    You tha MAN! Thanks a bunch, went to the link searched for the x64 update. installed rebooted, presto. reads the card. It's just incredible that this fingernail sized module can contain 64GB! I started on real puters back when 512K was the memory size on my Amstrad and the processor was a 2?mhz 8086/8088 A 20 MB harddrive was a luxury. Actually before that on the Commodore64 with tape drive, moving up to an awesome floppy drive.....
    Thanks again.

Actually before that on the Commodore64 with tape drive
    Those Commie tape cassette drives were the bomb. Could hold a whopping 100K of storage per 30-minute side. That was more than you ever needed, especially with the VIC-20's whopping 20K of working memory. (28K with the expansion cartridge.)

Last edited by LAGC; 01-17-2015 at 02:14 AM.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

You tha MAN! Thanks a bunch, went to the link searched for the x64 update. installed rebooted, presto. reads the card. It's just incredible that this fingernail sized module can contain 64GB! I started on real puters back when 512K was the memory size on my Amstrad and the processor was a 2?mhz 8086/8088 A 20 MB harddrive was a luxury. Actually before that on the Commodore64 with tape drive, moving up to an awesome floppy drive.....
    Thanks again.
    Any time my friend!

You only owe me your first born mil vehicle...I'll be up to pick it up and drive it home next week.

Seriously though...started with a commie 64 myself, then a 386SuX with a 60 meg drive...how far we've come!

Any time my friend!

You only owe me your first born mil vehicle...I'll be up to pick it up and drive it home next week.

Seriously though...started with a commie 64 myself, then a 386SuX with a 60 meg drive...how far we've come!
    Sometimes i wish for those days. The days of DOS when you had to buy a book and figure out how to do things. Then again it was pretty frustrating trying to get a game to run.